The Industry on Mario and Shigeru Miyamoto facts and interview

sauce7gg.jpg

Oh no doubt, it's faaaaantastic :O

:o :down

I may not be a huge fan of mario, but the guy seems really classy and humble :up:

Mentok said:
ROFL... :o

rayman2_a.jpg

And this is good character design then?

Yes. What child doesn't dream of someday stepping into the shoes of...an overweight plumber with a gay cop mustache! For God's sake, we should at least expect our gaming avatars to have more exciting jobs than we do in real life. Yep, Mario is sure a great character, and so is Luigi, who is totally distinguishable from Mario because he wears different colored clothes.

Master Blaster said:
Yes. What child doesn't dream of someday stepping into the shoes of...an overweight plumber with a gay cop mustache! For God's sake, we should at least expect our gaming avatars to have more exciting jobs than we do in real life. Yep, Mario is sure a great character, and so is Luigi, who is totally distinguishable from Mario because he wears different colored clothes.

Everything you just said could be true and it still wouldn't make it excusable for the creator of fricking Rayman to be critisizing the design of Mario.

Uechi_blu said:
HAHAHA @ ADD; Rayman is a pretty decent series, but what is a Rayman anyway?

Blu
I have no idea, but the ADD reference was directed at the design of the character. It just looks like the creator moved to something halfway through design

Yes, it was sarcasm.

I like the Mario series. It's games are fun, but damned if it isn't a tad overrated! It needs a little deconstructing every now an then. And the character design does suck. I know that the game was never about character design in the first place anyway. It was all about the gameplay. Character design was just an after thought for Miyamoto-san. I'm just saying he could have put a little more effort into it.

And Rayman is simply Rayman. He's the hero of Glade of Dreams (His world.)

Spidey-Bat said:
How do the character designs suck?

Because Mario's design was created out of necessity. Even though he was the hero, his creation was just an after thought. Miyamoto-san was more concerned with the game itself, rather than the characters. He only created him because the player needed a character to control. He didn't bother to give him any mythology or personality which makes him hard to relate to.

His distinctive look is due to technology restrictions in the mid-'80s; with a limited number of pixels and colors, the programmers could not animate Mario's movement without making his arms "disappear" if his shirt was a solid color; they did not have the space to give him a mouth or ears; and they could not animate hair, so Mario got overalls, a mustache, sideburns, and a cap to bypass these problems. Mario's creator Shigeru Miyamoto has also stated when interviewed that Mario wears a cap because he finds it difficult to draw hair.

Developers have always created their games around limitations, that doesn't make the design of an old video game character automatically of less value. Mario has worked extremely well. It's not like they world that was created was devoid of imagination. It was very much the product of imagination and it worked so well that the visuals and elements of the world itself have become very popular. Mario has progressed beyond the 8-Bit era and his design, and the imagination of the series has held up just as well and better with the passage of time and new games.

You make it sound like Mario was just pasted on, when it's very obvious that the entire world of Mrio has a very well thought out zany style to it, a more sucessful one then Rayman at any rate, and needing an avatar for the players to control is something ALL video games have to have, it's not unique to Mario.

Master Blaster said:
Yes, it was sarcasm.

I like the Mario series. It's games are fun, but damned if it isn't a tad overrated! It needs a little deconstructing every now an then. And the character design does suck. I know that the game was never about character design in the first place anyway. It was all about the gameplay. Character design was just an after thought for Miyamoto-san. I'm just saying he could have put a little more effort into it.

And Rayman is simply Rayman. He's the hero of Glade of Dreams (His world.)

one could say the same about Rayman

Anyone that bad mouths Mario...

...blatently has issues and is most probably Sonic's *****. :o

Phaser said:
In typical Internet message board posting tradition, I hereby claim that Miyamoto-san is way overrated. :o

The irony of a man with a Sam Fisher avatar saying that is simply overwhelming.

Matt said:
The irony of a man with a Sam Fisher avatar saying that is simply overwhelming.

I suppose just about everyone like you who has quoted me in this thread is incomprehensibly too dumb to decipher the fact that it was a sarcastic post, despite the presence of a tongue-in-cheek tone and a smiley.

Who would have thought you were capable of sarcasm :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"