The Federal Government Recommends No Sex Until Age 30 For Singles

sinewave

Avenger
Reaction score
I can't believe these idiots are serious.

USAToday.com said:
Abstinence message goes beyond teens
Updated 10/31/2006 8:32 AM ET
By Sharon Jayson, USA TODAY
The federal government's "no sex without marriage" message isn't just for kids anymore.

Now the government is targeting unmarried adults up to age 29 as part of its abstinence-only programs, which include millions of dollars in federal money that will be available to the states under revised federal grant guidelines for 2007.

The government says the change is a clarification. But critics say it's a clear signal of a more directed policy targeting the sexual behavior of adults.

"They've stepped over the line of common sense," said James Wagoner, president of Advocates for Youth, a Washington, D.C.-based non-profit that supports sex education. "To be preaching abstinence when 90% of people are having sex is in essence to lose touch with reality. It's an ideological campaign. It has nothing to do with public health."

Abstinence education programs, which have focused on preteens and teens, teach that abstaining from sex is the only effective or acceptable method to prevent pregnancy or disease. They give no instruction on birth control or safe sex.

The National Center for Health Statistics says well over 90% of adults ages 20-29 have had sexual intercourse.

But Wade Horn, assistant secretary for children and families at the Department of Health and Human Services, said the revision is aimed at 19- to 29-year-olds because more unmarried women in that age group are having children.

Government data released last month show that 998,262 births in 2004 were to unmarried women 19-29, the ages with the most births to unmarried women.

"The message is 'It's better to wait until you're married to bear or father children,' " Horn said. "The only 100% effective way of getting there is abstinence."

The revised guidelines specify that states seeking grants are "to identify groups ... most likely to bear children out-of-wedlock, targeting adolescents and/or adults within the 12- through 29-year-old age range." Previous guidelines didn't mention targeting of an age group.

"We wanted to remind states they could use these funds not only to target adolescents," Horn said. "It's a reminder."

Last year, 46 states applied for the federal abstinence-education money, to fund programs in schools, neighborhood clubs and faith-based organizations.

Sarah Brown, director of the National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy, says abstinence programs are among many messages that have helped reduce teen pregnancy rates. But "the notion that the federal government is supporting millions of dollars worth of messages to people who are grown adults about how to conduct their sex life is a very divisive policy," she says.

"We would oppose any program that stigmatizes unmarried people," adds Nicky Grist, executive director of the Alternatives to Marriage Project, a non-profit organization based in Brooklyn, N.Y., that advocates for the rights of unmarried people.

For last year's state grants, Congress appropriated $50 million. A similar amount is expected for 2007, but the money has not yet been allocated, according to the Administration for Children and Families.

"I think the program should talk about the problem with out-of- wedlock childbearing — not about your sex life," Brown says. "If you use contraception effectively and consistently, you will not be in the pool of out-of-wedlock births."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-10-30-abstinence-message_x.htm?csp=34

:whatever: Bush still doesn't get it! There's a seperation of church and state!

They seem wholly and entirely unaware that there is a growing percentage of people who make a conscious decision to have a child or children out of wedlock with the intention of raising them as a single parent. Tack that on to the reasons these people are out of touch. Trying to policize and legislate morality is getting more and more laughable, it would seem.

jag

Attention all women ages 18-29.

Secret party at my house!!!

jaguarr said:
They seem wholly and entirely unaware that there is a growing percentage of people who make a conscious decision to have a child or children out of wedlock with the intention of raising them as a single parent. Tack that on to the reasons these people are out of touch. Trying to policize and legislate morality is getting more and more laughable, it would seem.

jag

Agreed.

If sex is outlawed until age 30, then every single club and bar owner in the country would have to file bankruptcy.

Catman said:
Give them time to get rid of that little nuisance, with the way they've stacked the deck in the Supreme Court.

Mr Sparkle said:
:confused: wow, and this will fix what?

People's morals, dude. They're broken and the populace needs to be shown how to live their lives and what to believe, even if they have to be convicted for that to happen!

jag

crazy.... i'm glad i don't live in the US

i don't even understand whats the sense of it... is has ABSOLUTLEY none...

this is what happens when you let christian extremists run the government. and people are whining about nancy pelosi injecting "san fransisco values" into american politics, whatever the hell that is. :rolleyes:

sinewave said:
this is what happens when you let christian extremists run the government. and people are whining about nancy pelosi injecting "san fransisco values" into american politics, whatever the hell that is. :rolleyes:

does it involve having sex on brightly colored bridges?

Mr Sparkle said:

I highly recommend doing that if you haven't, btw. :up:

jag

So far, a condom hasn't broken when I've used one.

And since the government isn't my parent, why should I care what they say?

jaguarr said:
I highly recommend doing that if you haven't, btw. :up:

jag

sex outdoors has eluded me so far, but soon...very soon

:sexninja:

Mr Sparkle said:

yes, having sex with aborted fetuses on brightly colored bridges.

That's only if the fetuses are fresh, otherwise you're a neo-con.

jag

I know I was really intent on consulting the federal government before I lost my virginity. :up:

at age 38. :( ;)

I'm going to start mailing my used condoms to the Department of Health and Human Services

Addendum said:
I'm going to start mailing my used condoms to the Department of Health and Human Services

They'll send the FBI after you, marking you as a terrorist who uses the federal postal system to deliver your biological weaponry.

jag

Catman said:

There's supposed to be but I don't think there's any concrete law prohibiting it. The constitution says that we won't make an official religion but in my opinion this has been broken many times, "God" being in the national anthem, the swearing in of the president on the bible, etc. Anyway, this expansion of thier ridiculous "abstinance only" program is a waste of money at best. It's also very condescending to be telling adults what they should and shouldn't do.

KingOfDreams said:
There's supposed to be but I don't think there's any concrete law prohibiting it. The conctitution says that we won't make an official religion but in my opinion this has been broken many times, "God" being in the national anthem, the swearing in of the president on the bible, etc. Anyway, this expansion of thier ridiculous "abstinance only" program is a waste of money at best. It's also very condescending to be telling adults what they should and shouldn't do.

it's also extremely insulting to have my tax dollars pay for this b.s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"