The Batsuit

Jeez, you know sometimes you guys can be real asses when someone expresses their opinion. I said I liked that bit in BB, yes to me it worked, I wanted it explained in words. You guys go off and tear me a new one, lecturing me in all the ways that I was wrong to even consider the explanation a good thing...

More than liking explanations in BB what you originally said is that you needed explanations in B89. That led me to state how underlining informative explanations were totally needless in B89 regarding to the suit. No one thought it was "parachuted into the BatCave" because they didn0t verbally explained.

Explanations are not wrong per se, just when they're unnecessary.

i think what justifies the costume suit is the atmosphere of the movie. With the right direction and script, the costume suit, given whatever explanation the screenwriters feel like giving it, could work on screen.

The Year One costume was great, in my opinion. It was something Bruce just put together. I imagine it wasn't really form fitting, maybe a little saggy. But it was just cloth. It was cool seeing Bruce shot too, becuase as Superhobo said, it adds to the drama. That's one thing i never got about that argument. True, if Batman was wearing a "spandex" suit, he would get shot and killed, especially if he were wearing the suit in the opening scene of BATMAN. But the thing is, aside from adding drama to the universe the character exists in, why in the hell would the screenwriters shoot Batman 3 times in the chest and kill him in the first 2 minutes of the movie?

Anyway, as i was saying, a film like Year One could/would justify the use of a "spandex" suit. The atmosphere is realistic, gritty, dirty, etc... To see Batman running around in what essentially is a rubber costume in that world would just be silly. If they made the Year One of the comics into a movie, you explain the kind of material it is. If they made the Year One movie based on the script floating around online, then i would really want to see Paul Pope's Batman: Year 100 costume, becuase that's basically the costume i see Bruce wearing in that script. And with that, they could show, maybe in some sort of montage sequence, Bruce making it.

Not sure, I like the suit, but it might not work in movies. I'd like to see it, and I can see where you're coming from with the Y1 arc, but it's a difficult thing to pull off believably. The armour works...

Not sure, I like the suit, but it might not work in movies. I'd like to see it, and I can see where you're coming from with the Y1 arc, but it's a difficult thing to pull off believably. The armour works...

well, in the Year One movie script, i thought the costumed work excellently. It was believable in that version. And it was pretty sweet seeing Bruce remove a bullet and stitch himself up. Given the fact that in that script, he is relatively poor, the costume the way Paul Pope designed it in Year 100 would probably be perfect. It's just a costume thrown together. It isn't really armored except in the cowl.

Using the comic Year One storyline, you'd have to do some explaining. Now we're talking about a rich guy who can afford to make some sort of armored costume. Using the comic costume, atleast in the world of the Year One book, i think would work too. You'd just have to explain it a wee bit more. And if you can keep that atmosphere that the book has, it'll work. Becuase as i said, if Batman were running around in a rubber suit in the Year One world, both comic and screenplay, it wouldn't work. Just like the comic costume wouldn't work in Burton's or Nolan's world.

well, in the Year One movie script, i thought the costumed work excellently. It was believable in that version. And it was pretty sweet seeing Bruce remove a bullet and stitch himself up. Given the fact that in that script, he is relatively poor, the costume the way Paul Pope designed it in Year 100 would probably be perfect. It's just a costume thrown together. It isn't really armored except in the cowl.

Using the comic Year One storyline, you'd have to do some explaining. Now we're talking about a rich guy who can afford to make some sort of armored costume. Using the comic costume, atleast in the world of the Year One book, i think would work too. You'd just have to explain it a wee bit more. And if you can keep that atmosphere that the book has, it'll work. Becuase as i said, if Batman were running around in a rubber suit in the Year One world, both comic and screenplay, it wouldn't work. Just like the comic costume wouldn't work in Burton's or Nolan's world.

I've always liked the yellow oval's purpose (at least, when Frank Miller gave it one), that it is bright and obvious so the crooks will automatically shoot there, as that's where his only peice of armor is.

I've always liked the yellow oval's purpose (at least, when Frank Miller gave it one), that it is bright and obvious so the crooks will automatically shoot there, as that's where his only peice of armor is.

That explanation felt very forced to me. When you go back and try to explain something retroactively like that, it just seems phony.

The reason for the yellow oval is that Batman wanted to copyright it and earn the merchandise money. :ninja:

Or something like that :cwink:

The yellow symbol, works, and Miller's the only person to give it a sensible explanation, I liked it.

yea, i always liked it too. It gives Batman that symbol to wear. Superman's got the S shield, Green Lantern's got his lantern thing and Batman just has a generic bat? The oval is cool, in my opinion.

and the purpose behind it's rather simple, i always felt. It was just so obvious that you wonder why no one thought of it sooner. and if Batman got shot somewhere else, like in the leg in Year One, he would simply say "Ignore it" and proceed to beat the crap out of 8 SWAT cops. Badass indeed.

I guess no one wants to draw their own conclusions anymore, and they refuse to think anything unless the filmmaker spells it out for them, but yeah. I got that immediately, and the film didn't even have to tell me.

I like it when a film doesn't treat me like I'm stupid.

I guess that would be my only real criticism of Batman Begins, that Nolan is so concerned about spelling out everything, and justifying all that you see.

Oh man... Let's not start this again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"