Superman III Superman III - The Official Thread

One-on-One Interview with Producer Ilya Salkind

"Superman III" earned mixed reviews and a respectable $60 million domestic gross. "I guess I would love to have done 'Superman III' the way I had written it with [Brainiac and Mxyzptlk]," Salkind considered in hindsight. The third movie "was just a separate adventure," Salkind said, explaining, "I mean he [Superman] solved his own problem."

My favorite part was clark dancing at his HS reunion.

You know I actually quite like this film now, I've found a whole new appreciation for it

I'm not gonna lie. I love this movie. It sucks, but I love it.

this.

visually,it looked gorgeous,and the effects work for the Superman films was at it's peak (especially considering what came next!)

Reeve was at his confident best here. he WAS Superman by this point.

and I will forever be grateful that,finally,they made Clark an actual character,with his own wants and needs,his own character arc,love interest,and even villain in Brad.

Vaughn was pretty good as basically pseudo-Luthor,if the character had been a corporate tycoon in the "Lexcorp" vein.

they even gave Jimmy Olsen a little bit to do for once.

and,of course, Bad Superman is great!

Reeve was at his confident best here. he WAS Superman by this point.

and I will forever be grateful that,finally,they made Clark an actual character,with his own wants and needs,his own character arc,love interest,and even villain in Brad.

and,of course, Bad Superman is great!

I fully agree with these points. This movie really isn't as bad as people make it out to be. My favorite scene out of any Superman film is his conflict within himself played out as Clark vs Superman.

As you said too, he just seemed so much like Superman in this one. More seasoned, a little rugged aged look, and made Clark not such a bumbling fool.

BKak7psCAAAD_Z4.jpg:large

I fully agree with these points. This movie really isn't as bad as people make it out to be. My favorite scene out of any Superman film is his conflict within himself played out as Clark vs Superman.

As you said too, he just seemed so much like Superman in this one. More seasoned, a little rugged aged look, and made Clark not such a bumbling fool.

I agree. Superman was more commanding, such as when he's talking with the firemen at the Smallville plant and later when he confronts Ross and co. at the cave. Clark was still clumsy and square, but it was toned down to a more realistic degree while still keeping Clark as a distinct personality from Superman.

This movie could benefit a lot from a fan edit.

Redo the opening titles like they were in the previous two movies. At the power plant the radioactive material to remain green, such material wouldn't turn red as it became more volatile. Remove Gus from falling off the skyscraper. At the reunion sequence remove the class photos that magically show up on screen to the audience. At the end of the film make it look like a green Kryptonite force field around Superman instead of a silly rubber bubble. Remove the lady turning into a robot, because she scared the heck out of me when I was a child.

Last edited:
yeah,the rubber bubble thing pissed me off.

"let's see how long he can go without oxygen"... considering the guy flies in space,where there's NO F$%KING OXYGEN!!!

The best scene in that movie is Clark vs Superman.

With Superman 3, you have some decent scenes involving Clark's return to Smallville, along with Annette O'Toole playing Lana (not bad casting back then TBH), and Bad Superman providing some humorous moments with, of course, the junkyard fight. Never was a big hater on Richard Pryor either. Though some may not have wanted Pryor in a Superman movie, which is understandable, I never found the guy dull and boring.

That opening credits sequence really set he tone for how far the series had fallen right up front. But I gotta say, that photobooth gag cracked me the f*** up.

I had a hard time re-watching this the other night. A lot of scenes drag on and go nowhere. A bunch of boring villains and lame gags. Why couldn't the manufactured kryptonite just be red? Why couldn't the computer just become Braniac? The weird almost-from-the-comics-but-not thing going on is only a bitter reminder of how things are adapted from superior material.

Weak film as a whole – but damn entertaining at times.

It's my favorite of the original movies. I loved that Clark finally had some personality and we received new charecters in Lana Lang and Ross Webster. The Superman/Clark fight is probably the best in the series and we also returned to Smallville.

I'll always have a soft spot for this movie, but it was a disappointment.

Robot Lady haunted my nightmares for years.

I read that the video game sequence which Ross plays was from an aborted attempt by Atari to license a SIII video game which is funny to include it in the movie since it makes it seem that Ross is losing his rockets because and the points are going to Superman.

The fact that they came close to completely writing Lois out of the film alone tells me it was a horrible idea.

I've come to really enjoy this, I've always enjoyed enjoyed parts of it but now I like the whole film from start to finish. It has some of the best moments of the entire series (Power Plant rescue, Evil Superman, Junkyard scene to name a few) and now I even enjoy Richard Pryor in it. I think it definitely gets a bad wrap and its better than Superman Returns.

I've always been a fan of Pryor, but did not like his part in this. To me, it was some of his worst work. The other parts you mention are among some of the best in the series.

I had a hard time re-watching this the other night. A lot of scenes drag on and go nowhere. A bunch of boring villains and lame gags. Why couldn't the manufactured kryptonite just be red? Why couldn't the computer just become Braniac? The weird almost-from-the-comics-but-not thing going on is only a bitter reminder of how things are adapted from superior material.

I think the kryptonite has to be green in order to preserve the twist that it isn't normal kryptonite. And the supercomputer is too different to just call it Brainiac. It was designed and built on Earth rather than being extraterrestrial as it should be, and it was an actual computer as opposed to a green-skinned android. It's a little like saying the evil Superman is Bizarro just because he's an evil Superman. Where's the Bizarro logic? The white, craggy skin? He's simply Superman with a bad attitude, there's nothing particularly bizarre about him, which is the whole point.

I don't know how Superman could be given that piece of Kryptonite and don't go "Oh no, it's Kryptonite!" even if he didn't feel the effects.

That was an odd scene, I agree. What would have worked for me is if the kryptonite were fashioned into something other than a raw crystal so that it looked like something that could be given as an award, like a ring or a statue.

I made a fanedit of this...cut out 90% of Richard Pryor's part and made it a decent movie.

Any chance we could see that cut C. Lee? I always felt the movie would be decent without the excessive goofball comedy and Richard Pryor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"