The Dark Knight The League of Assassins calls for calm

regwec

Make Mine Marble
Reaction score
I should like this thread to be a forum for reflection and reconciliation.

We are all Batfans.

Much more unites than divides us. We all have, or had, high hopes and expectations for the translation of our literary idols on to screen. All but a few of us liked Batman Begins. All but the most hasty and bitter retain respect and admiration for mssrs Nolan and Nolan as creative talents.

The resentment and division that has recently encroached onto these pages is a product of our shared passion and enthusiasm. Those who remain hopeful and optimistic have earned the envy of those who do not. They have an enthusiasm that is fueled rather than dampened by surprise and reinvention in their field or interest. Those of us who express our disappointment do so as fatalist devotees of stories and imaginery people who we feel have been our own since childhood. We too deserve respect.

It is discourteous and wrong for those of us who face disappointment to endeavour to spoil the mood of those who don't. We have no right to patronise them. If we do indeed know and love the literature more than the movies, then that should be a source of consolation for us, rather than a weapon with which to assualt those who do not. We should not do ourselves the disservice of mounting a Blitzkreig on these films and their makers, who deserve the respect that we have offered them for so long.

It is an equivalent shame that some who are satisfied with the metamorphosis of one of our favorite characters have sought to berate and ridicule others for their doubts and conservatism. This smacks of triumphalism; a most unattractive trait. It should be uncontroversially aknowledged that the reinvention of The Joker's aesthetics is just that- a reinvention. This is not in itself an indictment of the Nolans' creative choices, but some of us can be offended when we are erronously lectured on the literary heritage of the characters that we love.

We should all accept that "outlook" is subjective, and personal. Lively discourse is what draws us all to this boards, but our opinions should not be polarised, nor should we become factionalised.

De gustibus nil disputandum est.

I have found myself at the throats of those whom I have long respected, and admired. That cannot be healthy. To that end, I am going to avoid the use of the following terms altogether. I hope you will join me.

Fanboy Nolanite Zombie Hater Nitpicker Geek Nerd Whiner

Thanks- and here's to 2008.

1401202063.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

You want to go back to the boredom when we got no news? This place finally has some spunk and i like it for better or worse.

...that's not really what I said, Weyseed.

Why is it than when it comes to people who don't like the look...they're either passive peacemongers or vehement extremists?

And WHY DO I have to be the vehement extremist to balance your compromising posts out?

Why thank you, Nepenthes. It's about time somebody applauded my posts.

Peaceful, civilized discourse cannot be done, I tell you. Not amongst batfans. It cannot be done.

I understand your sentiment and agree..... somewhat, but what Weyseed said is also true. Maybe even moreso.

For about a year or so it's been SO boring around here and now we're getting spoilers and rumors, good and bad, that exlict some passion and excitiment on theses boards and NOW we should calm down? :huh:

I think it's great we're getting in some intense discussions on the boards with the rumors that flying around. Isn't that what these boards are for in the first place?

Now I'm not keen on the name calling (fanboy, geek, etc.) but a passionate stance on how you feel about the way things are represented when it comes to BAtman and related characters in the movies is a good thing to me.

Now wait a minute, Darknightnomis, I want some peace and you're up here trying to say you don't want peace just because you like it better now? What's wrong with you? That was selfish and idiotic. You're just another fanboy nolanite zombie hater nitpicker geek nerd whiner who doesn't have fun unless he's arguing with somebody. That's it. I'm getting tired of this crap. All you haters hating on peace. I'm sick of it. I can't believe all the people who don't want peace on the board.

I bet all of them like this new Joker look, too.

*sigh* Can't say I didn't try.

I should like this thread to be a forum for reflection and reconciliation.

We are all Batfans.

Much more unites than divides us. We all have, or had, high hopes and expectations for the translation of our literary idols on to screen. All but a few of us liked Batman Begins. All but the most hasty and bitter retain respect and admiration for mssrs Nolan and Nolan as creative talents.

The resentment and division that has recently encroached onto these pages is a product of our shared passion and enthusiasm. Those who remain hopeful and optimistic have earned the envy of those who do not. They have an enthusiasm that is fueled rather than dampened by surprise and reinvention in their field or interest. Those of us who express our disappointment do so as fatalist devotees of stories and imaginery people who we feel have been our own since childhood. We too deserve respect.

It is discourteous and wrong for those of us who face disappointment to endeavour to spoil the mood of those who don't. We have no right to patronise them. If we do indeed know and love the literature more than the movies, then that should be a source of consolation for us, rather than a weapon with which to assualt those who do not. We should not do ourselves the disservice of mounting a Blitzkreig on these films and their makers, who deserve the respect that we have offered them for so long.

It is an equivalent shame that some who are satisfied with the metamorphosis of one of our favorite characters have sought to berate and ridicule others for their doubts and conservatism. This smacks of triumphalism; a most unattractive trait. It should be uncontroversially aknowledged that the reinvention of The Joker's aesthetics is just that- a reinvention. This is not in itself an indictment of the Nolans' creative choices, but some of us can be offended when we are erronously lectured on the literary heritage of the characters that we love.

We should all accept that "outlook" is subjective, and personal. Lively discourse is what draws us all to this boards, but our opinions should not be polarised, nor should we become factionalised.

De gustibus nil disputandum est.

I have found myself at the throats of those whom I have long respected, and admired. That cannot be healthy. To that end, I am going to avoid the use of the following terms altogether. I hope you will join me.

