The Dick Cheney Thread: 'Former Vice-Presidential' Edition

Well, wanting Bin Laden to do it, and working with him to do it are two different things.

And I was addressing a quote from Bush talking about what Saddam wanted.

If you are willing to spend billions of tax payer dollars on a war the majority of Americans no longer believe in, why should I care if the government spends money on social programs you don't believe in.

Because the average American doesn't understand foreign affairs enough to have a valid, informed opinion.

Question for those who still think the Iraq war is justified...is it acceptably to send our soldiers in this day and age to war on uncertainty?...the whole point is Bush and his administration was not 100% certain about WMD in Iraq. i think that in itself is BS for the fact that during the gulf war we did extreme amounts of damage, also some on this board are to young to remember but Clinton order another round of airstrikes in Iraq in the late 90's. In all there was ablosulty no justicfacation to invade Iraq.

Question for those who still think the Iraq war is justified...is it acceptably to send our soldiers in this day and age to war on uncertainty?...the whole point is Bush and his administration was not 100% certain about WMD in Iraq. i think that in itself is BS for the fact that during the gulf war we did extreme amounts of damage, also some on this board are to young to remember but Clinton order another round of airstrikes in Iraq in the late 90's.

Short answer? Yes.

In all there was ablosulty no justicfacation to invade Iraq.

You are simply incorrect.

And I was addressing a quote from Bush talking about what Saddam wanted.

Because the average American doesn't understand foreign affairs enough to have a valid, informed opinion.

Oh what and you do? :whatever: That seems....hmmm....what's the word, oh yes, elitist!

You are saying you know better then anyone else and therefore you can spend people's money against their own wishes, despite the fact the war has failed to meet the promises on which is was based on. How is that different from some government official who thinks he knows better then anyone else and spends people's money a pork barrel project?

People supported the war at first and turned against it because it failed to meet its promises, it wasn't the media's fault, it wasn't the war critics fault, it was the fault of the Bush government. Why should people support war or any program that doesn't meet its promises?

You believe in contradiction, when comes to almost anything you don't believe in the government, but when it comes to foreign affairs, you give the government a blank check. The fact is thje government has done tons of immoral and stupid things on the international stage (the Chile coup of 72, backing the failing Shah of Iran, helping to arm Saddam in 80s) Why should the government get a blank check in this area when they have proven themselves not up to the tasks many times.

Also why should the Pentagon get a blank check? Logically the military is the most dangerous part of government, how many dictatorships have survived without the support of the military? How many military dictatorships have justified their existence by means of national security?

Last edited:
Oh what and you do? :whatever: That seems....hmmm....what's the word, oh yes, elitist!

Fine, I am an elitist. I don't think the average joe has a firm understanding of Global Politics. I, while hardly an expert by any means (at this time), do. I have taken classes, I have read extensively about the subject. I have had discussion with members of the military, former CIA agents, former members of the state department and former ambassadors.

Sorry, but saying I am smarter than the average American doesn't make arrogant, it makes me truthful.

You are saying you know better then anyone else and therefore you can spend people's money against their own wishes, despite the fact the war has failed to meet the promises on which is was based on. How is that different from some government official who thinks he knows better then anyone else and spends people's money a pork barrel project?

Common sense.

People supported the war at first and turned against it because it failed to meet its promises, it wasn't the media's fault, it wasn't the war critics fault, it was the fault of the Bush government. Why should people support war or any program that doesn't meet its promises?

Because the actions of the past do not excuse recklessness in the present. Withdrawal from Iraq before withdrawal is responsible endangers the investment made in the country - an investment of both blood and treasure.

The public is fickle and often poorly informed. While I see great strides made in the latter, we have not reached a point where the average American is informed enough about foreign policy to have an educated opinion about it.

You believe in contradiction, when comes to almost anything you don't believe in the government, but when it comes to foreign affairs, you give the government a blank check.

I don't want simply a blank check. The opinion of the people do impact foreign policy by the people elected to office. Those people, when in a position to shape foreign policy (like the President) then surround himself with experts not elected by the people. Foreign policy should be shaped by those expects the democratically elected politician choses, not the wishes of the masses that elect him. I fully believe that and I think only a fool with think otherwise.

The fact is thje government has done tons of immoral and stupid things on the international stage (the Chile coup of 72, backing the failing Shah of Iran, helping to arm Saddam in 80s) Why should the government get a blank check in this area when they have proven themselves not up to the tasks many times.

