The Dark Knight Rises The Dark Knight Rises Info Hunters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is there more talk of Black Mask? Because more people know him!

I know how it works. My point is, just because they don't know Blackfire, doesn't mean he's not a likely candidate.

Because he's more important to Batman history!

Opinion.

Because he's shown up in dozens of arcs instead of just one book!

I've seen nothing in any of those arcs that simply wouldn't be a repeat of prior villains. Just done more poorly.

One book? If its a great book, which is a far more cinematic experience with a character who has more depth than any of Black Mask's arcs, then I can see why ONE BOOK, could still be picked. It's not a popularity contest.

It's about who works better for a film. And Blackmask would be same old same old. You think Nolan is going to just repeat himself with a mob freak as the MAIN ADVERSARY?

I don't see it. I'd be willing to put a wager on that.

That doesn't make him a better choice, but it's going to make him the more popular topic of conversation. That's natural. You strike up a conversation about a local minor league ball club on a sports board, you're not going to get as much feedback as you would talking about the Yankees.

I understand that completely. But if I wish to bring up a character that I think makes more logical sense for a film, then I won't be told I can't discuss him, simply because everyone has elevated Black Mask as the next sure thing.

I'm sorry that no one cares about Deacon Blackfire. It's a good book. And I'd discuss the book at length with you if you'd like. But you can't force people to be interested in the character.

I'm not. I don't care if you like him or not. I'm saying this is who I think Nolan might go with as a choice. I never even said he was MY CHOICE.

You've got to know when to hold em and when to fold em. You may not feel like it's fair, or that it's an infringement on your right to an opinion, but you can't make people care or talk about something that they don't want to talk about. And when you repeatedly persist, it comes off as trolling.

Trolling is someone that is out to maliciously put a damper on things. Sorry, but If I want to talk about Blackfire, I will. And I am fine with others not agreeing with his inclusion or my assessment.

But i won't be told I can't talk about him, because he isn't the popular opinion. And I will continue to discuss why he is a far more likely candidate than say Black Mask, who's old hat.

Not being mean or trying to hurt feelings, but Black Mask doesn't bring anything new thematically to the table. So I find it hard to believe Nolan would even use him. Escalation was the theme in TDK. Its not the theme of RISES. Not sure what the theme is, but its not going to be the same.

Hugo Strange & PREY: What's The Deal?
Posted by Jett @ 7:00 AM on Saturday, November 20, 2010

Is THE DARK KNIGHT RISES inspired by BATMAN: PREY? What's the origin of these Dr. Hugo Strange rumors? >>>

Is RISES Based on PREY?
Author: Jett

Over at BOF, we’ve LONG hypothesized that the character Dr. Hugo Strange could be a major character in BATMAN 3 -- which we know now is officially titled THE DARK KNIGHT RISES. If you want to know how long we’ve discussed this, check out Mark Hughes’ story following this one. Anyway… SCRIPTFLAGS.COM is reporting that they received word from a “PR contact“ involved with THE DARK KNIGHT RISES that the film will be based on the Batman story PREY by Doug Moench (from LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT #11-15).
If you are not familiar with PREY, it’s set in the “Year One-ish” timeframe of The Batman’s career. In a nutshell, the mayor of Gotham creates a police task force to bring down the vigilante known as “The Batman.” Psychiatrist Dr. Hugo Strange -- who is obsessed with Batman -- will assist by finding Batman’s true identity. Members of this “Get The Batman!” task force include Jim Gordon, who is secretly sabotaging the operation, and Sgt. Max Cort, a loose-cannon of a cop who hates crime and Batman. Strange and Cort end up joining forces with Cort becoming the murderous vigilante known as “Night Scourge,” In short, these two do everything they can to completely bring down and ruin The Dark Knight.
Now tell me such a storyline wouldn’t make sense as the basis of RISES’ plot -- especially the way the THE DARK KNIGHT ended?
So, do I think that Hugo Strange is in RISES? Yes -- admittedly, because I want the character to be in the film. Let's assume that Hugo Strange is in RISES, OK? I don’t think that Tom Hardy is playing that character. I believe he’ll play a Sgt. Max Cort-type of character. Perhaps Hardy’s character will be an original creation loosely based on Max Cort/Night Scourge?
And for Hugo Strange, how about Robin Williams? I’m just saying…
If “Team Nolan” used PREY in cooking up the plot of THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, I expect it to be much like the way YEAR ONE and THE LONG HALLOWEEN influenced BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT. That would be as inspiration, not straight-up adaptations.
I'd also recommend that you take all of this with a big grain of salt. As I've said on BOF many, many times, very few people know the details of THE DARK KNIGHT RISES. If someone were to leak information -- such as the aforementioned "PR contact," they would be easily ID'ed. I don't think anyone is willing to risk their careers simply to slip some little 'ol website a Bat-Scoop.

