The Invisible Man!

I’d say they’re 50/50 on good/bad. But when they’re good, they’re pretty great. So the high on a Get Out or Invisible Man counters the horrible of a Black Christmas and Truth or Dare.

All you need for a horror movie is just a bunch of attractive people, a place to shoot, some practical blood and gore effects, the occasional CG effect, and loud music stings.

I’d say they’re 50/50 on good/bad. But when they’re good, they’re pretty great. So the high on a Get Out or Invisible Man counters the horrible of a Black Christmas and Truth or Dare.
That's fair. I've had a good eye for their crappier films and mostly have avoided those, so my BH experience has been relatively positive.

As a former employee of a major cellphone company who had to work the "deceased customer" report, I'll have to kindly disagree with your hypothesis.

What country and cell provider and did your provider have multi-line multi year contracts?

I have a two year two line contract with my provider. If the other person on my contract dies their line will remain open until the contract is fulfilled, I stop paying, or I inform them the other person died. If I do none of those things the second line remains active.

Last edited:
What country and cell provider and did your provider have multi-line multi year contracts?

I have a two year two line contract with my provider. If the other person on my contract dies their line will remain open until the contract is fulfilled, I stop paying, or I inform them the other person died. If I do none of those things the second line remains active.
USA and VZW. Multiple lines on an account but only one account owner. The owner is the only one legally liable for the amount.

USA and VZW. Multiple lines on an account but only one account owner. The owner is the only one legally liable for the amount.

And that still doesnt rule out a line belonging to a supposedly dead person remaining open. Unless you want to tell me that cell companies get confirmation of death immediately and everytime a person dies.

Plus there are pay per minute phones. Anyone can go in most stores these days and buy minutes for a phone.

And that still doesnt rule out a line belonging to a supposedly dead person remaining open. Unless you want to tell me that cell companies get confirmation of death immediately and everytime a person dies.

Plus there are pay per minute phones. Anyone can go in most stores these days and buy minutes for a phone.
This multi millionaire in this film didn't have a prepay phone and his death was pretty public, so the cell phone company would've known he was deas and shut his account down.

But yes, the IRS and SSA both are notified of deaths, usually through funeral homes and mortuaries, and that report is available to businesses through the SSA. And its illegal to keep an account open in a dead person's name (ID Fraud) so most companies have a protocol to handle the account efficiently.

There's a lot of silly plot conveniences in this, like
The email sent to her sister, and how her sister just immediately flips was wholly unbelievable. Based on what she had gone through, that scene would have gone completely different.
The fact that passwords and keycodes are not being changed by Adrian, even though he's a genius and stalking his ex and she's likely going to go back to his house.
There's no way a dead man's cellphone account would still be working either. After people die, their accounts are shut down.

Sometimes you just gotta suspend your disbelief and enjoy the show.

I was going to ignore this but since you've carrying on about it, I thought I'd point out that what you see as "plot conveniences" could also be considered part of the story:

The passwords/keycodes not being changed by Adrian could've easily been on purpose - i.e., he wanted/expected Cecilia to return. Which would've made sense given his obsession with her.

As for a "dead man's cellphone," the guy faked his own death. What makes you think anything he did wasn't on purpose? It's totally explainable within the context of the movie why his phone would've kept working - i.e., obviously he set that up himself. And it established to Cecilia (and the audience) beyond a shadow of a doubt that Adrian was still alive and indeed not dead, if anyone was still doubting at that point.

Also, regarding the e-mail:

It's clear that her abusive relationship with Adrian took a toll on her relationship with her sister long before the film started. In the opening scene, the sister seems oblivious to any danger from Adrian, which means Cecilia closing herself off and her changing and erratic personality due to Adrian's increasingly controlling ways would've been perceived by the sister to be all Cecilia being an a-hole and generally terrible sister. Their relationship was probably highly strained already, so when she finds out something's genuinely wrong, tries to help Cecilia and gets figuratively spat on and shut out yet again, it's very easy to see how that could've been the last straw. Her sudden "flip" upon receiving that e-mail did not seem at all out-of-the-blue or unbelievable to me, given the context.

I thought this was really good. The first act was so-so, but the second and third acts were tremendous. I don't think it's a movie I'll revisit again, at least not anytime soon, but probably my favorite film of the year so far. I've only seen a handful of films thus far though.

I'm assuming
most believe it actually was Adrian the entire time and not his brother? Was it just his brother the one time? Obviously they were both behind it somehow

Saw this last night and me and family thought it was pretty great. Amazing performance by Moss and Whannells direction was superb at times. He is definitely a director to keep an eye on after this and Upgrade. Can we get him on a CBM or video game movie please?

