• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Superman III Superman III

Reaction score
What the hell did I see?!!!

Someone please get Ja Rule on the phone!

I can't.

How does this film happen?

I like this film, don't think it's as bad as it's made out to be. I would have been interested to see what they would have done had they allowed them to use Brainiac. I mean I doubt that Ilya treatment that leaked would have been greenlit but it would have been interesting to see what could have been.

There's actually a couple of scenes that I like in Superman III. I don't like anything about Superman IV.

What the hell did I see?!!!

Someone please get Ja Rule on the phone!

I can't.

How does this film happen?

Well,as legend has it: One night Richard Pryor was on the Tonight Show and told Johnny Carson "I'd like to get in one of those Superman movies!" And the Salkinds,having fired Dick Donner unceremoniously,were without any better ideas going forward.So they called Pryor up,took the kernel of an idea for a script with "Brainiac" as the villain and without Hackman (who bailed following Donner's firing) they brought in Robert Vaughn as sort of the poor man's Luthor,and made that wacky little bit of business known as Superman III.

Superman 3 may be one of the worst superhero films I've ever seen. That opening credit sequence just goes on and on and isn't even remotely funny. Clark's return to Smallville doesn't really pay off, and Lana isn't nearly as interesting a character as Lois was. Apparently the idiots who made this film had no idea what to do with Pryor, so they just told him "be funny" and barely gave him any direction on the set. Not only is Pryor annoying in this film, but he seems to have more screentime than Reeve does. The bad Superman stuff is admittedly pretty good, and drunk Superman was funny, but they really botched his character when he screwed the blonde "bimbo" villain and then told her "I'm not that man anymore" later when they meet again. That's...not how Superman is. Also, what the hell happened to the fake kryptonite that made him evil? Unless I missed something, nothing's ever mentioned about it again. He just has this battle with himself and that's it.

I haven't watched the Schumacher Batman films in years, but this seems to be right along their level of stupid humor.

Serves them right. They wanted a campy Superman film instead of the serious tone Donner presented that made the first one and a half Superman films classics. They got a colossal failure of a film that sidetracked Superman for decades. Years later they do the same stupid **** with Batman.

Serves them right. They wanted a campy Superman film instead of the serious tone Donner presented that made the first one and a half Superman films classics. They got a colossal failure of a film that sidetracked Superman for decades. Years later they do the same stupid **** with Batman.

It's amazing that for so many years studios were clueless about superhero films and thought that, because they couldn't take them seriously, audiences wouldn't either, despite all the evidence to the contrary. I mean, the Superman movie respected the source material and was huge...and then the studio panics and thinks they need to add humor because Superman's a dumb premise anyway, and the films start to bomb. Then Burton's Batman comes out, which is a more serious take on the character...and the studio thinks that what the series needs is more lame slapstick and jokey set pieces, and the franchise dies specifically because of this. Even though I'm getting burned out on the whole "dark and gritty" trend in superhero films, I'd much rather see this than the garbage we used to get where the studios and filmmakers just flat-out had contempt for the material and thought it was all a joke.

The biggest problem with Superman III is that it feels like a Superman Movie and a Richard Pryor "80's Family Comedy" is fighting for screen time in the same picture.

And unfortunately,Pryor's wins the fight for screen time.

Overall,the film is horrible but how can anyone not love the Clark vs. Superman fight?

The junk yard fight is the only scene worth watching.

The junk yard fight is the only scene worth watching.

Totally disagree, there's some of the best flying FX of the series, the Evil Superman stuff and Superman vs the Machine aswell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"