Status
Not open for further replies.

Speedball

Don't. Blink.
Reaction score
Spielberg and Jackson Team for Tintin!
Source: Variety
May 15, 2007

Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson are teaming to direct and produce three back-to-back features based on Georges Remi's beloved Belgian comic-strip hero Tintin for DreamWorks, reports Variety. The films will be produced in full digital 3-D using performance capture technology.

The two filmmakers will each direct at least one of the movies; the studio wouldn't say which director would helm the third. Kathleen Kennedy joins Spielberg and Jackson as a producer on the three films, which might be released through DreamWorks Animation.

Tintin has long been a passion project for Spielberg, who has been trying to get film rights to the comedic and adventurous book series for more than 25 years, a goal realized over the past year. With the rights in place, Spielberg, Jackson and DreamWorks began quietly developing the project.

Jackson's New Zealand-based WETA Digital, the f/x house behind "The Lord of the Rings" franchise, produced a 20-minute test reel bringing to life the characters created by Remi, who wrote under the pen name of Hergé.

"Hergé's characters have been reborn as living beings, expressing emotion and a soul which goes far beyond anything we've seen to date with computer animated characters," Spielberg said.

"We want Tintin's adventures to have the reality of a live-action film, and yet Peter and I felt that shooting them in a traditional live-action format would simply not honor the distinctive look of the characters and world that Hergé created," Spielberg continued.

Official word of the three-pic pact comes just weeks after Jackson inked a deal with DreamWorks to direct The Lovely Bones, based on Alice Sebold's haunting tome about a 14-year-old girl who watches over her family -- and attacker -- from heaven after she is raped and killed.

The Spielberg-Jackson project isn't likely to languish in development for long. Spielberg could become available this fall after wrapping Indiana Jones 4. Jackson will wrap "Bones" by the end of the year.

Spielberg and Jackson have selected three stories from Remi's "The Adventures of Tintin" series, which encompassed 23 books published between 1929 and 1976. The series still attracts 2 million new fans a year.

Series, which has sold more than 200 million copies worldwide, chronicles adventures of a junior reporter who will follows stories to the ends of the earth, even though he often finds his own life in jeopardy. His able assistants include a white dog named Snowy, the lunatic Captain Haddock, the muddled genius Professor Calculus and the Thompson Twins.

Jackson said WETA will stay true to Remi's original designs in bringing the cast of Tintin to life, but that the characters won't look cartoonish.

"Instead," Jackson said, "we're making them look photorealistic; the fibers of their clothing, the pores of their skin and each individual hair. They look exactly like real people --but real Hergé people!"

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=20387
OMG!!!
I remember watching the Tintin cartoons when I was a kid and loving them, I can't wait for this now.:woot::woot:

I have never seen Tin Tin... but this idea, the whole notion of what these two brilliant film makers are cooking up- god, I really can't wait. This is going to be AMAZING!

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=20387
OMG!!!
I remember watching the Tintin cartoons when I was a kid and loving them, I can't wait for this now.:woot::woot:

I loved the cartoons and read the books as well. All my Tintin memories are coming back to me now, just looking over at the Tintin page on wikipedia. Now the discussion of which three stories will be adapted will begin.

Rastapopoulos has to be in one of them.

I think Jackson will direct the first one and Speilberg will finally direct his Lincoln bio pic and then direct the sequel.

A Tintin video game is also supposed to come out for the 360, PS3, Wii, DS in the next year.

PJ and the Beard together ? this should be special:up:

Damn... this is so going to be awesome

Tintin movies by Spielberg AND PJ! Awesome.

Wow...with the two of them teaming up, they will be unstoppable!

Tin tin is pretty good as well. I can't wait to see what they do with this!

Like I said in the other thread, this could be either really good or really creepy the way Spielbergo describes it.

this is gonna be great. I loved tintin.

Wow. At first I was totally against this project. But it sounds alot better now.

As long as there is no love interest.

Like I said in the other thread, this could be either really good or really creepy the way Spielbergo describes it.

Sounds kind of like Scanner Darkly type effects, at least that's what comes to mind...

Oh, must have read it wrong last night... reading back over it- yeah, Polar Express.

awesome!! all they need to do now is hook up with James Cameron so they can make this puppy in stereoscopic 3d and viola! best trio evar!!!

John Hurt should do the voice of professor Calculus. That would be dead on.

I'm just wondering how you're going to make Tintin look photorealistic. That's what is going to scare the **** out of me when i see the finished product. I'm already getting antsy about Beowulf....things that remind me of figures in wax museums just scare me, man. :csad:

This was something i wrote on a matrix forum where we discussing this flick and a user pointed out that this may be the first time Spielberg won't use WETA for the VFX :

But since it's being made as an animated feature , i guess that might be one reason why Spielberg isn't working with ILM. To my knowledge ILM has never worked on animated movies . I thought they had also worked on Titan A.E but IMDB says they didn't.

Second reason is speculation but anyway :
Avatar as you may or may not know is being made with photorealistic CG characters ( at least that is what Cameron is claiming). WETA is chosen as the the VFX studio using the technology that Cameron developed.
Now consider these things
1 WETA has experience with performance-capture techonology a la GOllum and Silver Surfer and now Avatar
2 James Cameron mentioned that he showed Spielberg , Peter Jackson ( and i think Sam Raimi ) how the technology works and they all were raving about it
3 Tin Tin is a movie that will feature in the words of Peter Jackson "photorealistic CG people" and will use the performance capture technique to film them

Coincidence....

Wow, Spielberg is finally teaming up with a GOOD director instead of that fat hack with the turkey neck.

This should be good.

Calculus is the American name for Professeur Tournesol, right?

HAHAH , LOL
This is going to be great. Or..not :csad:
There are so many different tranlations of Tin and all of the characters have different names.
In Dutch Tin TIn is Kuifje , his dog Snowie is Boby , the captain is Kapitein Haddock.

I don't see the connection.

(Maybe because I don't think them speaking English?)
hb_058HurtJones.jpg
ProfessorCalculus.png

How about now?

I loved Tintin so much, so I am definately excited for this. Tintin is so good to me.

This was something i wrote on a matrix forum where we discussing this flick and a user pointed out that this may be the first time Spielberg won't use WETA for the VFX :

nice!!! i DO remember Cameron saying that both Spielberg and Jackson saw Cameron's 3d technology. that's facking awesome!!! i can't bloody wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"