• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Comics Superman Comics Reccomendations

Oh, and now that the whole thing is out, All-Star Superman. One of the craziest, largest-scale Supes stories ever. It's a little Silver-Agey (and by 'a little,' I mean 'extremely'), but if you don't mind a bit of wackiness in your comics, you can't go wrong with it.

Volume 1 is already out. The last issue of the series came out this month, so it'll probably be another couple of months before Vol. 2 is released.

Just read All-Star Superman. Pretty good, although I wanted something more in-continuity. Maybe I'll try Action comics next?

Oh, and now that the whole thing is out, All-Star Superman. One of the craziest, largest-scale Supes stories ever. It's a little Silver-Agey (and by 'a little,' I mean 'extremely'), but if you don't mind a bit of wackiness in your comics, you can't go wrong with it.

You really can't. For my money, it's the best Superman story written so far.

I don't see why a lot of Superman fans have a problem with Byrne's birthing matrix depiction. I find it brilliant and it has a very alien/advanced civilization sentimentality. In any case, I really like all the posts so far. I've read every issue recommended and I agree to them all. However, I want to reiterate a very important issue, which, I believe, every Superman fan needs to have in their collection. Only one other person on this thread posted it, so I second his recommendation; if you were to get one Superman book, I would suggest:
.............Action Comics #775...............
AC775supes.jpg

This, IMHO, is the greatest Superman story of our generation. It updates the world on who Superman is, why he does what he does, why he believes what he believes, and demonstrates how powerful, wise, and compassionate Superman is. Awesome book.

I would also recommend a couple of one shots from 1991:
AdventuresOfSupermanAnnual3.jpg
ActionAnnual3.jpg

These two books are from DC's Armageddon 2001 cataclysm series. However, you needn't read the whole Armageddon 2001 series to understand these two books because these two issues showcase "possible Superman timelines," but may be considered as part of continuity. One possible timeline depicts Superman leaving earth and hooking up with Maxima. While the other book obviously showcases a possible timeline where Superman becomes the President of the USA (which cannot be possible without Byrne's reboot of Superman). Both are very good reads, but if you're also interested in non-continuity, I would suggest these Elseworlds titles:
JLANail1.jpg
AdventuresOfSupermanAnnual6.jpg

These two books are awesome. The nail may not show any Superman till the last few pages of the series, but is a phenomenal story of why the JLA and the world needs Superman. While the other book shows a sad future of earth overthrown by aliens who cause the people of earth to turn on Superman and the JLA. Although both books are exceptional, the Nail is one of my favorites.

I also agree with other posters for their recommendations of: Superman for All Seasons, Kingdom Come, Red Son, All-stars as great Superman books.

What are the comis that Richard Donner did, was that All-Star? Or was it Action?

I agree with Superman2008 - the Elseworlds Annuals were all excellent. The Superman ones in particular are very good.

Highly recommend Adventures Annual 6(pictured above) and its companion Superboy Annual 1 (completes the story)

Also Man of Steel Annual 3 is an excellent Superman / Batman Elseworlds tale.

Superman2008, Action Comics 775 is my favorite Superman story after All-Star Superman and Kingdom Come. It's brilliant, and you're dead on about it being relevant for this generation.

I just read issue 1 of Superman Beyond 3D and it blew my mind!!!!

Superman2008, Action Comics 775 is my favorite Superman story after All-Star Superman and Kingdom Come. It's brilliant, and you're dead on about it being relevant for this generation.

Is it a TPB story arc at all?

What are the comis that Richard Donner did, was that All-Star? Or was it Action?

Action, specifically the arc 'Last Son.' It's out in TPB now, and while not quite as good as the current Brainiac arc, it's still a fun read.

I don't see why a lot of Superman fans have a problem with Byrne's birthing matrix depiction. I find it brilliant and it has a very alien/advanced civilization sentimentality. In any case, I really like all the posts so far. I've read every issue recommended and I agree to them all. However, I want to reiterate a very important issue, which, I believe, every Superman fan needs to have in their collection. Only one other person on this thread posted it, so I second his recommendation; if you were to get one Superman book, I would suggest:
.............Action Comics #775...............
AC775supes.jpg

This, IMHO, is the greatest Superman story of our generation. It updates the world on who Superman is, why he does what he does, why he believes what he believes, and demonstrates how powerful, wise, and compassionate Superman is. Awesome book.