"STRANGE" RUMOR IS STRANGE INDEED
Author: Mark Hughes

A story via an online Batman blogger claims that a “source” revealed to him that Tom Hardy is playing Hugo Strange in THE DARK KNIGHT RISES. This story has circulated the Internet the last few of days, being picked up by several sites and even resulting in a second wave of rumors. The truth of the matter is that there’s been talk of Hugo Strange possibly being in BATMAN 3 for quite some time now -- on BOF and many, MANY other websites and message boards across the Net.
Not long ago, I found an interview from April 2010 in which comic book writer Mark Millar referenced Steve Englehart as a writer he read as a child. I linked that to Millar's recent claim that he knows the identity of THE DARK KNIGHT RISES villain as someone from his favorite comics as a kid. Englehart, of course, wrote the STRANGE APPARITIONS story arc.
I passed this on to some other people, and they passed it along, etc., etc. It was just Bat-Fans passing along information and a theory -- nothing more -- and nobody intended it to be presented as anything other than speculation and a theory. It seems though, that someone saw this hypothesis and within hours, passed it along to various websites as an actual "exclusive" from a "source" with access to good information about the film.
BOF’s “Jett” has received many an email from alleged “inside sources” that have claimed Hugo Strange is the main villain in TDKR, but he dismissed these claims. Why? Not because he doesn’t think the character is in the film, but because Hugo Strange -- if you know the character -- makes a whole lot of sense as the film’s villain.
The story presents this rumor as coming from a source who supposedly has been reliable in the past. This reliability is a reference to this source supposedly reporting that The Riddler will not appearing in the film, and two certain actresses being candidates for roles -- both of which were in fact the subject of serious fan discussion and speculation on the same fan sites that featured the discussions about Hugo Strange. The “source” of these stories seems to be lurking on a couple of fansites and then compiling the more compelling theories from unsuspecting fans and pretending to have access to "exclusive" information.
Personally, I do think Hugo Strange is the best option for a villain in the next film, I have said so for more than a year now (along with plenty of other people), and I do think that the Millar information is interesting and potentially telling (which is why I sought it out and talked about it with other people).
However, it is only opinion and speculation, and was never meant to be presented as anything other than pure fan conjecture.
In case anyone is interested -- and perhaps wants to join our longtime conversation -- the "Is Hugo Strange in BATMAN 3" discussion can be found [on the BOF MESSAGE BOARD]. - Mark Hughes

:doh:

:dry:
If i could DCM, I'd give you a grant. Lol.

His talking about Blackfire isn't quite so bad; it's the fact that that's all he talks about.

Thats not true at all. I've talked about Catwoman, Talia, Hugo Strange (who I said is a very likely candidate based on being a psychologically driven character, who Nolan gravitates towards)

I was the first to mention on the boards after they announced about the Love interest would end up being the villain, and the female villain would end up the love interest. I mentioned it would be TALIA under and alias, and Catwoman.

Everyone else discusses Catwoman, Black Mask, Bane, Killer Croc, Deadshot, Hugo Strange, and yes, even lesser known villains like Blackfire. I can't remember the last time I read a post of Lungrocket's that wasn't focused on Blackfire. Everyone has their favorite villains, but this borders on obsession.

Oh please, Blackfire ISN'T who I would pick... He's just who I think makes sense in Nolan's works. Hardly obsession. Just trying to explain my arguements for him, that's all.

I know how it works. My point is, just because they don't know Blackfire, doesn't mean he's not a likely candidate.