8/10

I'm assuming
most believe it actually was Adrian the entire time and not his brother? Was it just his brother the one time? Obviously they were both behind it somehow

I think it was
primarily Adrian and just his brother in the suit the one time

Adrian was definitely
Setting his brother up to take the fall that day, even before he was killed. His brother wasn’t much of a killer and let a lot of those guards/witnesses at the hospital live. Only reason he was wearing the suit that one time was so that Adrian could then be found “kidnapped.” Everything the brother said about their relationship was true - Adrian controlled/abused him as he did everyone else, so the brother went along with it as always because that was their relationship, despite whatever personal risk it put on him. All the other times were Adrian in the suit for sure, imo.

So if this is part of a Blumhouse/Universal horror shared universe, how could it work without betraying the horror tone and not turning into some desperate action movie like Tom Cruise's Mummy?

I think a Black Mirror or Stephen King Universe is a good template, as there not forced crossovers, just casual reference's to being part of the same universe.

I'd love to see a creepy psychological drama with Jekyll and Hyde or a horror thriller Werewolf movie but with the Blumhouse minimalist style.

I don't think they're going to approach this in MCU-style universe kind of way.

I'm assuming
That's the fun part of this movie I wasn't expecting: its slight lean into ambiguity.

I saw this the other day and really liked it. Definitely the scariest and most shocking Invisible Man film that I've seen. Elisabeth Moss was PERFECT; anyone who has watched Mad Men and especially The Handmaid's Tale knows that she's not afraid to give a RAW performance and she definitely did not disappoint here. I also thought Aldis Hodge and Storm Reid were very good.

One thing that I really liked here was how it was a suit that turns Griffin invisible, as opposed to a serum or something else that would have resulted in him running around naked the whole time. They also did a very good job of making you unsure of when he's in the room and when he isn't. I do think that Oliver Jackson-Cohen was a little wasted here... I understand making Griffin (literally and figuratively) the unseen threat, but pretty much everything we learn about him is from dialogue from other characters. I understand that they wanted to decentralize him but I felt like we could have seen the actor a bit more (maybe just at the beginning or at the end) because OJC is very good and he could have been utilized a bit better. I think back to Hollow Man, which was terrible, but one thing that did work was Kevin Bacon's compelling villain. I actually wanted him to win because I hated all the hero characters (Elizabeth Shue and Josh Brolin, phoning it in for a paycheck) so much, haha. But maybe that was the point here; they didn't want audiences to root for the bad guy at all. Though I don't know that anyone sane really would have even if they fleshed him out a bit more.

There are also a few plot holes/illogical things that happen. I'm not sure how exactly the faked Griffin's death; that seems like they would need more than just him and his brother in on the whole thing. Also, in the age of business email compromise, I can't believe that Cecilia's sister would have just written her sister off after receiving ONE nasty email, especially after Cecilia swore that she never sent it. These are nitpicks though. The movie overall is very effective and there were scenes that straight up SHOCKED me, which doesn't happen a lot with horror films, honestly. The scene where Griffin cuts the sister's throat left my jaw on the floor.

One last thing. A while back, when the rights to the Fantastic Four reverted back to Marvel, I was fancasting and I thought Elizabeth Moss might make a really compelling Invisible Woman. Looks like that might happen if they make a sequel to this, haha!

Last edited:
Same. I saw this yesterday and enjoyed it. There were a few things I found questionable but nothing that distracted me from the big picture.

I thought it was pretty good - saw it what feels like weeks ago but was Monday. I’m glad that it doesn’t romanticize the physical and/or mental abuse of women like certain other franchises or books.

Had some issues with how the ‘world’ outside the major characters was acting near the end, but all in all overall it was entertaining.

Saw this before the theater lockdowns. I really enjoyed it.

I paid the $19 to watch this on the AMC app. I got a bit restless because so many scenes had already been in the trailer. Enjoyed the twist, but still felt a bit lackluster to me. Maybe if so much wasn't given away in the trailer I would have been more interested. Maybe my expectations were too high since there seemed a bit of hype going on around it. *shurg*

There's a lot of silly plot conveniences in this, like
The email sent to her sister, and how her sister just immediately flips was wholly unbelievable. Based on what she had gone through, that scene would have gone completely different.
The fact that passwords and keycodes are not being changed by Adrian, even though he's a genius and stalking his ex and she's likely going to go back to his house.
There's no way a dead man's cellphone account would still be working either. After people die, their accounts are shut down.

Sometimes you just gotta suspend your disbelief and enjoy the show.

I agree. It's a very sloppy script.

Was it worth the $20 to rent for 48 hours?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"