I would also recommend a couple of one shots from 1991:
AdventuresOfSupermanAnnual3.jpg
ActionAnnual3.jpg

These two books are from DC's Armageddon 2001 cataclysm series. However, you needn't read the whole Armageddon 2001 series to understand these two books because these two issues showcase "possible Superman timelines," but may be considered as part of continuity. One possible timeline depicts Superman leaving earth and hooking up with Maxima. While the other book obviously showcases a possible timeline where Superman becomes the President of the USA (which cannot be possible without Byrne's reboot of Superman). Both are very good reads, but if you're also interested in non-continuity, I would suggest these Elseworlds titles:
JLANail1.jpg
AdventuresOfSupermanAnnual6.jpg

These two books are awesome. The nail may not show any Superman till the last few pages of the series, but is a phenomenal story of why the JLA and the world needs Superman. While the other book shows a sad future of earth overthrown by aliens who cause the people of earth to turn on Superman and the JLA. Although both books are exceptional, the Nail is one of my favorites.

I also agree with other posters for their recommendations of: Superman for All Seasons, Kingdom Come, Red Son, All-stars as great Superman books.

Don't forget that the "Superboy Annual #1" was the second part of that "Adventures of Superman Elseworlds." (Tried to find a pic, but I couldn't...:csad:)

No it's a single issue. It's collected in the greatest Superman stories ever told.

:huh:I have volumes 1 and 2 of GSSET, dont seem to recall it, what was the story about?

Action, specifically the arc 'Last Son.' It's out in TPB now, and while not quite as good as the current Brainiac arc, it's still a fun read.

Not out on TPB here yet, only hardback, will be getting it as soon as it is though.

Well, I have just finished reading Birthright for the first time and I have to say, I thought it was simply superb. I found it very easy to sympathise with Superman in this story, because they made him so human, and this isnt always the case in Superman comics. I felt a lot of Superman in this story was actually presented the way he was in SR, which I loved, but I also found it very emotional, especially towards the end, and that last shot, we he manages to tell Jor-El and Lara that he did in fact, make it to his destination, made me get a lump in my throat.

It was very emotional and the perfect way to end the story. Sure I could have done without such things as soul vision and Clark being a vegetarian, but overall, I found the story totally spot on. One of the best Superman reads I have had in a while, highly recommended to anyone who hanst read it as of yet.

Haven't read Birthright in awhile. Think I will sometime over the break this week.

Alan Moore's "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" is excellent. I also enjoyed Paul Dini and Alex Ross' "Superman: Peace on Earth."

Anyone have any classic Superboy (not the clone, but the young Clark Kent) stories they'd like to recommend?

thanks superman2008..i am gonna check these out

i personally like peace on earth, birthright, kingdome come, and superman for all seasons...

i like the longer novel kinds of stuff...thanks for all the recomendations guys!

Haven't read Birthright in awhile. Think I will sometime over the break this week.

Was my first time reading it and I thought it was superb, great Superman story, for the most part anyway.

This is just awesome. This board is full of life. I was on a couple other Superman boards and they are slow and nothing really happening. I'm glad I found this site.

HUGE Superman fan..I just recently started back up in comics when I heard Superman had a new writer. The New Krypton series is awesome, and I'm loving getting back into Superman. It's been ages, literally, since the last time I remember I was into comics, and I'm only 20, so the last time I was into it was with my brother when were were like, 10.

Reading all these recommendations on TPB, I'm eager to get back on track and understanding the world of Superman and where he's at today and the yesteryears, and understanding. It gets confusing and I know I must dig deep esp.in certain TPB stories.

Kingdom Come is high on my wish lish. For me to start out, what do you guys think I should get, and which ones come in order?

Thanks in advance,
Tra-EL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"