Superman Returns Superman Returns box office: an Explaination

buggs, my man, you are too funny for words. Geez, grow a pair and go away before your dignity is completely lost.

You have an opinion (everyone does), but just accept that SR will most likely have a sequel. You can choose not to see it when it comes out and pretend it doesn't exist.

BTW, the poster who started this thread, good analogy. A bit lengthy, but thought out nonetheless. Wish I could say the same for buggs.
Who the heck are you now. Grow a pair? I got a pair. You guys are the ones who believe in some stupid theory about SR failed at the box office because it was released on the 4th of July weekend. I mentioned it to a few of my friends in the industry and they laughed. "Oh yeah, releasing it on the 4th of July did it?" That is what the basis of this thread is about. I have already shown how many movies released on or within that weekend went on to become either the biggest money makers of the year, or within the top 10. The notion that Excel makes of it being released on the 4th weekend is stupid.

And again, I don't know you. Never spoke to you. All this antagonism from two guys towards a guy who you have never met or spoken to before in regards to a film. Well, again, have fun in make believe land believing that SR didn't do big box office because it was released on the biggest release date weekend of the year for studios. Whatever excuse you guys need to tell yourselves to delude yourself about SR's box office is fine with me.

I have a question for you two. Does it really ruin your day's that someone talks antagonistically about SR, and shines the light of reality on your stupid film. I mean, I was attacking Excel's theory, and you guys had to do personal attacks on me. Someone you don't even know. About a movie. I guess the SR Nazi's/Excuse Crew will live on forever. Well, again, have fun living in Delusional land. Hey! It's March. I guess you guys should be getting your X-Mass wish list ready for Santa next year. Oh and make sure you are ready for the Easter Bunny too.

LOL man, you are taking it way too personal. It sure is entertaining to see you go up in flames.

people didn't go back to see Superman returns twice
unlike those Batman's!
as a matter of fact ,all Batman box office receipt would be like Batman and robin
if Bat fans would allowed themselves to see the movie only once.

that's why I'm afraid that a Batman TV series in this day and age or something even remotely to it like "birds of prey" would never be quite as successful as Smallville or even Lois and Clark!

even though I think if done properly it might prove me wrong
just like perhaps I'm going to be wrong about ghost rider box office because I didn't anticipate wild hog which is a bike movie as well.

anyways TV rating does not exactly work like box office.

people didn't go back to see Superman returns twice
unlike those Batman's!
as a matter of fact ,all Batman box office receipt would be like Batman and robin
if Bat fans would allowed themselves to see the movie only once.

that's why I'm afraid that a Batman TV series in this day and age or something even remotely to it like "birds of prey" would never be quite as successful as Smallville or even Lois and Clark!

even though I think if done properly it might prove me wrong
just like perhaps I'm going to be wrong about ghost rider box office because I didn't anticipate wild hog which is a bike movie as well.

anyways TV rating does not exactly work like box office.
Kararot saw it 13 times. I saw it 3 times in one weekend. What the hell are you talking about I know quite a few people on this very board who saw the movie multiple times in the theater.

Who the heck are you now. Grow a pair? I got a pair. You guys are the ones who believe in some stupid theory about SR failed at the box office because it was released on the 4th of July weekend. I mentioned it to a few of my friends in the industry and they laughed. "Oh yeah, releasing it on the 4th of July did it?" That is what the basis of this thread is about. I have already shown how many movies released on or within that weekend went on to become either the biggest money makers of the year, or within the top 10. The notion that Excel makes of it being released on the 4th weekend is stupid.

And again, I don't know you. Never spoke to you. All this antagonism from two guys towards a guy who you have never met or spoken to before in regards to a film. Well, again, have fun in make believe land believing that SR didn't do big box office because it was released on the biggest release date weekend of the year for studios. Whatever excuse you guys need to tell yourselves to delude yourself about SR's box office is fine with me.

I have a question for you two. Does it really ruin your day's that someone talks antagonistically about SR, and shines the light of reality on your stupid film. I mean, I was attacking Excel's theory, and you guys had to do personal attacks on me. Someone you don't even know. About a movie. I guess the SR Nazi's/Excuse Crew will live on forever. Well, again, have fun living in Delusional land. Hey! It's March. I guess you guys should be getting your X-Mass wish list ready for Santa next year. Oh and make sure you are ready for the Easter Bunny too.