Again, I don't agree with simply a "blank check" mentality. Leaders should be held responsible for their mistakes. That does not mean, however, that the American people are responsible enough to dictate American foreign policy.

Fine, I am an elitist. I don't think the average joe has a firm understanding of Global Politics. I, while hardly an expert by any means (at this time), do. I have taken classes, I have read extensively about the subject. I have had discussion with members of the military, former CIA agents, former members of the state department and former ambassadors.

Sorry, but saying I am smarter than the average American doesn't make arrogant, it makes me truthful. .

Well if the US governemnt is using public money to do immoral and foolsih things on the international stage, I do think that is a matter of public interest.

Common sense..

I think you are confusing your personal opinions with common sense.

Because the actions of the past do not excuse recklessness in the present. Withdrawal from Iraq before withdrawal is responsible endangers the investment made in the country - an investment of both blood and treasure. ..

That was one of the arguments against the war, that you would get stuck in Iraq because there was no exit plan.

The public is fickle and often poorly informed. While I see great strides made in the latter, we have not reached a point where the average American is informed enough about foreign policy to have an educated opinion about it...

And the Bush government, that suffered from group think and relied far more on assumptions rather then facts, was qualified? That was the same problem that happened in Vietnam War, LBJ and his cabinet became a cheer leading squad, that did nothing but bloster their own opinions on the war, which is the war policy never changed. If the government never learns from these mistakes, they don't seem qualified.

I don't want simply a blank check. The opinion of the people do impact foreign policy by the people elected to office. Those people, when in a position to shape foreign policy (like the President) then surround himself with experts not elected by the people. Foreign policy should be shaped by those expects the democratically elected politician choses, not the wishes of the masses that elect him. I fully believe that and I think only a fool with think otherwise. ...

Again the track record of immoral and foolish foreign policy decisions has proven that a broken model.

If you believe that war and foreign policy is the only legitmate function, then it should have more oversight to prevent abuse. There should be more oversight bodies and more public disclosure, so that the US governemnt doesn't spend public money supporting dictatorships.

Again, I don't agree with simply a "blank check" mentality. Leaders should be held responsible for their mistakes. That does not mean, however, that the American people are responsible enough to dictate American foreign policy.

How often has any one been held responsible for these mistakes? All you get is a sacrificial lamb here and there, like Ollie North. Most people get no punishment for these mistakes.

Considering all the immoral and down right foolish things the US government has done on the international stage, I don't see how the policy makers are responsible to handle this. You are familar with the term "blow back" right? Often these foolish mistakes cause more harm then good and almost no one is held accountible.

Anyone that still says we went into Iraq for oil clearly has no concept of reality

We went to war both times for oil.

I was in the first one and protecting that crude came above civillian safety in terms of priorities. This one I've not been in but my friends that are still there paint a very oily picture of the importance of keeping that crude flowing. Talking points be damned, we wouldn't even acknowledge anything in the middle east if not for what's beneath the surface (see africa for more on this).

Well if the US governemnt is using public money to do immoral and foolsih things on the international stage, I do think that is a matter of public interest.

The Iraq War is hardly immoral, nor foolish. Abuses in the war, such as Abu Gharib, is not an example of the US Government.

I think you are confusing your personal opinions with common sense.

No, not quite. The role of the federal government is meant to serve the country, as a whole, with state government's involved in states issues. Pork projects that fund inner state projects do not fulfill this requirement.

While the minority of Americans are lack the knowledge to make qualified decisions in international relations, domestic issues are different. The average American can identify with taxes, with the consequences of spending, etc.

That was one of the arguments against the war, that you would get stuck in Iraq because there was no exit plan.

While the war was entirely justified, it was not perfectly executed. Donald Rumsfeld's war plan was incredibly flawed. We completely dismissed the Powell Doctrine which I disagree with.

And the Bush government, that suffered from group think and relied far more on assumptions rather then facts, was qualified? That was the same problem that happened in Vietnam War, LBJ and his cabinet became a cheer leading squad, that did nothing but bloster their own opinions on the war, which is the war policy never changed. If the government never learns from these mistakes, they don't seem qualified.

Actually the problem with LBJ and the Vietnam War is that he rarely fulfilled the request of his military commanders. Neither did JFK. The military would ask for 200,000 troops, LBJ would send 100,000 - and so on.

Again the track record of immoral and foolish foreign policy decisions has proven that a broken model.

The track record of America, when evaluated fairly, is good - not perfect.

