• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Fashion of Wakanda needs to be fixed!

Of course. But having the King of Wakanda dress in a suit isn't totally crazy. I think this is a little bit of nitpicking. I like how the Wakandans were represented and I think we will see more cultural attire in the BP film.

Well judging by the trailer they definitely got the fashion right! Such beautiful colours!

I thought this thread would be jumping now that we've actually seen the way the costuming and styling of the film is going to be.

Wakanda is a country not a city, so there are going to be many different styles of clothing depending on the peoples personal tastes.

So the original poster was a tad premature. Basically they dressed as the locals when out of Wakanda. This ties back into them trying to hide themselves.

I really liked what I saw.

Last edited:
tumblr_orc28k110h1uvbiylo1_1280.png

tumblr_orc28k110h1uvbiylo2_1280.jpg
tumblr_orc28k110h1uvbiylo3_400.jpg

tumblr_orc28k110h1uvbiylo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_orc28k110h1uvbiylo5_1280.png

tumblr_orc28k110h1uvbiylo7_1280.jpg

tumblr_orc28k110h1uvbiylo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_orc28k110h1uvbiylo8_1280.png

They've certainly delivered on the costume front.

The costumes look fantastic. So very happy to see the gorgeous colors.

Yeah, the woman they got for the fashion is spot on the best choice they've made

Someone said this means black people will finally get some cool cosplay options now which is cool

Yes. This was an important feature to get right for this film. Really hope Wakanda can come alive.

Academy award for costume design for sure but seeing as how it opens in February, it won't make it for the next Oscar cycle.

'Black Panther' Costume Designer Talks Inspiration, Activism, and Black Lives Matter

Kendra James: Your costumes for Roots looked meticulously researched, especially in contrast to the generic loincloths and patchwork leathers from the '70s version. Is that informing your designs for Black Panther, where you're creating an aesthetic for the fictional African nation of Wakanda?

Ruth Carter:
I'm looking at the whole continent and a wide range of people, like the Masai and the Suri. It all becomes a part of the framework of Wakanda. Most people who read the comic books know Wakanda is a mountainous area; it's a secret place that's not necessarily trading and interacting with the rest of the world. They're a little bit more advanced in technology than other civilizations. We are creating that world, and trying to create a culture and pride that feels authentic to the specific location.

KJ: Pop culture often forgets that Africa is a large, diverse continent, and it's often homogenized in Hollywood. Do you feel an extra weight of responsibility because of that?

RC:
Oh, yeah. I do. I felt it with Roots, and I feel it now with Black Panther. That authenticity is very important to me. With Wakanda, I'm sort of piecing together a puzzle. It's the puzzle that is our history. Black history didn't start with slavery or end with the civil-rights movement. I'm trying to put together that puzzle while considering everything that relates to us, including present stuff like the Black Lives Matter campaign.
We're speaking to an international black culture that knows film, that's smart, that travels, that knows what's happening in the world. I want to respect that. I start designing by saying "Don't make it up." After the research, then I can make it up.

I don't think enough positive could be said about the costumes. Honestly, I think the costumes were put front and center in the teaser, it was very much about the style of the movie, the music, the dynamics, the tension and very much the visuals. If you stop frame you can start to piece together a story, but the costumes are what are taking us to this other world. It's absolutely incredible.

I come from a haitian background so I have no cultural ties to any african nation but I am ok with wakanda going either suits or cultural at the UN so I agree it's a bit nitpicky even though I think it is an interesting conversation

I come from a haitian background so I have no cultural ties to any african nation but I am ok with wakanda going either suits or cultural at the UN so I agree it's a bit nitpicky even though I think it is an interesting conversation
Yeah, you think it's a bit nitpicky BECAUSE you have no cultural ties to any african nation. Care to ask an African his opinion?...

...and people wonder why is important to have a black person in the writing room when hollywood decide to tell a "black story"...:hmm

Wow. That's pretty dismissive of somebody and their opinion for no reason.

Yeah, you think it's a bit nitpicky BECAUSE you have no cultural ties to any african nation. Care to ask an African his opinion?...

...and people wonder why is important to have a black person in the writing room when hollywood decide to tell a "black story"...:hmm

It's important because if a White director gave technologically advanced Africans spears and lip plates then there'd probably be a media **** storm.

Ridiculous.

They wear more suits then anything else for those gatherings. Cultural clothing is in the minority for them.

Id like to see Black Panther try to mix both but that just as a cool factor. Not as a representation of real life.

621000-ki-moon-addis.jpg

aunews.html

I'm sure there will be a mixture of traditional and modern, African and "western". It should be very colorful and impressive. Hopefully it will win some awards.

Ridiculous.

They wear more suits then anything else for those gatherings. Cultural clothing is in the minority for them...
You ever ask yourself why they do so?... If so, you think the same reasoning apply to Wakadan too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"