• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

The BBC’s 100 Greatest 21st Century Films

Decent enough list, though some of those (e.g. Boyhood, Brooklyn, Spring Breakers, and Inception, much as I love them) are too high, IMO. It's good to see Yi Yi, The Assassin, and Syndromes and a Century get the praise they deserve, though it's unfortunate guys like Lee Chang-dong, Tsai Ming-liang and Jia Zhangke were left out.

I also think it's great about Ratatouille. Never understood why that heartrending film doesn't get more love.

Last edited:
Ratatouille is my favorite Pixar movie.

Decent enough list, though some of those (e.g. Boyhood, Brooklyn, Spring Breakers, and Inception, much as I love them) are too high, IMO. It's good to see Yi Yi, The Assassin, and Syndromes and a Century get the praise they deserve, though it's unfortunate guys like Lee Chang-dong and Jia Zhangke were left out.

I also think it's great about Ratatouille. Never understood why that heartrending film doesn't get more love.

The trash that was Spring Breakers doesn't deserve to be grouped with those. Inception is a hard call, but Boyhood most definitely deserves the recognition - critical and audience success not to mention the most experimental film of the 21st Century (shot over a period of 12 years) - that's a mighty technical and narrative and all around crew and cast feat to pull together.

I haven’t seen Spring Breakers. But after reading up on it, it appears to be one of those divisive/avant-garde films that subverts/deconstructs a mainstream genre - the purpose of which is to expose/explore various socio-political themes. IOW, it’s exactly the sort of movie that tends to get included on these artsy, “scholarly/film journal” type of Best Lists.

But if you insist on being outraged, have patience. We’re only 16 years into the new century and Spring Breakers only placed 74th. With any luck, it’ll get pushed out of the top 100 in no time. :word:

I haven’t seen Spring Breakers. But after reading up on it, it appears to be one of those divisive/avant-garde films that subverts/deconstructs a mainstream genre - the purpose of which is to expose/explore various socio-political themes. IOW, it’s exactly the sort of movie that tends to get included on these artsy, “scholarly/film journal” type of Best Lists.

But if you insist on being outraged, have patience. We’re only 16 years into the new century and Spring Breakers only placed 74th. With any luck, it’ll get pushed out of the top 100 in no time. :word:

It would be one thing if it wasn't a film critics gave 64% with a score of 6.2/10, the audience gave it 33%, IMDB puts it at 5/10. I hated 'Drive' loved the script though but that film is a hell of a lot more artistic than anything 'Spring Breakers' could dream about being, critics and audiences loved it as well so despite me not liking it there's a strong example of an artistic film that's quality thus deserves to be there infinitely more than a film that was basically "Disney girls go wild."

You state 74, yet many of the films 75-100 are a lot more artistic, weren't scoffed at by critics and audiences but were rather applauded and have long standing legacies. 'Requeim For A Dream' for example. An artistic film audiences and critics loved and has a legacy, is ranked after a film critics stated was mediocre and audiences hated since all it was was "Disney Girls Gone Wild."

That's what causes the list to lose all validity in my eyes. It stops being a list of quality films, best of 21st Century and becomes "these are the films people in our office liked." Since there is no logical way a true analytical "best of" would see a meh/mediocre critically received film that was trashed by audiences as being the best of anything. It's either pandering to younger gens to try to come off as hip, which throws the list into question OR it's entirely subjective with no objective thought brought into it, which throws the list into question.

You state "artistic" yet are forgetting there's actual artistic films that were critically applauded (that were a billion times more artistic), actual films with strong messages that were critically applauded, amazingly audience recieved, and have a legacy that aren't on dime store shelves already that "Disney Girls Gone Wild" is replacing the spot of.

Last edited:
I'm not sure but I think Kyle is upset Spring Breakers is on this list. Maybe a few more posts about it will clear the air ;)

I'm not sure but I think Kyle is upset Spring Breakers is on this list. Maybe a few more posts about it will clear the air ;)

I can say that anyone who respects the art of film is befuddled, sorry Brits' but this time I'm glad to be an American. One of the first cultural sore "ah man, way to go representing our people!" spots that can't be put on us Americans. American publications and film boards know better than the UK's BBC, lol. :up:

I can say that anyone who respects the art of film is befuddled, sorry Brits' but this time I'm glad to be an American. One of the first cultural sore "ah man, way to go representing our people!" spots that can't be put on us Americans. American publications and film boards know better than the UK's BBC, lol. :up:

This makes no sense considering it's not BBC who made the list but 177 critics from 36 countries.

