The Official League Of Extroirdanary Gentlemen Thread

If you see the commentary Connery says he read and turned down the scripts for the matrix, and harry potter cause he didn't understand them. And he didn't understand this one either but he decided to give it a shot.

He should have kept his whole not doing things he didnt understand thing going. Would have saved him the shame of this movie. And who would he have been in Matrix? The Architecht?

The only decent part about the movie was Connery. They just completly missed the point.

Connery was crap. He can't act, he just has screen presence. Wasn't it the case that his character is supposed to be in a opium den and Connery refused to do that? Connery is an ego-driven idiot and I'm glad he retired.

Here's some examples of changes from the comics...

In the comics, Quartermain was a junkie who had to literally be dragged out of an opium den.

Captain Nemo murdered people with a spear gun in his first appearance.

The Invisible Man was recruited from a girls school, where he had been hanging out and raping the students. He also beat a policeman to death just for the hell of it.

Hyde ATE PEOPLE.

Mina wasn't a vampire, and actually had some character.

Well, in fairness that's not why this was a bad movie. The mainstream don't care about all that and showing Hyde eating someone or Invisible Man raping people wouldn't have worked.

The movie fell down for other reasons - for a start the horrible giant Hyde-Hulk thing at the end was ridiculed from here to the other side of the world, and was far too over the top, just like seeing Hyde roar under water on the Nautilus! There was little attempt at depth or substance, and the flashy FX scenes made no sense, and that's why it failed.

Adding in Tom Sawyer and making Mina a vampire was neither here nor there. How would Mina hold her own in fight scenes without having some extraordinary ability? Without being vampiric, what made her 'Extraordinary.'???

He should have kept his whole not doing things he didnt understand thing going. Would have saved him the shame of this movie. And who would he have been in Matrix? The Architecht?

Morpheus actually.

Connery was crap. He can't act, he just has screen presence. Wasn't it the case that his character is supposed to be in a opium den and Connery refused to do that? Connery is an ego-driven idiot and I'm glad he retired.
Take That Back! you ego driven NutCRacker
lol:hehe:

Morpheus actually.
i can definately see that

I liked the comic as well. I just liked this movie cus I saw it before I read the comic.

Well I haven´t read the comics

but I really liked the movie, I have it on DVD

And I will see if I get the GN in amazon

No, they talk about that in the commentary. Only the first issue of the series had came out when they wrote the script, and while writing it they decided not to do the opium den thing "because they had already done it in From Hell." I don't understand that logic, no one would have known except movie and comic buffs that these guys wrote both the movies and never would have gone "f**k this they just ripped off From Hell!" as they're such different movies.

Also, Connery is awesome. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Finding Forrester, all his Bond movies. He's a really good actor.

Morpheus actually.

yeah...I could see that I guess. Although I cant picture Connery in all that leather...

Funny story - I actually got kicked out of the theatre about half an hour in for standing up in my seat and screaming, "RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! RAAAAAAAAAAAGE!"

Connery can act, sure - but here, it was like he woke up in his trailer every day, mixed himself a drink, and was like, "You know what? I'm just not going to act today."

Geezus.

I think that was the part they offered him.

Funny story - I actually got kicked out of the theatre about half an hour in for standing up in my seat and screaming, "RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! RAAAAAAAAAAAGE!"

Connery can act, sure - but here, it was like he woke up in his trailer every day, mixed himself a drink, and was like, "You know what? I'm just not going to act today."

Geezus.

Even him sleepwalking through the role was better than anyone else in this thing did, except maybe the guy who played the invisible man. He was fine as a sort of charming rouge...which yeah, isnt what the character should have been, but he did well with what he had to work with.

The terrible and cheap effects were trumped by the terrible and cheap script. The movie wasn't much, but at least it was sort or watchable to a point. It was kind of cool that these people were assembled to save the world. Sure the dialogue and action a laughable and it is just barely entertaining, but it's not Batman and Robin bad for some of the film. But, once we find out the League is a fake, it ruins the entire film. It never recovers from that plot point. The only thing the film had going for it is gone in an instant. Once the film changes focus, it loses any credibility and substance.

