The Dark Knight Returns

Are you expecting his parody to be Year One quality? Parodies are not meant to win awards. Their use is to make fun of something. It doesn't have to be good--its purpose is to make a point.

No I'm not because his so called "parodies" are weak and lame. And just what is All-Star Batman and Robin trying to make fun of?

How has he changed it? Issue 5 was just as bad as the others.

Because it's now a parody upon itself instead of Miller attempting to be serious like he was in the first four issues. It feels more like he just went "F**k it, people think that this is All-Star The Goddamn Batman so I'll give them the goddamn Batman. Hell it's a year late so I can make some changes here and there."

Batman's "I love being the Goddamn Batman," acting more psychotic, and Wonder Woman's dialogue are the prime examples of this.

That was the tone the whole time. Some readers understood that.

And seeing that I'm a big-time Joker fan, how significant is his role in proceedings?

The Joker is awesome in The Dark Knight Returns. He's got enough face time that you won't feel short-changed if you bought the book just to see him, and while I don't want to spoil anything for you he kills a lot of people.

Really, It's one of my favorite depictions of the character. I can't recommend the book highly enough.

It's simply one of the best Joker stories out there, and there's been a lot. It's a different interpretation than what we see in mainstream continuity, but that's to be expected from Miller.

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I've never read The Dark Knight Returns. :csad:

I've came close to buying it on several occasions. But I don't know what it is - the Elseworlds-style story, the art, the small panels - but I've always been discouraged from buying it, or found something else to get instead.

Does it really live up to the hype? How highly recommended is "The Dark Knight Returns", really? And seeing that I'm a big-time Joker fan, how significant is his role in proceedings?

Sir, I respect you as a writer and a fan, but...

READ IT. Now. Or I will be forced to break you. :o

Forget about asking whether it's Elseworlds or not, just read it for it's good story, man.

As for Joker, like some others mentioned, it's a fantastic interpetation of him. The final confrontation between Bats and Joker is almost exactly as powerful and epic as anyone ever imagined. :up:

I don't think that the Dark Knight Returns is an Elseworlds anymore. It's most likely a part of the Multiverse now.

It's considered ''cool'' to hate Miller these days. I still ****ing love his work. Sin City, DKR, Year One, even All-Star Batman is awesome so far.

:wow:

That's utter bull****.

Agreed. Hush was one of the biggest ****ing let downs. Talk about a mess.

It never had the Elseworlds label on it to begin with.

Just because it didn't have the label doesn't mean it used to be part of it.

Oh well, not like it matters anyways, it's no longer an out of continuity story now.

I like TDKR, it's one of the best Batman stories ever written and it's impact was undeniable. I still enjoy it tremendously every time I read it and it is the only 'future of Batman' story/scenario I like behind Batman Beyond. A great answer to the question 'what would havehappened if the Bat hung up his cape and cowl after Jason's death' story.

Wouldn't mind seeing it applied to film someday, either. Maybe edit it a tad and have it be the closure to the current live action franchise a few years after most of the major points have been hit/they run out of ideas?

Wouldn't mind seeing it applied to film someday, either. Maybe edit it a tad and have it be the closure to the current live action franchise a few years after most of the major points have been hit/they run out of ideas?

Or in a DCAU DTV....but i'd rather see other stuff first.

In fact, I think I want TDKR to stay as a graphic novel, not be adapted. It's best in that medium anyway. Why feel the need to translate it to another medium? It has prestige where it is.

Oh well, not like it matters anyways, it's no longer an out of continuity story now.

Wh-wh-wh-what? WHAT?! :wow:

But seriously, I got a question: Why must we debate over and over just what kind of continuity it is? Can't we just accept it as a good story and not have to worry about it?

Wh-wh-wh-what? WHAT?! :wow:

But seriously, I got a question: Why must we debate over and over just what kind of continuity it is? Can't we just accept it as a good story and not have to worry about it?
I'd like to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"