The Ned Stark Appreciation Thread

scatterax

Presented in Technicolor
Reaction score
State your thoughts and opinions on the most noble man that ever lived (or died) in the game of thrones mythos.

Eddard Stark

A heart-warming character that was sadly too honourable for this show. His scenes with Arya were a joy to watch.

Just think how different the show would be if he had been able to back stannis with the full force of the north.

Just think how different the show would be if he had been able to back stannis with the full force of the north.

If you have the game Crusader Kings 2, you can download the A Song of Fire & Ice fan mod and make it happen. ;)

I wonder would Renly back up Ned + Stannis, or wage war with them with his Tyrell alliance?

If you have the game Crusader Kings 2, you can download the A Song of Fire & Ice fan mod and make it happen. ;)

I wonder would Renly back up Ned + Stannis, or wage war with them with his Tyrell alliance?

And if he did, would Stannis and Ned's alliance break down if Stannis and Melisandre use the shadow baby? It's funny how there are so many different routes this show/book series can take.

And if he did, would Stannis and Ned's alliance break down if Stannis and Melisandre use the shadow baby? It's funny how there are so many different routes this show/book series can take.

I don't think stannis would have ever gotten that desperate if he had the north on his side. no shadow baby required.

if he never got captured ned would have never declared joffrey the rightful king, so kings landing would have been even more hostile towards him, and he would have far less support. the lannisters would be in hot water. it'd be like how the starks are now for them.

Considering that Ned and Stannis are both (to various extents) heroes of the Rebellion, I'd think a good portion of the common folk would be drawn to them over the likes of the Lannisters.

Ah, Ned :csad: even though the book was published way back in 1996, it's still shocking how a writer could kill off the main character - who was arguably the best person in that entire story - at the end of the book and then spend the rest of the series mostly focusing on antagonistic characters.

"The North Remembers"

Basically everything the Northerners say in ADWD makes me respect Ned a hell of a lot more. To have that much devotion and loyalty from 99% of your people speaks volumes for what kind of leader he was.

At least we can see this great character again every time we rewatch season 1. If he'd survived to back Stannis properly there could be no resistance to the true King.

I don't think stannis would have ever gotten that desperate if he had the north on his side. no shadow baby required.

I suppose that depends on if whether or not Renly still wanted a crown for himself, and acquired the backing of Highgarden. Stannis' forces are paltry, and the true strength of the StanNed Coalition would be the North. But Highgarden combined with Storm's End was 100,000+ troops, so they're still a huge obstacle. Plus, Renly is always being such a little **** to Stannis. :funny:

I can't see Renly having much enthusiasm when Ned & the North are with Stannis. He had to be convinved by Loras in the 1st place & I don't think either would have the stomach for a much bigger war.

I can't see Renly having much enthusiasm when Ned & the North are with Stannis. He had to be convinved by Loras in the 1st place & I don't think either would have the stomach for a much bigger war.

Eh, that was just something the show added. In the books he's a fair bit more arrogant and confident. He actively tries [BLACKOUT]to arrange for Robert to leave Cersei and take Margaery as his new bride, and actually asks Ned if Margaery looks like Lyanna, hoping that would make Robert favour her more. He seems to be more active in the "game of thrones" in the books.[/BLACKOUT] But in terms of the TV series, yeah, he was a little weak-willed. He seems like he just kinda went where people wanted him to.

Eh, that was just something the show added. In the books he's a fair bit more arrogant and confident. He actively tries [BLACKOUT]to arrange for Robert to leave Cersei and take Margaery as his new bride, and actually asks Ned if Margaery looks like Lyanna, hoping that would make Robert favour her more. He seems to be more active in the "game of thrones" in the books.[/BLACKOUT] But in terms of the TV series, yeah, he was a little weak-willed. He seems like he just kinda went where people wanted him to.
Who commands the Highgarden army? Is it a known character? I can't see the TV versions of Loras & Renly being able to confront Stannis & Ned (the dream team lol) when the forces are more evenly matched. Renly was comfortable joking around when he confronted Stannis but that was when his forces were a lot stronger. Sure the book versions are likely quite different.

Who commands the Highgarden army? Is it a known character? I can't see the TV versions of Loras & Renly being able to confront Stannis & Ned (the dream team lol) when the forces are more evenly matched. Renly was comfortable joking around when he confronted Stannis but that was when his forces were a lot stronger. Sure the book versions are likely quite different.

I believe in the books it's basically Randyll Tarly who leads Renly's bannermen, Sam's father. He's basically Tywin Mark II and a badass on the battlefield to boot.

still sends chills down my spine when in first episode he tells Cat
Bran won't be a boy forever and WINTER IS COMING

Did they cover much of Ned's back story in that aSoIaF encyclopedia book? If so, did they add anything cool to his story?

They'll mention his family tree, what house his mother was from etc, but probably not too many details. I think they said it covers some of the Greyjoy Rebellion, so perhaps we'll hear about how Ned commanded the Northerners during that war.

ЯɘvlveR;29132471 said:
Ned should have taken the throne. not fat drunk ass Robert.

If Ned sat on the throne, Viserys Targaryen could have taken the kingdom back easily by talking Ned into betting it on the three cups and a ball game.

If Ned sat on the throne, Viserys Targaryen could have taken the kingdom back easily by talking Ned into betting it on the three cups and a ball game.

What makes you so sure?

2799_44cc.jpeg.jpg

Now four seasons into it, I understand why Ned Stark had to die. I don't quite take the cynical viewpoint that the setting was just too evil for a truly good man. I think it's more about what happens to the characters surrounding him when you kick away the moral compass. Not just his children, but also Littlefinger and Varys and others who were indirectly guided or held back by his influence.

What makes you so sure?

VISERYS: Okay, before we begin this game, I should tell you that you statistically only have a 33% chance of winning.

NED: Okay.

VISERYS: And there's a chance that I will do that thing where I secretly drop the ball off the edge of the table onto my lap so you can't possibly find it.

NED: Right, got it.

VISERYS: Actually, it's very likely I will do that.

NED: It's okay, I trust you.

VISERYS: Wow. Okay, let's do it then ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"