Here is why I constantly tell people to stop arguing and start DISCUSSING.

All of these are from the above post.

Here you are buggs complaining about what they said to you......
"All this antagonism from two guys towards a guy who you have never met or spoken to before in regards to a film."
"I was attacking Excel's theory, and you guys had to do personal attacks on me. Someone you don't even know."
----------------------------------------------------

Here is your response........
"You guys are the ones who believe in some stupid theory"

"The notion that Excel makes of it being released on the 4th weekend is stupid."

"have fun in make believe land"

"Whatever excuse you guys need to tell yourselves to delude yourself"

"Does it really ruin your day's that someone talks antagonistically about SR, and shines the light of reality on your stupid film."

"I guess the SR Nazi's/Excuse Crew will live on forever."

"I guess you guys should be getting your X-Mass wish list ready for Santa next year. Oh and make sure you are ready for the Easter Bunny too."

AS I HAVE REPEATEDLY STATED ADNAUSEUM.......I DON'T GIVE A GOOD DAMN IF SOMEONE LIKES THE MOVIE OR HATES IT.....ALL OF YOU WILL STOP THE PERSONAL PETTY ATTACKS AND NAME CALLING....LEARN TO DISCUSS THINGS CIVILY.

AND I DO MEAN ALL OF YOU.....

So they can't mudwrestle their differences in their underwear?

Though I thought the claim that compared it to Batman was wrong. Because "Batman Begins" made 5 million more in the U.S./Canada (i.e. "domestic") market. And less overall worldwide ("Batman Begins" $205 million domestic and $372 million world wide; "Superman Returns" $200 million domestic $391 million world wide according to Box Office Mojo). So they made almost the same money but with "Superman Returns" just beating out the Batman film.

Angeloz

No he isn't. You love talking about 'SR' in a bad manner whenever the chace arises...in fact, you tend to talk about it on the....FF boards, the BB boards, and even the Spiderman boards as well. I've read'em. (Usually in the Box Office threads)

Tell me I'm lying...

No he isn't. You love talking about 'SR' in a bad manner whenever the chace arises...in fact, you tend to talk about it on the....FF boards, the BB boards, and even the Spiderman boards as well. I've read'em. (Usually in the Box Office threads)

Tell me I'm lying...

You're lying. ;)

Just kidding 'cos I have no idea but gave into temptation. :D

I hope you forgive me.

Angeloz

it failed due to bad marketing... a very weak plot, boring storyline with HARDLY any action (this makes a huge ****ing difference) and too subdued and dark color tones for Superman.

He tried to do Donner and didn't even do it well in that respect, at least Donner managed keep it somewhat on the lighter side and made Superman fun... there was no bloody fun in the film

Singer is almost eveything to blame for, from the outright lying, to claimin total control of marketing THEN BLAMING marketing for not promoting the film right (which is stupid and contradictory), leaving multi million dollar sequences on the editing floor and not knowing what he wanted, cutting out filmed subplots like Kal Penn's plot then leaving them on the floor, wasteful wasteful spending on visual effects that didn't even match up to what a Superman film should have, poor storyline overall and getting audiences confused and making them feel they've missed some earlier movie or some prior film, the list goes on... above all, the lame lame pathetic excuse that he didn't want too much damage and action in the "climax" of the film cuz he didn't want to frighten little children... yet he then puts a cruel and hard to watch beating of an iconic hero... again, the man is an inherent contradiction who didn't know what the **** he wanted to do

End of story, crap/disappointing box office numbers come from bad filmmaking, with a **** story, hardly any action, bad marketing and with some serious negative reviews (rated far poorer than batman, x-men 2 and all the spidey films)

get over it... it was a commercial failure on so many levels esp with the disappointing DVD sales as well. The film I don't think has made Legendary any profit (seems like they'll be making most of their profit on investments in 300 to make up for the crap they lost in Poisedon, Superman and Lady in the Water) and why else do you think there's so much hush hush crap going along at WB. they bloody hate the Box office numbers made and the fact that it STILL DIDNT CRACK 400 million globally... talk about pathetic.

