The Crow Reboot

It does seem pointless to make this though. Even though if it were made I'd like to see the skull-cowboy.

Besides come on does any one honestly think this will be made? Norringtons been attached to several projects this year. He'll most likely just run off again like he always does.

I don't want to stretch things too far but...

I feel like remaking this film is a disrespect to Brandon Lee.

The guy put his heart and soul into this movie, and unfortunately that horrible accident happened and took his life. The mad died filming this movie. Sadly the film that would have made him into a huge star was his last.

Thankfully Alex Proyas and Miramax decided to finish the film and honor Lee's work. What were were left with was an amazing and heart-breaking performance, especially considering the movie's theme and Lee's accident.

If you they want to make another Crow sequel, that's fine (but honestly, do we really need another one?). But leave this one alone!

To be honest, I think this is a complete disgrace. I echo your sentiment. I am fine absolutely fine with another sequel, but don't go near the original.

Am I the only one who thinks a documentary style Crow would be unintentionally hilarious?

I'm a huge Crow fan, so why am I not bothered by this?

One, it's not a "remake". No more than Begins or TDK are remakes of Batman 89. A remake implies redoing an original concept; this will likely go back to the source material.

Second, there's no where to go but up for this series. Have you seen Wicked Prayer? It's one of the most pitiful films of all time, and one of the only DVDs I ever sold.

Finally, as great as the original movie is, it strayed far from the book. I have no problem with a new film that sticks closer to the source. That means Skull Cowboy, roadside killing, no real estate plot, no Top Dollar as a big shot, etc.

The original version will always remain a gothic masterpiece. But I'd have no problem with a grittier, more brutal, maybe even B&W true adaptation of the book.

The only iffy thing for me is actually Norrington. I'd feel much comfortable with Arronofsky, or even Rodriguez.

I couldn't help but laugh at your pleas for originality, creativity, and aversion to remakes when I can see that Superman Returns is in your top 5. :funny:

Perhaps I just don't have a total love for the original movie that I don't mind this project. 15 (or less) years is still quite a long time. At least for a remake, it's going for a reinvention instead of a retread. That's always promising. I'll wait to see more info on this. But at the moment I'm indifferent.

Superman Returns is not a remake so laugh all you want.

To be honest, I think this is a complete disgrace. I echo your sentiment. I am fine absolutely fine with another sequel, but don't go near the original.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Superman Returns is not a remake so laugh all you want.
You and I both know one of the biggest complaints against that movie were it's close connections to Donner's original.

In any case, this project isn't a remake. I thought that would have been clear from the thread and article title. If anything, it's gonna be closer to a BB-type reboot.

honestly, I don't think a 'reinvention' is needed for The Crow, esp what happen with the sequels. It's so weird how Miramax took a crap on Brandon Lee like that..

Color me crazy but when I hear 'almost documentary style' about Crow It makes me wish someone did a film like Dragon:The Bruce Lee Story but about Brandon and his death on the set of The Crow.

honestly how far can you go with The Crow, at this point?

The original one is not that dated, besides a black dude with the neatest '90s flattop.

You and I both know one of the biggest complaints against that movie were it's close connections to Donner's original.

In any case, this project isn't a remake. I thought that would have been clear from the thread and article title. If anything, it's gonna be closer to a BB-type reboot.

It's connections still doesn't classify SR as a remake.

The Crow remake, reboot both are essentially the same. Why bother?

step away from the fact that this is even being re imagined, you're ****ting on the guy that did Blade, you know, the original with the ok sequels? plus i figured you guys, who were wanting Tom Rothman's head in another thread, would give Norrington a chance. besides, they been dumping on Lee's legacy for more than 3 films!

The office meets The Crow.

haha The Crow meets Curb your Enthusiasm

the crow lives with his pet crow and is known for being a popular anti hero in the city, he goes out and deals with the baddies but only using the power of the argument

nomoremfingreboots.jpg

in nooo way is the first movie dated.

if the movie is like blade i will watch it.

As a huge fan of The Crow I hope to see this project stay in development hell until they finally give up and sh**-can the whole idea.

I'm a huge Crow fan, so why am I not bothered by this?

One, it's not a "remake". No more than Begins or TDK are remakes of Batman 89. A remake implies redoing an original concept; this will likely go back to the source material.

Second, there's no where to go but up for this series. Have you seen Wicked Prayer? It's one of the most pitiful films of all time, and one of the only DVDs I ever sold.