The terrible and cheap effects were trumped by the terrible and cheap script. The movie wasn't much, but at least it was sort or watchable to a point. It was kind of cool that these people were assembled to save the world. Sure the dialogue and action a laughable and it is just barely entertaining, but it's not Batman and Robin bad for some of the film. But, once we find out the League is a fake, it ruins the entire film. It never recovers from that plot point. The only thing the film had going for it is gone in an instant. Once the film changes focus, it loses any credibility and substance.

The League being fake I was fine with. That's right from the comics. The reasons for it being fake on the other hand, and their reaction to it, are pretty crap though.

Even him sleepwalking through the role was better than anyone else in this thing did, except maybe the guy who played the invisible man. He was fine as a sort of charming rouge...which yeah, isnt what the character should have been, but he did well with what he had to work with.

I guess.

For some reason, even though I saw it, my brain has a hard time believing this movie exists...like the Super Mario Bros. movie.

I really enjoyed the movie, the first time anyway. I watched it knowing it was an apparent abonimation of a book I'd never read and that was probably why I was able to get into it. The addition of Tom Sawyer was clever.

I dont see why the studio didn't think a film in the style of the comics wouldn't work. The concept is incredibly attractive and broadly appealing, from kids right up to older more discerning viewers. And once you get Connery on board it's hard to make a film that people don't want to see. They could have made it as esoteric, mature and thoughtful as the book and it would still recieve attention.

I really enjoyed the movie, the first time anyway. I watched it knowing it was an apparent abonimation of a book I'd never read and that was probably why I was able to get into it. The addition of Tom Sawyer was clever.

I dont see why the studio didn't think a film in the style of the comics wouldn't work. The concept is incredibly attractive and broadly appealing, from kids right up to older more discerning viewers. And once you get Connery on board it's hard to make a film that people don't want to see. They could have made it as esoteric, mature and thoughtful as the book and it would still recieve attention.

It's not that they didn't think one like the book would work, it was that the book wasn't out when they wrote the script. They talk about it on the commentary that all they had was Moore's story outline, and that they wrote it pretty much totally independently from the book. It's the same type of s**t they're pulling with Wanted.

It's not that they didn't think one like the book would work, it was that the book wasn't out when they wrote the script. They talk about it on the commentary that all they had was Moore's story outline, and that they wrote it pretty much totally independently from the book. It's the same type of s**t they're pulling with Wanted.

except wanted looks good..

and from what i heard the first 40min are page by page like the book...

except wanted looks good..

and from what i heard the first 40min are page by page like the book...

No, Wanted looks terrible. And nothing from it could possibly be page by page from the book, as they've totally removed super powers, costumes, interdimensional travel, the entire point of the Fraternity, etc. etc.

WINO is going to be more of an abomination than even LXG, which is at least watchable.

Woah! :wow: The film should've stuck with the comic.

Also, Peta Wilson makes one hot red head. :o

Yes, it should have.

All except one thing. I would have walked out in the theatre at the scene where Hyde rapes a certain man to death. I thought that was entirely stupid and disgusting to the point where it knocked Alan Moore down a notch for me...even if was the writer of V for Vendetta and Watchmen.

Yes, it should have.

All except one thing. I would have walked out in the theatre at the scene where Hyde rapes a certain man to death. I thought that was entirely stupid and disgusting to the point where it knocked Alan Moore down a notch for me...even if was the writer of V for Vendetta and Watchmen.

spoilers for the comic ahead, dont read if you havent read the comics.

It was in character for Hyde, and seeing as how we meet that character, a fitting way for him to go out. A taste of his own medicine. Plus, the lousy traitor deserved it.

spoilers for the comic ahead, dont read if you havent read the comics.

It was in character for Hyde, and seeing as how we meet that character, a fitting way for him to go out. A taste of his own medicine. Plus, the lousy traitor deserved it.

I never said it wasn't in character. It's just there's a difference to me with a girl getting raped(don't get me wrong, it's still a disgusting act)and someone getting raped in the wrong hole and getting literally ripped apart.

No matter what, rape of any kind is a disgusting act but the way Moore did it was uneccessary.

It didn't ruin the books for me but it was a little nasty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"