You state 74, yet many of the films 75-100 are a lot more artistic, weren't scoffed at by critics and audiences but were rather applauded and have long standing legacies. 'Requeim For A Dream' for example. An artistic film audiences and critics loved and has a legacy, is ranked after a film critics stated was mediocre and audiences hated since all it was was "Disney Girls Gone Wild."

That's what causes the list to lose all validity in my eyes...

As mentioned, the BBC surveyed 177 movie critics worldwide. Now, these folks weren’t put in a conference room and ordered to come up with a 1-100 list that all parties would agree to. Rather, each submitted a 10 Best list. BBC then assigned 10 points to the first movie on each list, 9 points to second, 8 points to third, etc. As as it turned out, Mulholland Drive got the highest overall score and earned top place on the overall list. And - it would seem - enough critics included Spring Breakers on their respective lists so that it ended up (by automatic process) in 74th place.

Btw, Spring Breakers made it onto several “10 Best of 2013” lists. And it also generated some thoughtful analysis. E.g.:

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/the-life-lessons-of-spring-breakers

IOW - the sort of movie that cinephile types might credit as a Top 100 choice. :cwink:

Extremely surprising since critics pulled together gave it a 6.3/10 when it first came out which isn't exactly a ringing endorsement in any stretch of the imagination. But, life is stranger than fiction in that way.

Last edited:
Inherent Vice is really on that list? I didn't hate it, but didn't think it would be a film talked about years after it's release.

Delighted TDK made the list :up:

Not the worst list. I think it has more mainstream stuff than people are giving it credit for with The Dark Knight, Mad Max:Fury Road, Wall-E, Ratatouille, etc. The only big popular film I think they screwed over is LOTR and it seems odd The Departed was left off the list.

I'm actually very happy Spring Breakers was on this list. It's cinema at its finest, conveying mood and emotion through visuals and music. It's like a pop song. You don't care about the lyrics or the story behind the song. It's catchy and it makes you feel good. Spring Breakers achieves that in the filmmaking form. Rather brilliant. Mallick has been doing this for awhile, but never with such entertaining results. Spring Breakers is like Mallick on drugs and bad pop music.

Not the worst list. I think it has more mainstream stuff than people are giving it credit for with The Dark Knight, Mad Max:Fury Road, Wall-E, Ratatouille, etc. The only big popular film I think they screwed over is LOTR and it seems odd The Departed was left off the list.

I'm actually very happy Spring Breakers was on this list. It's cinema at its finest, conveying mood and emotion through visuals and music. It's like a pop song. You don't care about the lyrics or the story behind the song. It's catchy and it makes you feel good. Spring Breakers achieves that in the filmmaking form. Rather brilliant. Mallick has been doing this for awhile, but never with such entertaining results. Spring Breakers is like Mallick on drugs and bad pop music.

Malick does symphonies in visual form. Not pop songs.

The Tree of Life, The Thin Red Line, The New World are not meant to entertain, but to arouse feelings, thoughts, memories...

The only thoughts Spring Breakers inspire are the obvious realization of the vapidity of modern culture and the disbelief of the ridiculousness of James Franco's gangsta performance.

I enjoyed the film for the entertaining pop bubble that it was, but any comparison to Malick both in terms of depth, expression and visuals is unfortunate and coincidental at best.

Obviously new films are going to be coming g out for the next 84 years but given that the turn of the century coincides with rapid changes in film culture and filmmaking technology, even more than the arbitrary change in years it is a distinct era of cinema. With so much of the rhetoric being doom abd gloom about blockbusters squeezing out quality, I think it actually is important to slow down a minute and actually think through how great so many recent films have been.

My list is better. Blade II and John Wick are on it.

Last edited:
my list is the best because Spring Breakers is #1

You need some of Papa Reeks famous punch. Take the edge off.

Clearly you don't know Reek that well if you think he wouldn't have Spring Breakers as his number 1. His number 2 is Pineapple Express.

giphy.gif

Where do The Interview and This is the End fall on your list?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"