Finally, as great as the original movie is, it strayed far from the book. I have no problem with a new film that sticks closer to the source. That means Skull Cowboy, roadside killing, no real estate plot, no Top Dollar as a big shot, etc.

The original version will always remain a gothic masterpiece. But I'd have no problem with a grittier, more brutal, maybe even B&W true adaptation of the book.

That's kind of how I feel. I'd love to see a Crow film with more elements from the graphic novel.

The only iffy thing for me is actually Norrington. I'd feel much comfortable with Arronofsky, or even Rodriguez.

I don't know, I'd say Norrington has the right sensibility as a director to get the character. I think if he's really given the freedom to do what he does best as a visual storyteller, he could do something great.

If he's gonna spend the time doing a Crow movie might as well do an original one and not another remake. Its easy just to redo the original all the source material is there show some balls and be creative with an idea of your own....

Id really rather see a sequel that is actually good. The franchise could have been huge if the sequels werent so poorly developed.

They are essentially slasher films where the slasher has personality and you root for them. The lead is different everytime and could have probably spring boarded plenty of rookie actors. A female or older Crow could have been cool too.

Norrington could make a good Crow but when I read what he has in store for it in comparison to Proyas' version I cant help but read, "Fanboys like Nolan so I'm going to do what he did."

Superark said:
I'm going to rant a little bit here...

I cannot even begin to describe how annoyed this makes me!
I'm not so much "annoyed", just kinda neutral about the whole thing. Having met and spoken to James O'Barr several times, I'd rather he was directly involved with any remakes or "reinventions" of the first film. Heck, they oughtta give him the chance to direct it. The story was born from his own personal pain, and as such, he'd be the one who could bring the franchise back to where it should be. As for Norrington, "LXG" is still a good (but not great) film IMO; I just don't think he can handle "The Crow".

The Crow is one of my all-time favorite films, easily in my top 10. For a long time it was my favorite film.
Agreed. I first saw it at age 15 (a year after it came out) on TV, and then a few years later I grabbed the 2-disc DVD (which I still have to this day). I remember being swept away by the depth of raw emotion in the piece, even in segments where I didn't approve of other aspects.

There is absolutely no need to remake this film. It's critically acclaimed and has a huge cult following as well. The original will always hold a special place in fan's hearts. Not only that but the movie is only 15 years old!
Agreed, for the most part. As noted above, the only way I could see a reinvention working is if James were brought in with full artistic involvement (and more than appropriate pay, given his past experiences with the studios). Otherwise, I fear this may wind up on the Top 100 List for worst remakes ever.

Not only that, but how can anyone match Brandon Lee? Everyone who has attempted to fill his shoes in the sequels have failed.
I disagree on this point. While "City of Angels" definitely sucked (and I avoided "Wicked Prayer" completely, due to the story), I actually enjoyed Eric Mabius' portrayal of a younger Crow in the third entry, "Salvation". Granted, the film would've done so much better without the blatant overkill on blood, gore, and sex (less is more, idiots), but I still feel that Alex worked really well as a character.

I feel like this film is a testament to Lee and his legacy.
Not only that, but it seems like history as recently repeated itself with Heath Ledger's death and "The Dark Knight". I couldn't help but notice the tragic similarities between the two.

Can't Hollywood find something creative & original to do and not keep remaking films?!
Unfortunately, the reverse seems to be a current trend.

I disagree on this point. While "City of Angels" definitely sucked (and I avoided "Wicked Prayer" completely, due to the story), I actually enjoyed Eric Mabius' portrayal of a younger Crow in the third entry, "Salvation". Granted, the film would've done so much better without the blatant overkill on blood, gore, and sex (less is more, idiots), but I still feel that Alex worked really well as a character.

No one is denying that there are good actors out that that can pull off a great 'Crow' story, the issue is remaking Eric Draven. I love Eric Mabius as the Crow too! (It's my second favorite Crow movie.)

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=51302

I'm pretty open minded but I see no merit in this at all.

I feel the same way.

As a huge fan of the original film and Brandon Lee in general, the only reason I'm not immediately pi$$ing all over this idea is because Norrington gave us the original Blade - a film which I just happen to hold in just as high regard as I do the Crow.

That buys him some leeway - at least for now.

Marx said:
I love Eric Mabius as the Crow too! (It's my second favorite Crow movie.)
Yep, and for a long time now I've wanted to do my own fan edit for YouTube (but that's another story...literally).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"