• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Hype! Advice Thread

Knightsaber Priss

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
I'm starting this thread because I need some suggestions and/or support right now. The girl upstairs is going to be moving her bedroom around which will be causing a lot of noise today. Now at the beginning of the week I work 11 P.M. to 7 A.M. which means I have to sleep during the day. Now with her making all that noise this is not going to be an easy thing to do because the sound carries horribly from the upstairs apartments to the down stairs ones. What really concerns me is that I already worked an 8 hour shift last night running on only a few hours sleep, so I just cannot do this again tonight or I am going to collapse from all the exhaustion. When I go sign my lease I am going to ask management if there is any way the upstairs apartments can be better soundproofed because it will literally kill me to have to drag myself into work with only a few hours of sleep. If worse comes to worse and management does nothing I might have to talk with my boss and explain to him my problem, that it's a matter of my health at stake. I'm also contemplating asking them to move in a much quieter person, but seriously, what would you guys do? I'm at my wit's end and I'm trying to stay calm, but it's hard when I'm sleep deprived.

ear plugs?

Believe it or not but I've actually tried that before. The issue is that the sound carries with a resonating vibration because the upstairs floors are made strictly from plywood with no insulation or soundproofed foam cushioning. You know Morg, I wish just for 8 hours a day I could have your deafness. You can have my sense of hearing for that time.

Believe it or not but I've actually tried that before. The issue is that the sound carries with a resonating vibration because the upstairs floors are made strictly from plywood with no insulation or soundproofed foam cushioning. You know Morg, I wish just for 8 hours a day I could have your deafness. You can have my sense of hearing for that time.

They must be doing something big to have that much vibration to be feel downstairs, you ask them to tune it down since you are a night worker?

Oh if they make that noise/vibration even I would feel it too

That is a sweet display.

Have you tried explaining the situation to her? I've had a couple of pretty loud neighbors and most of the time they don't realize that they're being that loud. Once they know when you need to sleep and how rough it is they can try and keep it down.

EDIT: Also explain things to your boss, but don't ask for any special consideration it's not his fault that she keeps you up at night. ;)

I'm starting this thread because I need some suggestions and/or support right now. The girl upstairs is going to be moving her bedroom around which will be causing a lot of noise today. Now at the beginning of the week I work 11 P.M. to 7 A.M. which means I have to sleep during the day. Now with her making all that noise this is not going to be an easy thing to do because the sound carries horribly from the upstairs apartments to the down stairs ones. What really concerns me is that I already worked an 8 hour shift last night running on only a few hours sleep, so I just cannot do this again tonight or I am going to collapse from all the exhaustion. When I go sign my lease I am going to ask management if there is any way the upstairs apartments can be better soundproofed because it will literally kill me to have to drag myself into work with only a few hours of sleep. If worse comes to worse and management does nothing I might have to talk with my boss and explain to him my problem, that it's a matter of my health at stake. I'm also contemplating asking them to move in a much quieter person, but seriously, what would you guys do? I'm at my wit's end and I'm trying to stay calm, but it's hard when I'm sleep deprived.

You are pretty much s' out of luck.

1. They aren't going to spend the money to "soundproof" anything.

2. While you work the late shift, most people are sleeping. And obviously when you are sleeping, the majority of people are at work. However, there's a reason why people get deliveries, meter readings, during daylight.

3. How long is she going to be moving furniture around? You make it sound like it's going to be an ongoing thing? What 1 to 2 days? :huh: Get some ear plugs and suck it up for a couple of days.

You could always go up and help her...

The job will get done faster, and the extra exertion will help you sleep better.

3. How long is she going to be moving furniture around? You make it sound like it's going to be an ongoing thing? What 1 to 2 days? :huh: Get some ear plugs and suck it up for a couple of days.

Exactly. I've worked the night shift going on four years. I live in noisy apartments and my upstairs neighbors are elephants who have loud sex right above my bedroom constantly. Earplugs are the only help you're going to get.

Aside from that, if you're tired enough you'll sleep through anything. Working the overnight shift comes with a lot of sleep deprivation for one reason or another, and you can work through it. It's not pleasant, but your body will keep going as long as you tell it to.

Try working retail nights over Christmas week while going to five family Christmasses in the daytime running on 3 hours of sleep per day. Then get back to me.

I'm going to move above Runt and have Polka music parties from 8 to 5 each day.

Good luck, but I really don't see either your landlord or your boss being very sympathetic. If it's really that bad, you might consider moving to an upstairs apartment.

If you can sleep with the music on then it might be better to have that playing and hope it drowns out most of the background noise.

If it is only for a couple of days, then I would just put up with it and try to get by. If it is going to be an ongoing problem I would request to be transferred to a different apartment or building(if they have other buildings).

i woke up at 12:31 am this morning and have been up since except for the 3 hours of sleep i was able to squeeze in between 9am and noon. yet i still managed to work the entirety of my shift tonight.
you won't die from exhauston, i assure that you can make it through your shift even though you may feel kinda crappy.

if you knew in advance that she'd be moving her stuff around and it might affect the amount of sleep you might get, i gotta ask; why didn't you grab a nap or something in advance or stock up on some sleep just in case the moving does keep you up.

there are times when i'm on the closing shift where i don't get home until 9 or 930, only to come in the next day at 4am. yeah it sucks, and sometimes i just stay up the whole night, but i've never collapsed or anything.

you'll be ok :up:
and who knows, maybe you won't even hear them at all

You could always go up and help her...