If you believe that war and foreign policy is the only legitmate function, then it should have more oversight to prevent abuse. There should be more oversight bodies and more public disclosure, so that the US governemnt doesn't spend public money supporting dictatorships.

When did I say that war and foreign policy is the only legitimate function of government?

How often has any one been held responsible for these mistakes? All you get is a sacrificial lamb here and there, like Ollie North. Most people get no punishment for these mistakes.

The soldiers at Abu Gharib were reprimanded. Donald Rumsfeld lost his position. Often, however, the consequences of foreign policy decisions are not seen until years after. For example, the consequences of Operation Ajax were not really seen until the late 70's - 20 years after.

Considering all the immoral and down right foolish things the US government has done on the international stage, I don't see how the policy makers are responsible to handle this. You are familar with the term "blow back" right? Often these foolish mistakes cause more harm then good and almost no one is held accountible.

Again, you have a skewed (biased?) view of US foreign policy.

We went to war both times for oil.

I was in the first one and protecting that crude came above civillian safety in terms of priorities. This one I've not been in but my friends that are still there paint a very oily picture of the importance of keeping that crude flowing. Talking points be damned, we wouldn't even acknowledge anything in the middle east if not for what's beneath the surface (see africa for more on this).

Oil wasn't the only reason for war in either case, but the oil supplies of Iraq did increase the value of the country, strategically, and rightfully so. International Politics is changing, the importance of military strength is giving way to the importance of self reliance and economics. When America relies on other countries to power the country, especially when many of those countries don't love us, our country is at risk. If rogue nations turn off the taps, our economic will be destroyed and the country in chaos - in danger.

Oil wasn't the only reason for war in either case, but the oil supplies of Iraq did increase the value of the country, strategically, and rightfully so. International Politics is changing, the importance of military strength is giving way to the importance of self reliance and economics. When America relies on other countries to power the country, especially when many of those countries don't love us, our country is at risk. If rogue nations turn off the taps, our economic will be destroyed and the country in chaos - in danger.

I agree with all of that, but when people dismiss the idea that the oil wasn't the predominate reason we go into the middle east and let africa rot, or goes even further to question the sanity of people that have actually been there and know first hand what's going on? It needed to be addressed.

I agree with all of that, but when people dismiss the idea that the oil wasn't the predominate reason we go into the middle east and let africa rot, or goes even further to question the sanity of people that have actually been there and know first hand what's going on? It needed to be addressed.

I agree.

The Iraq War is hardly immoral, nor foolish. Abuses in the war, such as Abu Gharib, is not an example of the US Government..

Rummsfeld's war plan wasn't foolish?

No, not quite. The role of the federal government is meant to serve the country, as a whole, with state government's involved in states issues. Pork projects that fund inner state projects do not fulfill this requirement.

While the minority of Americans are lack the knowledge to make qualified decisions in international relations, domestic issues are different. The average American can identify with taxes, with the consequences of spending, etc.

And yet foreign policy has way higher stakes then some botched public policy plan, why should foreign policy have less oversight?

While the war was entirely justified, it was not perfectly executed. Donald Rumsfeld's war plan was incredibly flawed. We completely dismissed the Powell Doctrine which I disagree with.

So in theory the war was good idea, just not in practice. If the practice of the war is mishandled, it taints the whole thing.

We also throw out just war doctorine, A very foolish move in my opinion. I only support wars that conform with just war doctorine.

Actually the problem with LBJ and the Vietnam War is that he rarely fulfilled the request of his military commanders. Neither did JFK. The military would ask for 200,000 troops, LBJ would send 100,000 - and so on.

So group think played no role in Veitnam or Iraq? I disagree with that.

The track record of America, when evaluated fairly, is good - not perfect.

Tell that to people in Chile.

When did I say that war and foreign policy is the only legitimate function of government?

Well as a libertarian don't you believe that the government's functions should be limited to defense, of which foreign policy is a massive factor?

The soldiers at Abu Gharib were reprimanded. Donald Rumsfeld lost his position. Often, however, the consequences of foreign policy decisions are not seen until years after. For example, the consequences of Operation Ajax were not really seen until the late 70's - 20 years after.

Rummsfeld only lost his job 3 years later, after a massive public outcry, that's a pathetic excuse for accountability. Bush wouldn't have fired him if not for the massive out cry.

Did anyone get punished for arming Saddam in the 80s? Did anyone get punished for organizing the military coup in Chile in 1972?

There is very much an area with little accountibility.

Again, you have a skewed (biased?) view of US foreign policy.

What and you don't? I'm just not whitewashing things.