Tell me I'm lying...
I don't visit the Spidey boards anymore because I'm trying to stay away from spoilers and most people on there are either trolls or idiots. I'll deal with them after the 3rd movie comes out. Yes I talk badly about it so what? it was hugely disappointing to me and I find it endlessly humorous that it failed to connect in a big way and I like talking about the boxoffice of films and that film's boxoffice was one of the biggest stories of the last 5 years. I always said that I thought thought there was going to be a Singer directed sequel so your master was wrong about that, I never started any threads saying otherwise. As a matter of fact I told the people who hated or were greatly underwelmed by the film (like myself) that I thought they were crazy to not accept the fact that, as of right now, Singer is set to direct the sequel. Now things change all the time but I would be shocked if I didn't see a sequel in 3 years directed by Singer with the WB's foot on his neck.

P.S I'm going to the 300 threads to talk about the fact that an R rated movie with no name actors and a very low wattage director has a good chance of outgrossing or grossing just as much as a PG13 rated movie staring an oscar winning actor and directed by a far more famous director that was about the worlds most famous hero... and no I'm not talking about Spider-Man or Jack Sparrow.:up:

I don't visit the Spidey boards anymore because I'm trying to stay away from spoilers and most people on there are either trolls or idiots. I'll deal with them after the 3rd movie comes out. Yes I talk badly about it so what? it was hugely disappointing to me and I find it endlessly humorous that it failed to connect in a big way and I like talking about the boxoffice of films and that film's boxoffice was one of the biggest stories of the last 5 years. I always said that I thought thought there was going to be a Singer directed sequel so your master was wrong about that, I never started any threads saying otherwise. As a matter of fact I told the people who hated or were greatly underwelmed by the film (like myself) that I thought they were crazy to not accept the fact that, as of right now, Singer is set to direct the sequel. Now things change all the time but I would be shocked if I didn't see a sequel in 3 years directed by Singer with the WB's foot on his neck.

P.S I'm going to the 300 threads to talk about the fact that an R rated movie with no name actors and a very low wattage director has a good chance of outgrossing or grossing just as much as a PG13 rated movie staring an oscar winning actor and directed by a far more famous director that was about the worlds most famous hero... and no I'm not talking about Spider-Man or Jack Sparrow.:up:

Thank you for pointing that out! Funny how none of the SR supporters are addressing this fact. They seem to just talk around it. Not to mention the fact that SR released as a SUMMER BLOCKBLUSTER and 300 was released in mid-march during the winter.

Isn't "300" number one and not facing major competition? Like a billion dollar movie?

Angeloz

Isn't "300" number one and not facing major competition? Like a billion dollar movie?

Angeloz

300 was the only movie released the week it came out. It had and hasn't had any real competition in the same similar genre(Fantasy/Sci-fi).

300 was the only movie released the week it came out. It had and hasn't had any real competition in the same similar genre(Fantasy/Sci-fi).

Thanks for the information. :) I'll admit I generally don't keep up with the film world. The only time I've cared about the box office is to a limited extent the Harry Potter films and "Superman Returns". Only because I want a sequel with most of them doing it especially Brandon and Bryan.

Angeloz

Thank you for pointing that out! Funny how none of the SR supporters are addressing this fact. They seem to just talk around it. Not to mention the fact that SR released as a SUMMER BLOCKBLUSTER and 300 was released in mid-march during the winter.
No prob, I love to use actual facts when I'm arguing. :up:

Angeloz
Oh please:whatever: I never argued that Pirates didn't hurt it but there is very little proof that SR would've grossed 300mil with out it. There is more than enough room for two hugely grossing films. CoughStarwarsandSpider-Mancough.

Oh please:whatever: I never argued that Pirates didn't hurt it but there is very little proof that SR would've grossed 300mil with out it. There is more than enough room for two hugely grossing films. CoughStarwarsandSpider-Mancough.

Did I mention "Superman Returns" would make 300 milion? Hint: the answer is no. I take it you mean the "domestic" market 'cos it made more than that worldwide. As I said I largely don't care. I was only pointing to "300" not facing a gigantic hit as direct competition.