Opinion.

I've seen nothing in any of those arcs that simply wouldn't be a repeat of prior villains. Just done more poorly.

One book? If its a great book, which is a far more cinematic experience with a character who has more depth than any of Black Mask's arcs, then I can see why ONE BOOK, could still be picked. It's not a popularity contest.

It's about who works better for a film. And Blackmask would be same old same old. You think Nolan is going to just repeat himself with a mob freak as the MAIN ADVERSARY?

I don't see it. I'd be willing to put a wager on that.

I understand that completely. But if I wish to bring up a character that I think makes more logical sense for a film, then I won't be told I can't discuss him, simply because everyone has elevated Black Mask as the next sure thing.

I'm not. I don't care if you like him or not. I'm saying this is who I think Nolan might go with as a choice. I never even said he was MY CHOICE.

Trolling is someone that is out to maliciously put a damper on things. Sorry, but If I want to talk about Blackfire, I will. And I am fine with others not agreeing with his inclusion or my assessment.

But i won't be told I can't talk about him, because he isn't the popular opinion. And I will continue to discuss why he is a far more likely candidate than say Black Mask, who's old hat.

Not being mean or trying to hurt feelings, but Black Mask doesn't bring anything new thematically to the table. So I find it hard to believe Nolan would even use him. Escalation was the theme in TDK. Its not the theme of RISES. Not sure what the theme is, but its not going to be the same.

No, it's not my opinion that Black Mask is more important to the Batman mythos than Blackfire. It's quantifiable. Nothing in The Cult carried on beyond the initial story. It didn't change continuity. Black Mask's actions have repeatedly altered continuity. He killed Stephanie Brown (later retconned, but still), the effects of which carried for a while across Bat-books. He tortured Selina's sister, the effects of which still carry across Bat-books. He was killed by Selina, and his legacy was adopted by a new Black Mask, Jeremiah Arkham, which was a huge new element to a long-standing character. Once again, I'm not saying these things are BETTER, it's just a fact that they exist.

I'm not saying you should stop talking about Deacon Blackfire. I'm not saying people should be insulting your opinion. All I'm saying is it's hard to have a conversation when only one person is talking. You can't get upset with people for not engaging your idea if the idea simply doesn't interest them. They're going to keep talking about Black Mask, or Strange, or whoever, if that's what they're interested in.

In summation - keep bringing up Blackfire if you want. Just don't expect a response.

I'm confused here, he calls out batman-news for the rumor, then a few days later says that his forum started the speculation and is more or less claiming it as his news now. So bascially every website can't publish any information on the new movie because according to him no one knows anything, and if they did personal that leaked the info would be fired, then he posts the rumour that he got about it being based on prey. So wouldnt that mean if it was true he just got someone fired, its a good thing he has the respect of the WB. Damned if you do, damned if you don't but at least I know why latino review called him out all those years ago.

I am considering making a formal complaint to WB, concerning the way in which Jett poses as an affiliate of theirs while alienating the entire fanbase.

I'm confused here, he calls out batman-news for the rumor, then a few days later says that his forum started the speculation and is more or less claiming it as his news now.
This. I've been mum on this hoopla between Batman-News/BOF as it's gotten really silly. But that post Jett wrote had to be the most blatant, simultaneous backtrack-base-covering-save-face defense I've ever seen from a 'reporter'.

The sheer audacity at even attempting something like that -- I don't know whether to applaud his balls or to kick it.

Viggo Mortensen would be a solid Hugo Strange also!

Matter of fact if Nolan and Emma can snag Hardy, Viggo, and Cotillard or Weisz to be in this Batman 3 film.....I will officially worship them forever! :word:

LOL

It seems Jett has taken his ******** over to the Hugo Strange wikipage.

You mean fans can't agree on anything ?. The internet has become a mouthpiece for fans to be like those political pundints on tv . with the over the top hyperboles amnd theories etc.... I'll be the first to admit I probably have been guilty of this too.