Let me ask you this how are following foreign policy decisions not either immoral or foolish or both: supporting the Shah, organizing the military coup of 1972 in Chile, arming Saddam, the relationship between the US and Saudi Arabia, Iran Contra. That's just off the top of my head, with little research I can come up with tons more examples.

With such glaring errors that have made the world less safe, there should clearly be more oversight.

Those are just most base and glaring examples, there tons of examples of things just being mishandled at certain point that had an overall negative effect: the Bay of Pigs, supporting the Islamic fighters agaisnt the Soviets, Rummsfeld war plan, many policy decisions during the Vietnam war.

Now clearly the US isn't the only country that makes these kind of errors, but this just proves that every reasonable country should have some oversight regarding foreign affairs.

But are we interested in the freedom of nations that have no such resources? Why doesn't anyone talk about going into one of those screwed up African countries, filled with insane rebel groups that go around killing people?

Last edited:
The major justifications turned out to be inaccurate, but they were not the only justifications. It's also hard for me to blame Bush for faulty intelligence. It's quite obvious George W. Bush believed Iraq had WMD's - if he was simply grasping for straws trying to validate war in Iraq, he could have easily planted WMD's to "discover".

I think you are being too kind. Indeed there was a long list as to why Iraq was an unjust state and Saddam was a cruel evil leader. But none of them justified a war. A preemptive war raises the bar or burden of proof and the Bush Administration could not reach it under the guise of anticipatory attacks (humanitarian aide is important but that did not become the focus until 2005 and WMDs were long gone and in any case there are a plethora of states in need of humanitarian salvation from corrupt and unjust governments).

The main causes for war were WMDs and a supposed link to al-Qaeda. That is what Collin Powell announced to the UN and thusly the world. It is what all of Bush's speeches centered around when he and his cronies said "We cannot wait for evidence in the shape of a mushroom cloud."

It was wrong. That right there puts the entire war in a bad light and also explains why we went into it with the wrong mindset that led to such actions as torture (in Abu-Grhaib and Gitmo) and Bush telling terrorists, "Bring it on."

The intelligence was faulty, but it didn't help that in 2002-2003 that Cheney and Libby visited Langley over a half-dozen times to pressure and strong arm CIA analysts into providing "evidence" of a link between al-Qaeda and Iraq and thusly 9/11. It also is sullied as a point when you know that the CIA revealed the layer cake intelligence was bogus and Bush still used it in his State of the Union and his Vice President had his chief of staff commit TREASON and reveal a CIA operative's name as retribution for reporting such information.

I don't think the UN being incompetent justifies America not taking action. America's security is weakened if the international body does not fear UN resolutions, therefore America should have the right to enforce UN resolutions whether the UN wants them to or not.

No, no, no. What you describe is internationally illegal and is an example of an international body that does not fear or obey UN resolutions. If we do not believe them, we should not enter in them. We did, it was a UN treaty and does not justify a war. To use it is illegal and an example of the Bush administration grasping at any straws it could to justify a war.

I have forgotten Cheney's comments, can you point me in their direction?

Google Cheney and WMDs and Meet the Press or substitute WMDs with al-Qaeda or watch Hardball's rerun tonight as it had a great segment that pulled up those old clips and a Washington Post piece from 2003 that was quite good.

Damn, the last post was over a year ago......lol

According to the AP, former Vice-President Cheney has been released from the hospital.

According to the AP, former Vice-President Dick Cheney is again recovering from a major heart surgery. He was reportedly suffering from increasing congestive heart failure and ended up having surgery last week. He is said to be recuperating well.

MAN CHENEY SHOT STILL HAS NOT RECEIVED AN APOLOGY
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10/14/harry-whittington-dick-cheney_n_762418.html

For some reason, this doesn't surprise me.

Doesn't seem as though Harry cares, it seems that Huffington post does, therefore if Harry is fine with it, I am as well.....was it a slow news day for Arianna?

It's always funny to me that so many ***** about Cheney not going away, he needs to go away, he needs to retire and move on.....blah, blah, blah.... he hasn't said much of anything since his last hospital stay? And then we get articles like this?

Lmao, the news just can't let the guy be....

It seems like, if you shot somebody in the face, the least you could do is appolgize for it. Unless, of course, it wasn't an accident. Cheney is an evil man.

I saw a picture of him in the paper this morning with Bush at the future presidential center. I didnt even recognize him until I read the caption. :wow:

He doesn't look well. Something tells me that old Dick isn't long for this world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"