Fanboy Nolanite Zombie Hater Nitpicker Geek Nerd Whiner

Thanks- and here's to 2008.

1401202063.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Very well said, reg. One of the best posts I've read in this forum.

:up: :up:

Now wait a minute, Darknightnomis, I want some peace and you're up here trying to say you don't want peace just because you like it better now? What's wrong with you? That was selfish and idiotic. You're just another fanboy nolanite zombie hater nitpicker geek nerd whiner who doesn't have fun unless he's arguing with somebody. That's it. I'm getting tired of this crap. All you haters hating on peace. I'm sick of it. I can't believe all the people who don't want peace on the board.

I bet all of them like this new Joker look, too.

I don't know if that was REALLY directed at me or a backhanded insult to regwec comments? :dry:

So Regwec are you going to stop calling the new look "The Joke"? Personally I don't mind the banter as long as it's good-natured. I haven't seen anything particularly offensive on these boards and the fiery disagreements often lead to interesting insights. There's nothing funnier than watching other people argue (The Apprentice has given me more joy than anything else on TV, except perhaps for Tony Soprano rowing with Carmella).
By the way who called you a zombie? What was all that about???

So NOW what kind of insinuations are you trying to make, Darknightnomis? Are you trying to turn regwec against me? Boy, you sure love to destroy peace, don't you? I can't believe it. The nerve of you! I bet you like this Joke too, don't you? And you probably came here with the INTENT PURPOSE of ruining this board. What kind of man are you, eh?

*sigh* Can't say I didn't try.

And it's admirable.

What I know from experience is that no matter what side you're on, there's always this one Mega Zord who tries to dominate all discussion. "It's my way, or the highway." and anyone who can't write longer posts than them is simply wrong.

So rather than having a collection of varying views, we must all take shots at writing longer posts than the super mega zord of the board to have our views validated... and then all the weaklings hide behind the mega zord of the board and say "great post" "I agree" "have my baby"

That's the way it's always been. that's the way it always will be.

Well, Regwec, I agree with the sentiments expressed, and merely look forward to passionate debate about all elements of the production, and an end to name-calling and insults, which just serves to make things worse. If anyone thinks it's healthy to be at each other's throats, fire ahead, be my guest.

So NOW what kind of insinuations are you trying to make, Darknightnomis? Are you trying to turn regwec against me? Boy, you sure love to destroy peace, don't you? I can't believe it. The nerve of you! I bet you like this Joke too, don't you? And you probably came here with the INTENT PURPOSE of ruining this board. What kind of man are you, eh?

I would dare say you and regwec have a "strained" relationship regardless of what I insinuate in your comments.

But to use the VERY same words he used in his inital comments to what people on these boards call one another as insults to insult me sounds like a sarcatistc and backhanded toward him.

And NO I didn't come on here to ruin this boards. I respect his opinion, but I share a different take from his comments. This is why these boards are here. point....counterpoint. that's all.

As for the type of man I am. well....

I'm a simple man with simple needs.

I like to hear the sound of children laughing.

I like the smell of lilacs and the feel of a sunbeam on my face.

I like my scutum routinely shaven by spidermonnkeys with mach 3 razors.

I like web feet on my women.

I have wodden legs and real feet.

I like the mascare on my face to run to give me that "Joan Crawford" look.

I'm a flaming herterometrosexual.

I have a panchant for buggery and believe in the science of science fiction but the sound of silence is too indifferent for me.

Now I realize you were just being sarcastic in your response and I have a great sacrastic sense of humor about myself so I have no problem with it and will go toe to toe with you in sarcasm until we run out of bandwith, but there is really no need to backhandly insult regwec with it by using my comments.

So, in being sarcastic, are you implying that you hate the sound of children laughing? Or just children? Or maybe even laughing? If it is the latter, you have no right to call yourself a "Joker" fan. I'm ashamed of you.

I personally enjoyed Bermejo's measured consideration of being "kicked in the balls and punched in the face".

Yoko Ono has this foundation in Israel that teaches Jewish and Palestinian kids about modern art. She funnels a LOT of money into it. When asked why, she said that the sphere of art is the only place where such radical differences can be reconclied. So we should be able to manage ;-)

And I do envy those with enthusiasm for this reimagined Joker. I hope it works in a way that I never saw coming. I really do. Nolan just needs to charge forward. None of the worlds greatest ideas were recognized as such right off the bat. John Ford said he never listened to consumer suggestions. His reasoning was "if I asked the consumer what he wanted, he would have said a faster horse."

Chaos, sweet chaos. Levy thy golden plume.

It seems that in all it's shining silver, this board has done only one thing.

Invent the ULTIMATE insult.

"Fanboy-Nolanite-Zombie-Hater-Nitpicker-Geek-Nerd-Whiner"

So, in being sarcastic, are you implying that you hate the sound of children laughing? Or just children? Or maybe even laughing? If it is the latter, you have no right to call yourself a "Joker" fan. I'm ashamed of you.

All of the above and none of the same.

And rememeber the Joker's "laughing" is a really about the Joke that life is and not really funny which is why he delivers the "punchline" to his victims. So he really loves to not laugh to himself but loves the laughing of others knowing the joke. Just like me.

And I'm a Batman fan not a Joker fan. I get no better joy than when BAtman beat the snot out of the Joker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davutha
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"