Suspiria (2018) Dakota Johnson & Tilda Swinton

I really, really, really liked it. Not sure if the storyline with the doctor was truly necessary other than some key parts he had with the main characters. They could've gone without dragging his story into this movie, IMO.

Yeah it was like Luca Guadagnino was trying to sneak in another movie...

One of the best Horror movies of the year and there aren't many good ones coming out from a while. A very good rework! I'm really curious how will they handle the rest of the "mothers". I truly hope that they can create a solid trilogy! The potential is there.

One of the best Horror movies of the year and there aren't many good ones coming out from a while. A very good rework! I'm really curious how will they handle the rest of the "mothers". I truly hope that they can create a solid trilogy! The potential is there.

What did you think of Inferno and Mother of Tears?

Inferno-Decent.

Mother of Tears-Eh, but still has some entertainment value.

Saw it Saturday. Loved it. Absolutely loved it :up:

Inferno-Decent.

Mother of Tears-Eh, but still has some entertainment value.
He wasn't asking you. So why don't you keep it shut, wiseguy?

Just kidding. :p I pretty much agree. Inferno was OK, could have been better. Mother of Tears had some good parts, but overall it was just one of those DVD Movies, if you know what I mean.

I really hope this new trilogy will be better overall! The first step was great.

This movie was bonkers. I'm shocked at how bonkers it got. But I liked it a lot. Suspiria shouldn't be remade, but the filmmaker found the one way to justify it being remade.

So are they actually going to do a full remake of the three mothers trilogy? Has that been confirmed anywhere?

I wasn't a fan. It was far too long, the subplots were boring and Dakota Johnson looked bored. Mia Goth was the star of this for me. Sarah actually got a character arc unlike Susie.

I have never seen the original nor it's sequels. This movie made me want to.

Fan of the original. HARD PASS until it hits Netflix.

Bought this on Amazon Prime, was so excited to watch it again after I saw it in theaters months ago. Honestly? I think this was better than the original. The original's main strength is its amazing color palette and cinematography and atmosphere, but the characters aren't very interesting. The acting (not helped by the dubbing) isn't so great either, though I liked the original Susie and the original Miss Tanner is wonderfully campy.

Plus there is actual dancing in this movie based in a dance academy. And the editing in the two major dance scenes (the infamous Olga sequence and the Volk ritual) is fantastic.Johnson gave a solid performance, but the stand outs were Swinton (duh), Goth and Fokina (who nobody talks about, but man she deserves mad props for that Olga scene).

I'm dying for two more movies the way Guadagnino apparently has planned. We met Suspiriorium, the other two mothers need to be explored in the context of this rebooted universe.

Aesthetically beautiful. With great music, costumes and production. But I finished it only because of Mia Goth. Overly long, all over the place, and I'm surprised how boring it was despite interesting setting. Maybe it's because they wanted to make it into some kind of series they stuffed it with a bunch of subplots that don't seem to be leading anywhere.

But part of me wants to give it another shot someday. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood for it. That being said, after reading reviews it doesn't look like I'm alone with my initial impression.

I just watched this on Prime.

I mean, I didn't hate it. I found it compelling and interesting enough that I went along with it even if I wasn't exactly engaged or enthralled by it. There are moments where the filmmaking really hits--and then those moments just get streeeetched out for another five minutes or whatever and you lose the effect. But the film still kind of dangles you along.

The design and cinematography were cool for the most part, the editing of certain sequences definitely has its own modern dance rhythm thing going, but towards the end it all goes very heavy-handed and schlocky and the weird frame rate shots in the red light were just ugly. I think Luca was going for hypnotic or something but it just feels rough. Yorke's score had its moments, particularly the main theme used with the Volk dance, but there were other times where the score was kind of egregiously distracting and not enhancing what we were seeing. Really think there should have been no Yorke singing until the credits.

It's definitely a movie that has more than a few groaner moments. I get why people call it "pretentious," but I don't know. lt's a pretty obvious movie in a lot of ways, it just makes a lot of wacky choices about how to tell its story and tries to stuff multiple other stories in at awkward angles. Like many modern films, its plot is needlessly complicated. Think back to how much time we spent with you-know-who stealing the you-know-what and giving it to one of Tilda Swinton's characters and then what happens with that. There is so much like that in the movie. If God is in the details he's wondering how to get out of them in this flick, because these details be a hot mess. Maybe that's the point, a literal hell of storytelling. Well okay then.

The final shot before the credits was a total WTF lol moment for me, not because it's some bonkers shot but because it's so sentimental and irrelevant to the vast majority of the movie that I simply had to laugh that Luca thought that THAT should be the final shot. Like he basically could not figure out what he wanted the last shot to be and picked some random idea out of a hat. The post-credits shot is almost as bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"