• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Dark Knight TDK Vs. Batman 89'

VenomVsSpidey

Superhero
Reaction score
I posted this same thread on The Batman (Classic Films) board and thought I would compare the responses.

Anywho...the categories are

1) Movie - Batman '89 vs The Dark Knight
2) Director - Tim Burton vs Christopher Nolan
3) Batman - Michael Keaton vs Christian Bale
4) Joker - Jack Nicholson vs Heath Ledger
5) Sound Track - Danny Elfman vs Hans Zimmer/James Newton Howard
6) Woman friend - Kim Basinger vs Maggie Gyllenhaal
7) Alfred - Michael Gough vs Michael Caine

I am not so sure if this is a good idea. Topics like these usually result in immature behavior and comments from both sides, and tend to degrade into a flame war.

I am not so sure if this is a good idea. Topics like these usually result in immature behavior and comments from both sides, and tend to degrade into a flame war.

true, hopefully we cant keep this thread..civilized...if not, then mods can close :word:

What's the poll supposed to prove? I can only click one option.

ETA: I would take TDK in every category. :yay:

I would have voted tdk in all the categories apart from the soundtrack.

Make there more voting options, and add Harvey Dent to the poll.

my original intent was to have each one as a choice....but dont know how to edit...help:huh:?

Last edited:
This is a masterpiece against a masterpiee. Not only I can't decide but I don't want to.

So many things I prefer from B89 over TDK.

So many things I prefer from TDK over B89.

1. The Dark Knight.
2. Christopher Nolan.
3. Best Batman : Michael Keaton. Best Bruce Wayne : Christian Bale.
4. Heath Ledger.
5. Soundtrack. It's a tie.
6. Maggie by a hair.
7. Sir Michael Caine.

(Best Batmobile : B89.)

1) Movie - The Dark Knight
2) Director - Christopher Nolan
3) Batman - Christian Bale
4) Joker - Heath Ledger
5) Sound Track - Hans Zimmer/James Newton Howard
6) Woman friend - Kim Basinger
7) Alfred - Michael Caine

You need to change the type of poll that it is, so that we can select multiple ones, otherwise the poll just doesn't make sense.

1) Movie - Batman '89
2) Director - Tim Burton
3) Batman - Michael Keaton
4) Joker - Heath Ledger
5) Sound Track - Danny Elfman
7) Alfred - Michael Gough

I know it looks like such a Burton fanboy, but he really got more right regarding the choices.

3) Batman - Micheal Keaton
4) Joker - Heath Ledger

1) Movie - Batman 89
3) Batman - Micheal Keaton
4) Joker - Heath Ledger
5) Sound Track - Danny Elfman

4) Joker - Heath Ledger

Damn! It´s impossible!!!

3) Batman - Michael Keaton
4) Joker - Jack Nicholson AND Heath Ledger (Why not?)

Sure, it looks like TDK FTW! But I actually enjoy Batman '89 a bit more because I grew up with it. But TDK is a better film.

I'm picking all TDK. It far surpassed any feelings I had for B89 back when it came out.

As far as the women go, Basinger always annoyed me with her hinting at being clueless.

This one's easy - The Dark Knight. To me, it is simply superior in just about every aspect - pacing, cinematography, story, acting, direction, scope, themes...you name it. I watched Burton's Batman last week after ages and it really did seem dated.

1) Movie - TDK(though Batman '89 is still great)
2) Director - This is hard as hell to pick. I'm guessing your asking which Director you like more based on their Batman films even though that's sort of similar to the first choice in a way. I've been a Burton fan since I was a kid and he's always been one of my favorite directors but I'll give this to Nolan since he made a better film overall and has been one of my recent favorite directors in the new millenium.
3) Batman - Bale (Keaton comes in a very close second though compared to the 'others')
4) Joker - Ledger (Just like the first pick though, Nicholson's Joker is still great)
5) Sound Track - Zimmer/Howard
6) Woman friend - I guess I'll give this one to Basinger
7) Alfred - Caine (Gough was no slouch though)

1.Movie-B89 (tdk is better overall in terms of story and scope but B89 is just a more enjoyable movie that has absolutley no pretensions as to what it is and excecutes it perfectly it is dated as hell but the greats always say great)

2.Director-Burton for executing as above for batman and for a far better overall director of vision, edward scissorhands,sleepy hollow alice in wonderland ect burton is director,producer artist and writer he reminds me of another great inventive mind Niel Gaiman rather then a more traditional screenwriter/director lie nolan which isnt a dig at him.

3.Batman-Micheal Keaton the template for all future actors but still the best though he didnt completely look the part and his wayne threw out the rulebook but was probably the most beleivable of them all (as burton said who could i pick who can act as he would be crazy enouth to don a suit?) his absentminded but highly intelligent wayne still stands as the best for me.

His batman was coldly brilliant considering the huge limitaions of the suit he created the definitive batman a harsh whisper of a voice and cold eyes that spat menace as well as crucially a brillaint mind under all this.

4.Joker-Nicholson, Jack brought a far more comic book creation to the screen his timeless facial emotes show huge range from anger to laughter and everything in between,hand buzzers and boxing glove thumpers as well as the timeless smelex gas gave us the true CLOWN prince of crime,Harlequin of hate ect.

5.Soundtrack-Elfman, one of CINEMAS most timeless and recognised soundtrack themes easily up there with the godfather/robocop/starwars/superman ect where the first few bars can make nearly anyone instanly recognised the movie it is from.