I just got this real funny image in my head of a Glen Beck style show featuring some nutjob fan boy coming up with all these crazy theories about film 3. :hehe:

How about these new additions to the cast for TDKR:

Dr. Hugo Strange- Viggo Mortensen or Robin Williams
Sgt Max Cort/Sgt Harvey Bullock/DeadShot/NightScourge- Tom Hardy
Selina Kyle/Catwoman- Rachel Weisz or Marion Cotillard
Det Sarah Essen- Naomi Watts

Adding these actors/actress' in B3 would simply ROCK!

I can see the Sgt Max Cort character from PREY possibly being re written as Sgt Harvey Bullock or something and then he would be the vigilante on the hunt for Batman as Deadshot and not Night Scourge like in PREY. :word:

Jett makes a good point about one thing. Robin Williams as Hugo Strange would be all sorts of win, and I would hardly be able to contain myself.

Jett makes a good point about one thing. Robin Williams as Hugo Strange would be all sorts of win, and I would hardly be able to contain myself.

Plus, Robin Williams has been wanting to get involved in a Batman movie ever since the 1989 film. He was originally promised The Riddler in Batman Forever, but Schumacher went with Jim Carrey instead.

Since Williams has worked with Nolan in Insomnia, and we all know Nolan likes to re-use actors he has previously worked with, Williams being cast in The Dark Knight Rises isn't entirely out of the realm of possibility, but then again, he would be almost too expected, and we all know how Nolan likes to go with the unexpected at least when it comes to casting.

I'd be thrilled to see Robin Williams in another dark role. It's something he's very good at.

I'd be thrilled to see Robin Williams in another dark role. It's something he's very good at.

And he desperately needs to go back to that, since his recent movie (mostly comedy) choices have been horrid.

Yeah, that's just a pathetic way to react to someone else breaking some potential news.

Wow.

Does it have to be Max Cort (Night Scourge)? Catwoman, okay! Hugo Strange, okay! Most people don't know Night Scourge. Let's see if the Nolan's will replace Night Scourge with Black Mask, The Riddler (even though Chris said Riddler is not in the film, it might be smoke screen), The Penguin, Deadshot, or some other villain. Max Cort may not even be in the film. We'll see, everything is just speculation at this point.

But, I like the story of Prey and it makes the most sense with the way TDK ended. The Nolan's can be innovative and throw some other person in there besides Max Cort.

Another good point by Jett's "article" is that Prey would be followed in TDKR like BY1 was followed in BB and TLH was followed in TDK. Not that any of us would think otherwise, so it's not like he's made an exactly fresh point.

he would be almost too expected, and we all know how Nolan likes to go with the unexpected at least when it comes to casting.
People give Nolan too much credit on this front. He casts whoever is best for the role, whether they were expected or not.

Christian Bale was the fan favorite, and he happened to be the best man for the job.

Lads I'm drunk, any major news over the past few pages?

This thread's gonna get closed again, lol.

I'm liking the idea of Williams playing Strange though.

I'm iffy on why people would think this would be based on the overall storyline of PREY. Hugo Strange trying to figure out who Batman is is part of the story. Hugo Strange profiling Batman is only part of PREY. The current creative team didn't adapt YEAR ONE, THE LONG HALLOWEE, DARK VICTORY, THE KILLING JOKE or much the 70's run on Batman, but they did take elements from them. I wouldn't expect to see the movie actually based on one story the third time around. I would expect to see a few elements from PREY, things like Strange as a Batman profiler, and trying to usurp the role, Catwoman's involvement, Batman being hunted, and then a completely new story, or at least a story with elements of the storyline where Strange imprisons Bruce Wayne from the 70's, etc.

Christian Bale was the fan favorite, and he happened to be the best man for the job.

This. As I recall, few fans even knew who Christian Bale was before he was first rumored for the role during pre-production of Aronofsky and Miller's YEAR ONE project.

I'm iffy on why people would think this would be based on PREY. Hugo Strange trying to figure out who Batman is is part of the story. Hugo Strange profiling Batman is only part of PREY. The current creative team didn't adapt YEAR ONE, THE LONG HALLOWEE, DARK VICTORY, THE KILLING JOKE or much the 70's run on Batman, but they did take elements from them. I wouldn't expect to see the movie actually based on one story the third time around. I would expect to see a few elements from PREY, and a completely new story.

Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back