The Hulk Mantra - my attempt to save us from Hulking out

T

The Loafer

Fans of the Hulk character, please read and repeat after me: I will stay calm, I will stay calm… The following is an attempt to reel in those who have been blowing a gasket worrying about the upcoming release of the Incredible Hulk.

- A box office take of 60 million is a failure:
60 mil is a lot of money, especially considering the amount of theatres it’s playing in (Iron Man opened in 4105 theatres, TIH – 3505). Thus if we use very basic math, one could surmise that with comparative attendance, The Incredible Hulk would open to 85 million to achieve the same level of success and Iron Man was at the TOP of that success scale, so 60 mil is a lot of bones.

- Ah HA! 60 million is a lot less than 85 million, so it’s STILL a failure then:
Well, not really. I seem to recall reading a while back there is a difference between “theatres” a movie is playing in, and “screens”. I can tell you that locally where I live, the Hulk is not only playing in less theatres, but those theatres it’s playing in, it seems to be in about 33% less screens too, which of course can affect the box office take considerably. – PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I’M WRONG HERE.

- So I can assume the fact it’s opening in less theatres AND less screens, that right there is proof that the movie is already a failure then?
Noooo, not really. When IM opened, there weren’t a lot of big movies released prior to its launch; it was the front runner of the summer season. This is one of the reasons why May openings are so sought after by the studios; less competition on the big weekends and the movie fan is already in a frenzy as he/she has been waiting for a while for their favorite blockbuster to arrive. Additionally, movie studios also have allegiances to more than that one movie, and theatre chains have allegiances to other studios. If a chain drops the Indy 4 or Sex and the City screens to add for TIH, the studio won’t be too happy about that. Also, later openings can make mucho bucks of course (see Transformers and it opened to 70 million) but you really need the theatres and screens available to knock that first weekend out of the park. There’s also a lot more to it too, opening weekends on average reflect maybe 40% of a film’s total box office take (probably wrong here, guessing) but again, repeat viewings and word of mouth can go a long way. See Batman Begins and Transformers for examples of success stories through consistent box office receipts over the long haul.

- OK, fine, so what about some of the bad reviews?
That’s fine, relax and breathe deeply; in, then let it out, repeating as necessary. Most action based movies don’t score over 70% and this one appears to be over that. Only the paying customer really should give a poop what they think of this movie, let critics do their job (ugh) and stop being a negative nanny and hyperventilate with every 3 bad reviews you read, while dismissing the other 7 good ones you just passed over.

- What about the crappy CGI?
It’s a matter of opinion, don’t expect perfection and just enjoy the show but at least have the nads to SEE the movie first before judging it a failure.

- What about the butchering of the Director/Actor cut?
Hopefully they’ll release it as some point. For now, and according to most critics, there appears to be good entertainment to be had if you’ll just take it for what it is as opposed to the dream movie you want. Nothing wrong with expecting and hoping for a masterpiece but reel it in a bit, maybe the quest for perfection is affecting your judgment a tad.

- What about Ed Norton’s lack of support?
Ed Norton is a consistent person. Please find me any evidence that he’s promoting TIH less than his other movies. Should he promote it more? Sure, I’ll buy that argument, but it’s not because he’s unhappy that he didn’t get final cut approval. In fact, I’ve seen him promoting TIH more than any of his other movies combined. Yes, I know I’m exaggerating.

- What about Ang Lee’s Hulk?
What about Ang Lee’s Hulk??? This is TIH, stop comparing it damn it. Well, if you must compare it, do so from a position of knowledge and not guess work. IE: see the 2008 version first before you bash or yes, praise it.

- Oh yeah? Well what do you know!
You’re right, I don’t know anything, I’m just a dude who doesn’t want to see any of you die-hard fans jump off buildings (or jump to conclusions) with every little bit of (mis)information that’s out there. Call me a concerned citizen and personally, I find this therapeutic for my own expectations of this movie.

Please feel free to post other worthwhile information that can help calm down us loyal hulk fans. We don’t want our pulse rate to go too high, and you don’t want to see us angry. You know, you wouldn’t like us when we’re angry.

:woot:

Nice post.

Then you do the Hulkey Pokey and you turn yourself around...

Wow you have way way too much time on your hands!

^ I'm seeing it tomorrow with my best friend.
Funny thing is, my mom wants to see it so badly, but my dad could care less.
You'd think it'd be the other way around though, right?

I know more girls like me who want to see it than guys here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"