Angeloz

Did I mention "Superman Returns" would make 300 milion? Hint: the answer is no. I take it you mean the "domestic" market 'cos it made more than that worldwide. As I said I largely don't care. I was only pointing to "300" not facing a gigantic hit as direct competition.

Angeloz
I can't talk to you about the boxoffice because you can't look at it objectively.

I SEE SPIDEY, for your sig, I guess you got so excited about Katie Holmes not returning for TDK that you forgot to put in the K in Knight. :cwink:

My question is never answered. Why do the defenders care so much?

I want to know why the haters care so much.

It's been nine months. Don't you have anything better to do than talk about a movie you don't like?

I can't image the time you waste on things you actually do like.

LOL man, you are taking it way too personal. It sure is entertaining to see you go up in flames.
No I am not. I just think it is stupid to blame it's bad performance on it being released on the second biggest day for a film to be released in the year. If there were other movies that were released on that date and they all did poor box office, I would say "O.K. You might have a point" if I saw it could be backed up with historical evidence. But the theory is a wash because all the data shows exactly the opposite. The historical data shows that there are countless big blockbuster summer films that were released on that date and they ended up being in the top ten biggest money makers of the year. I gave a list of many films, and I only went back to 1990. The theory is weak, and it is grasping at straws to run away from the real reason it did so poorly. I mean, the 300 has only been out for 4 weeks now and it is almost about to pass SR's domestic take and WW take. And it was not released in the summer, and had an R rating. Two used to be perceived strikes against a film. And we are talking the 4th of July weekend? I don't know anyone who thinks a studio is screwing themselves releasing a tentpole movie on that weekend? No one. It is a prime release date.

And this is now the third bogus excuse we have heard from the films defenders. My favorite was that Marketing screwed it up because Singer said so when he was in charge of marketing the film. He was the guy who told WB how they were going to market it. "It was marketed poorly and no one knew the film was coming out." Did these people walk into a store? You couldn't walk into a food chain store without seeing the Doritos and Pepsi end caps with the big standee saying "New superman movie Superman Returns" with the release date on it. Did these people go in or near a 7/11. 7/11 had a big poster above all their doors, and another one in the window advertising it. Did these people go into or near Burger King? They had the SR toys for a month. Did these people turn on the TV? For two months you couldn't go 15 minutes without seeing an SR add on most channels. You would have had to have been blind, deaf, and dumb not to know there was a new Superman movie released and in the theaters. To say SR was poorly marketed was a lame excuse as it was everywhere. These excuses are just an attempt for the defenders not to acknowledge the real reason. It just didn't connect with the audience. That is it. People who saw it gave it bad WOM, and their friends listened and stayed away from it. I just can't wait for the next excuse.

I can see releasing a christmass movie in summer, but even that has made money-Die Hard 1 and Gremlin's anyone.

And my first response to this thread wasn't junk like "I bet you have a tube connected from your ass to your mouth" or other rude or stupid comments that had nothning to do with the thread, or it's object, and just a rude comment. That was the first response from a guy who said the classic suit was not the classic suit, and I posted a link to a suit that had every change to the suit since the character's inception to prove that since 1942, except for the yellow S on the back, the suit changed little to nothing at all except for those goofy changes in the 90's that all failed. I have never created a post about taking a SR defender and tying them up to a chair and having Bryan Singer run over them. That was an actual response too. I don't go into threads and post junk just to get the thread closed because I don't agree with it. I even confronted one of you SR defenders in private messages who told me he did that specifically to get the thread closed. I don't play stupid games. I am defending my position and debating the object of the thread and the person who started it, not doing out and out attacks that have nothing to do with the thread at all. There is a difference.

I also wasn't taking a cheap shot at Excel like the guy whom i have never talked to here before telling me I need to "grow a pair". I was arguing against his theory with examples of movies released on that date that was either the top money maker or in the top 10 for that year. And not just one movie, but a bunch of them released on that date. So his theory is doesn't hold any water at all when looking at the data. And he is trying to present his "THEORY" as fact when it is just a theory that he came up with and nothing more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"