• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The big 1980's anime revival in Japan

The Lizard

Didn't eat Billy
Reaction score
I guess this is kind of predictable, since we've seen the same thing happen over here in the US, but I've noticed that a LOT of the 1980's anime that I used to watch as a kid (on bootleg untranslated VHS tapes that is) is now all over the place in Japanese toy stores and hobby shops.

Of course, the Gen-X age group in Japan growing up and having kids has a lot to do with this, but I was still amazed to see all the new toys and DVD releases based on some '80s anime series that I thought were forgotten.

Aside from the well-known '80s anime like Macross and Zeta Gundam, I've seen awesome new toys and collectibles based on:

Aura Battler Dunbine

Xabungle

Armored Trooper VOTOMS

Dougram

Vifam

Dragonar

SPT Layzner

Space Cruiser Yamato (AKA Star Blazers)

--and of course all the classic giant robots from the late '70s as well.

Nostalgia is a big seller anywhere I guess, but it is very cool to see new toys based on the '80s giant robot anime that are even better than the toys released back when they first came out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"