The Crow Reboot

Well said @The Shape.

To circle back to this film, one thought I’ve had is that his makeup is probably tattooed. I don’t know that it’ll have much relevance beyond that, but it makes sense for this iteration.

Also, I think Davis’ comments about him looking dirty and like a villain are extra lame. She sounds like my mother-in-law scolding her kids whenever they “ruin their bodies” with tattoos.

I’m not even totally sold on his look yet, but some of the critiques really are grating in that boomer type way.

Sarah told not one lie.

View attachment 82044

I'm sorry, I love her in the original, but this is a bad take. The entire vibe and look of the original film is "dirty, dingy, and grungy". Does she not remember? Not only is Eric's body covered in scars and eventually ripped, taped-up clothing, but he literally steals his signature black leather coat from one of the villains (Tin Tin) and wears it for the remainder of the film -- therefore dressing exactly like one of the villains he killed.

Also, I would personally find it MORE disrespectful to Brandon Lee if they had hired an actor who is a Brandon Lee clone, dressed him up exactly like Brandon Lee's Crow, and then tried to ape or copy everything about Brandon Lee's version (which is likely what Momoa's version would have been), compared to respecting Brandon's legacy enough to realize they can't and shouldn't try to copy it, and instead should try to go in a different direction that hopefully simply retains the essence of the source material and offers a new perspective of the core story at hand.

In the original comic and film, Eric Draven is not meant to be some kind of clean-cut boy scout superhero or symbol for good. He is a borderline psychotic "ghost" with a thirst for violent vengeance. He is portrayed as being nearly as colorful and unhinged as the villains he hunts down and kills, but he has a good soul and heart. He does have compassion for the innocent. His mission is deranged, but he is driven by grief and the power of his love for Shelly. In the comic, Eric's intense grief even causes him to engage in self-mutilation when not on the hunt. (Self-mutilation is his only vulnerability in the comic). The ways he dispatches the villains in the comic are even more grotesque and violent than in the film itself.

I just find it hard to understand what it is about tattoos that gets people so riled up. It's clear this version of Draven is not a former rocker from the 90s, but most likely some kind of recovering drug addict living in modern day -- someone who has not always lived life on the straight and narrow. To me, his Crow look in the newly released photo is not much of a departure at all from the source material. Look at the picture from the comic of the shirtless Eric Draven that was posted here recently. I see a shirtless Eric with a torso that is covered in scars, wearing Crow makeup and rocking an 80s/90s mullet. In the new picture, I see a shirtless Eric with a torso covered in tattoos, wearing Crow makeup and rocking a 2020s mullet. What am I missing? What is the big deal???

It's amazing how the internet can take something so small and turn it into a huge deal, creating a lasting negative narrative about something before anyone has seen anything more than 2 pictures. This movie might completely suck, or be amazing, or be mediocre. But how can anyone say it will suck because of tattoos??

I'm sorry, I love her in the original, but this is a bad take. The entire vibe and look of the original film is "dirty, dingy, and grungy". Does she not remember? Not only is Eric's body covered in scars and eventually ripped, taped-up clothing, but he literally steals his signature black leather coat from one of the villains (Tin Tin) and wears it for the remainder of the film -- therefore dressing exactly like one of the villains he killed.

Also, I would personally find it MORE disrespectful to Brandon Lee if they had hired an actor who is a Brandon Lee clone, dressed him up exactly like Brandon Lee's Crow, and then tried to ape or copy everything about Brandon Lee's version (which is likely what Momoa's version would have been), compared to respecting Brandon's legacy enough to realize they can't and shouldn't try to copy it, and instead should try to go in a different direction that hopefully simply retains the essence of the source material and offers a new perspective of the core story at hand.

In the original comic and film, Eric Draven is not meant to be some kind of clean-cut boy scout superhero or symbol for good. He is a borderline psychotic "ghost" with a thirst for violent vengeance. He is portrayed as being nearly as colorful and unhinged as the villains he hunts down and kills, but he has a good soul and heart. He does have compassion for the innocent. His mission is deranged, but he is driven by grief and the power of his love for Shelly. In the comic, Eric's intense grief even causes him to engage in self-mutilation when not on the hunt. (Self-mutilation is his only vulnerability in the comic). The ways he dispatches the villains in the comic are even more grotesque and violent than in the film itself.

I just find it hard to understand what it is about tattoos that gets people so riled up. It's clear this version of Draven is not a former rocker from the 90s, but most likely some kind of recovering drug addict living in modern day -- someone who has not always lived life on the straight and narrow. To me, his Crow look in the newly released photo is not much of a departure at all from the source material. Look at the picture from the comic of the shirtless Eric Draven that was posted here recently. I see a shirtless Eric with a torso that is covered in scars, wearing Crow makeup and rocking an 80s/90s mullet. In the new picture, I see a shirtless Eric with a torso covered in tattoos, wearing Crow makeup and rocking a 2020s mullet. What am I missing? What is the big deal???

It's amazing how the internet can take something so small and turn it into a huge deal, creating a lasting negative narrative about something before anyone has seen anything more than 2 pictures. This movie might completely suck, or be amazing, or be mediocre. But how can anyone say it will suck because of tattoos??

Let me preface this by saying you made some valid points and I have nothing against people who are tatted up, but at the same time I see her point too. Yes, Eric got the leather coat from Tin Tin, yes the OG movie is deeply entrenched in grunge and goth culture, but I personally did not like the delivery of the first look of this reboot.

This is a reinterpretation of the character, sure he could have tattoos, but why place them so egregiously on his body? Instead, you could've had him covered in scars from his self mutilation and/or from his fights. Granted, we don't know whats going to happen in the film yet, but that would've been more effective to me than a nipple tattoo.

And not necessarily casting a clone of Brandon Lee, but someone with that look or atleast like the Eric Draven character would've been cool. But Skarsgard has the acting chops, so we'll see what he does.

I'm just sitting here still thinking out loud in my best Christian Bale Batman Voice:

"WHERE'S THE TRAILER?!?!"

Sanders is going for a Gen Z counterculture thing. Same way the OG film went for a Gen X counterculture look.

You can dislike it, but it’s a valid angle to go for.
Which is what I've been saying since the image dropped. That one image has produced so much "old man yells at cloud" energy, its hilarious. My 39 year old self clearly isn't the target audience which is perfectly fine. People in their late 30s weren't the target audience for the original.

Finally! The Trailer coming tomorrow.

I've still got major concerns. But looking forward to seeing the trailer tomorrow to hopefully get a better idea of what's to come.

Whatever happens, it can’t possible be worse than Wicked Prayer.

Yeah lol its surely got to be better than that at the absolute least. Without a doubt the lowest point of the film franchise. Wicked Prayer made Salvation look like a Huge Blockbuster film in comparison.

Though I'm not personally a fan of the aesthetics we've seen thus far for this new Crow movie. I do hope it ends up being a good film. I can overlook some things if it's at least good. So, I am giving it a chance.

indecisive-i-dont-know.gif

Alrighty then! Well, I'm back on board!

Further proof you've got to be open and give things a chance. As someone that was getting worried and was turning away from this, that's a win for bringing me back on board. I know this will still not satisfy everyone. But they will never please everyone.

The Aesthetics looks much better in the trailer than the teaser image. Sure, its not my preferred look, but not as bad as I thought. Also, I like they are incorporating more of the comic elements with more mix of sword and gun action. It looks like they kept their word. A Remake that honors the legacy but is its own thing.

I'll likely be seeing this on the big screen! I hope it turns out good and wish them all well!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"