The job will get done faster, and the extra exertion will help you sleep better.

I would if we got along well, which we don't. If anything I just like to keep to myself where I live because the people that live here are not the types I can readily identify with.

If you can sleep with the music on then it might be better to have that playing and hope it drowns out most of the background noise.

If it is only for a couple of days, then I would just put up with it and try to get by. If it is going to be an ongoing problem I would request to be transferred to a different apartment or building(if they have other buildings).

I was playing some ambient nature sounds from a little machine I have that has those and the girl was pounding around upstairs even more. This is the same girl who gets huffy because she can hear me typing on my computer. She even complained to management thinking I was nailing things to the wall. :huh:

I bought some more earplugs but I doubt it'll drown out all the noise from upstairs. If only they had put a nice, quiet person upstairs with no kids I wouldn't mind a few footfalls here and there. Without sleep I am a very, very cranky person. Yesterday all I was able to get at the most was 5 hours of sleep then have to be awake for 8 or so hours straight to work. I found myself drooping my head several times because I was so tired. I just hope this year the girl doesn't have another one of those noisy New Years parties like last year. I swear when she gets her degenerate friends upstairs and well sloshed on alcohol it's like elephants doing the Riverdance.

i woke up at 12:31 am this morning and have been up since except for the 3 hours of sleep i was able to squeeze in between 9am and noon. yet i still managed to work the entirety of my shift tonight.
you won't die from exhauston, i assure that you can make it through your shift even though you may feel kinda crappy.

if you knew in advance that she'd be moving her stuff around and it might affect the amount of sleep you might get, i gotta ask; why didn't you grab a nap or something in advance or stock up on some sleep just in case the moving does keep you up.

there are times when i'm on the closing shift where i don't get home until 9 or 930, only to come in the next day at 4am. yeah it sucks, and sometimes i just stay up the whole night, but i've never collapsed or anything.

you'll be ok :up:
and who knows, maybe you won't even hear them at all

The difference between you and I may be age, but also you have to remember my being kept awake by the Riverdancing Elephants has prevented me from getting sleep for several days in a row when I have to go into work. Maybe once every so often sleep deprivation is fine, but not at a constant rate. It's especially taxing mentally because the body can't rest and release toxins or something.

As far as napping, I've never been a good napper because once I'm awake after sleeping for a few hours I can't get back to sleep. I'm more rested when I sleep a straight 8 hours.

P.S. Since I'm income based and need a 1 bedroom, which is at a premium here, moving to another unit is not a possibility unless the girl is the one moving in conjunction with housing a more quiet tenant above me.

Last edited:
The difference between you and I may be age, but also you have to remember my being kept awake by the Riverdancing Elephants has prevented me from getting sleep for several days in a row when I have to go into work. Maybe once every so often sleep deprivation is fine, but not at a constant rate. It's especially taxing mentally because the body can't rest and release toxins or something.

she's literally prevented you from sleeping for several days in a row?

I would if we got along well, which we don't. If anything I just like to keep to myself where I live because the people that live here are not the types I can readily identify with.

How is it you know about her furniture-moving plans, then? :huh:

I can sleep whatever noisy activity is going around me, my room or my house--Guess I'm lucky :O

she's literally prevented you from sleeping for several days in a row?

Well not totally. I was able to squeeze in at least 3-4 hours sleep in between the noise from upstairs. But still that's not enough sleep to allow me to be up all night.

How is it you know about her furniture-moving plans, then? :huh:

She left me a note on my door while I was away at work.

I can sleep whatever noisy activity is going around me, my room or my house--Guess I'm lucky :O

Yes you are. :csad:

Well not totally. I was able to squeeze in at least 3-4 hours sleep in between the noise from upstairs. But still that's not enough sleep to allow me to be up all night.

:wow: I wish I got that much sleep every single night on a regular basis.

Maybe they can move you to an upstairs apartment?

CHANGE JOBS. If you can't sleep with noise you picked the wrong schedule and the wrong apt. If it is that big of a deal you should work the day shift and sleep when normal people do. Plus if she left you a note on your door telling you her moving plans, she is a nicer person than you lead on.

In my experience, there are a couple things you can do:

1) The nice method: I once had a similar problem...I used to live in a basement apartment, and the upstairs neighbor used to drag furniture around (4 feet over my sleeping head) to do her vacuuming every Saturday at 7:00 am. So, feeling diplomatic, I bought her some furniture sliders - sets of 4 rubber disks with cloth on one side - and told her they would make it easier to slide all that heavy furniture without making so much noise. She got the hint and changed her weekly cleaning schedule.

2. The not so nice method: Back in college there was this guy who insisted on playing "Desperado" by the Eagles loudly late every night. Payback was achieved by putting stereo speakers to the wall and blaring "Stigmata" by Ministry as loudly as possible when we knew he was trying to sleep. This method would probably work great when dealing with someone with children...except it's an "after the fact" type of thing, and may actually make your situation worse...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"