6.Women friend-A tie, rachal had a big impact in the nolan films but Basinger was waaaaaaaaaay hotter.

7.Alfred-Gouth by far the best a classic british gentlemans,gentleman wise and sometimes snide but always a friend and confidant with Wayne

"I liked parts of it, but the whole movie is mainly boring to me. It's OK, but it was more of a cultural phenomenon than a great movie." - Tim Burton on Batman '89

That says it all right there, IMO. I agree with him wholeheartedly, though if this were TDK vs. Batman Returns, it would be a tougher call, since I also agree with Burton that BR is a far superior film to B89.

3) Batman - Michael Keaton AND Christian Bale. It's a tie. They both played different versions of Batman, but both did an outstanding job of it.
4) Joker - Heath Ledger. Jack played a great 70's Joker, but Ledger really captured the psychotic "watch the world burn" Joker I grew up with.
5) Sound Track - Danny Elfman. TDK's soundtrack definitely had its moments, but Elfman's work is still far more iconic, IMO.
6) Woman friend - Maggie Gyllenhaal. Basinger never clicked with me, and never seemed to be intelligent enough to truly attract Bruce. Gyllenhaal's Rachel definitely had the brains for the romance to be believable to me, though.
7) Alfred - Michael Gough AND Michael Caine. Tie again. They were both great.

Last edited:
"I liked parts of it, but the whole movie is mainly boring to me. It's OK, but it was more of a cultural phenomenon than a great movie." - Tim Burton

It takes a lot of courage for a director to critique his own work like that, and I respect him for it if he really did say that. And you know what? He's right. The film does indeed seem to linger and dawdle whenever Batman or The Joker's not on screen. A lot of Bruce Wayne's scenes are just too dry and tedious for my taste. And I feel that Keaton's Bruce Wayne not having the striking presence of Bale or even Kilmer for that matter doesn't help things either.

]"I liked parts of it, but the whole movie is mainly boring to me. It's OK, but it was more of a cultural phenomenon than a great movie." - Tim Burton on Batman '89
[/B]
That says it all right there, IMO. I agree with him wholeheartedly, though if this were TDK vs. Batman Returns, it would be a tougher call, since I also agree with Burton that BR is a far superior film to B89.

3) Batman - Michael Keaton AND Christian Bale. It's a tie. They both played different versions of Batman, but both did an outstanding job of it.
4) Joker - Heath Ledger. Jack played a great 70's Joker, but Ledger really captured the psychotic "watch the world burn" Joker I grew up with.
5) Sound Track - Danny Elfman. TDK's soundtrack definitely had its moments, but Elfman's work is still far more iconic, IMO.
6) Woman friend - Maggie Gyllenhaal. Basinger never clicked with me, and never seemed to be intelligent enough to truly attract Bruce. Gyllenhaal's Rachel definitely had the brains for the romance to be believable to me, though.
7) Alfred - Michael Gough AND Michael Caine. Tie again. They were both great.
QFT. Burton is even greater for saying that.

"I liked parts of it, but the whole movie is mainly boring to me. It's OK, but it was more of a cultural phenomenon than a great movie." - Tim Burton on Batman '89

That says it all right there, IMO.

Says little about the movie itself though. The man who has been the most involved in a long hard creative process is not the best to appreciate his own creation.

Let's see what Nolan says:

“I think that when Tim Burton made his film in 1989, which was a brilliant film, visionary and extraordinarily idiosyncratic, it’s a very, very stylized movie and when you go down that road… I mean to get to four films is pretty impressive because you’re going to hit a dead end at a certain point.”

http://movies.about.com/od/batman/a/batmancn060805.htm

That says it all right there, IMO.

4) Bruce - Christian Bale
5) Joker - Heath Ledger
6) Sound Track - Hans Zimmer/James Newton Howard
7) Woman friend - Rachel (both of them)
8) Alfred - Michael Caine
9) Batmobile - Tumbler
10) Gordon - Gary Oldman

The only problem i have with Caine is that he is larger in size than Bale, larger than freaking Batman!
As for Rachel, despite what purists say, bruce needed a childhood friend. Rachel was more than a dumsel in distress. She helped shape bruce's character and she served as a childhood friend/love interest. Excellent in TDK as well. To hell with purists that think that Bruce should figure everything by himself, be forever alone, etc. He obviously retracted from the world after his parents death and Rachel only helped to a point. To hell with Batgod.

As for Basinger, she is obviously hot, but her role was that of a dumsel in distress. And alfred goes out and tell her bruce's secret. RAAAAAAGE!!!!

For greatest batman, how was Keaton's any good? If anything, Kilmer's was second after Bale's. Keaton only whispered and did poopy faces. Not to mention that he killed.
Bale's has the moves, the brains (beating the swats in TDK), the voice (damn right. That is how batman should sound. No matter how silly people think it is. He is a bat monster remember?), the interrogation scenes, the rage and intimidating factor, etc.

4) Joker - Heath Ledger
6) Woman friend - Maggie Gyllenhaal
8) Gordon - Gary Oldman
9) Harvey Dent - Aaron Eckhart

Some close calls, but TDK prevails in ALL categories.:hoboj::brucebat::2face:

B89 came along when I was 14 and obsessed with Batman, but interestingly enough, I think I actually got more absorbed into TDK between the viral mktg and the sheer mania that was the summer of 2008.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"