The MLB 2007 Thread

Superman79

Superman79 Returns
Reaction score
Ok, since winter meetings are in full swing and there are a lot of rumors and (hopefully) trades going on, I figured we needed to get this thread started for next spring...

I mean with Sheff gone form the Yanks, the Dodgers making moves, and of course my Red Sox spending $51million to TALK to a great Japanese pitcher...theres stuff going on.

Personally, I'm not sure what to make of sigining JD Drew for 5 years and $70 Mil...almost seems a bit steep. Plus we got Julio Lugo for 4 years (I hope this isn't a Renteria type deal...)

Sheff is with MY DETROIT TIGERS! :up:

I hope the O's can get a good LF, but there isn't any really good free agents left.

Barry Bonds is available.

Barry Bonds without steroids isn't really crap, though. He's still decent.

I don't get why J.D. Drew got $70 million, he's not that good. 20 Homers? .283 avg?

My Braves can only improve from this past season, mainly they need pitchers who won't blow a lead. I look for Mike Hampton to be back in action in '07 after surgery kept him out this year, he's a great one.
We could have gotten Tom Glavine back, but nooo.

Braves had their run, they're in rebuilding.

Sorry 'fire :csad: :up:

Dodgers just signed jason Schmidt.....ummmm I dont know how I feel about that.

Anyone else feel these contracts are getting a little bit out of hand? It,s not my money but 45million for three years for an 11-9 pitcher? (schmidt)

Jd drew getting 70 million! he's making more than big papi and man-ram. He only hit 20hrs last year and only played in 150 games twice!

WHA????? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! :down

They are CLOSE to signing Schmidt, not finalized yet.

Hell to the no.

I heard Dodgers or White Sox.

Mariners desperately need new pitchers and... a new manager. Especially a new manager.

The dodgers aren't confirming it because he needs to pass a physical. here's the article,

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- The Dodgers apparently are on the verge of acquiring the power pitcher they've coveted, as free-agent right-hander Jason Schmidt on Wednesday told former Giants teammates he accepted a three-year, $47 million offer to pitch in Los Angeles.

In acquiring Schmidt, Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti would succeed in a key step of his offseason Plan B -- accumulating surplus starting pitching that not only improves his starting rotation, but could lead to the culmination of Plan A, a power hitter.

The club would not confirm the deal, which would be contingent on Schmidt passing a physical exam. Schmidt's physical condition is no secret to the Dodgers, who recently hired his trainer with the Giants, Stan Conte. Colletti also has familiarity with Schmidt, having helped acquire him as the Giants' assistant general manager.

In Schmidt, the Dodgers not only would get an ace, but take one away from the Giants, a National League West rival. Schmidt, who turns 34 in January, went 11-9 with a 3.59 ERA in 2006, making 32 starts and throwing 213 1/3 innings. He had three complete games, more than the entire Dodgers' staff. In 12 Major League seasons, he has a 127-90 record and 3.91 ERA.

The three-time All-Star would head a rotation that includes Derek Lowe, Brad Penny, Chad Billingsley and Randy Wolf. In addition, the Dodgers have starters Mark Hendrickson, Hong-Chih Kuo and Brett Tomko on their roster. Speculation is bound to include Penny and/or Hendrickson in future talks for a hitter.

The Dodgers apparently won a bidding war that included the Seattle Mariners, Chicago Cubs and St. Louis Cardinals. Schmidt's best seasons were 2003-04, when he went 17-5 with a league-leading 2.34 ERA and 18-7 with a 3.20 ERA. He is coming off a contract that paid him $10.5 million in 2006.

so, it's pretty much a done deal. I hope.

Also, on the Dodgers forums theres an article about the dodgers getting Manny. Manny, for Penny, broxton and a third blue chip prospect. Whether, thats Loney, laroche or kemp I don't know. Theo Epstein said he turned down a deal with kemp. So i dont think it's going to happen.

Mariners = Eew.

Nice to see you Bella :)

The market for free agents is ridiculous. Gary Matthews Jr. got 50$ million from the Angels when if he doesnt make that crazy catch in August, no way he makes that much money. But JD Drew making 70 million, wow. Scott Boras must be a negociating genius.

Gotendbz-2 said:
I don't get why J.D. Drew got $70 million, he's not that good. 20 Homers? .283 avg?

Boston seemed desperate i think...that or Theo knows smoething we don;t (Which is usually the case)

I just can't wait to get Matsuka...it'll be great!

****. :cmad:
That's two pitchers we should have had. :cmad:
I will have Bryan Cashman's head on a stick if he doesn't get Barry Zito. :cmad:

farmerfran said:
Mariners = Eew.

Nice to see you Bella :)
Yeah... I know you hate all the teams I love. :mad: :(
Btw, I love the Yankees too. :o

Ben Urich said:
****. :cmad:
That's two pitchers we should have had. :cmad:
I will have Bryan Cashman's head on a stick if he doesn't get Barry Zito. :cmad:

I don't think you want him Ben...he's on the downhill...I mean even the BoSox wouldn't go after him, and we technically REALLY needed a pitcher...

DBella said:
Yeah... I know you hate all the teams I love. :mad: :(
Btw, I love the Yankees too. :o

Yeah, but we can find a way to see past that...;) :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole