• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Superman II The Official Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut Discussion/News Thread!!!!

Lazlo Panaflex said:
So just how many sets are there coming out 8-disc or 14 disc?

From the looks of things, it's gonna be an 8 disc set, with the other six being released seperately...but I'm just guessing....
and if I were to keep guessing, I'd say the other 6 would be a 2 disc SR, a 2 disc Donnor cut, and 2 disc Supergirl. But still, all guesses.

Great thread!!!!!!!!!!! I saw a snippet of missed footage online and stopped myself becasue I want to wait for the dvd. I also think I'm going to buy the Superman 2 SE.

I think it's safe to say that this film will be an unqualified success. So much so that I feel that it will be the greatest superhero comic book movie of all time. I did watch the Lester version for the last time yesterday and I can't believe some people actually think it's better then the first one. To me and I'm sure to many fans out there the upcoming Superman 2 will be like Superman 2 is finally being released for the first time after almost 30 years. It will also render the Lester version useless.

Take the three clips for example. Look at how much better the acting is in the Daily Planet scenes. The actors actually look like they're into it. Where in the Lester version they look like they are just going through the motions. Even in the brief battle clip. The villians seem more of a threat and more of a challenge to Superman.

Now I know there is always that slight chance that it could end up being a huge failure. But, let's face it. There is no way that they are going to **** on the legacy of Christopher Reeve by doing a half assed job with this project.

November 28th can't come soon enough

I loved the original Superman II, but the idea of Donner's version coming out, excites me like no other film before. I can't wait. Roll on November 28th!!!

captain_jimbo said:
I loved the original Superman II, but the idea of Donner's version coming out, excites me like no other film before. I can't wait. Roll on November 28th!!!

Exactly my sentiments. :)

I love everything except the one shot lifted and flipped horizontally from STM

http://www.supermancinema.co.uk/daily_planet/news/index.shtml

News Update 27th July, 2006

14 disc Ultimate Edition is still on the cards but details yet to be finalised. Release Date unknown.

Superman 2 Richard Donner cut is not part of the Christopher Reeve boxset, you have to buy it separately! As for Richard Donner's involvement, Digital Bits posted this:

Donner himself has stated in many interviews that he did not intend to be personally involved with the cutting of the new version. That's true, however he did give his permission to Warner Home Video for the cut to be done. What's more, I'm told that when he was later shown progress edits of the new cut of the film, he began suggesting additional tweaks, edits and changes... suggestions which were accommodated by the studio. In effect, he had final say on the film's editing and special effects, so the reality is that he DID eventually become involved. We hope that eases your concerns.

The ending of the Donner cut (scroll over to read SPOILER)is the time reversal. Listening to the Comic Con coverage again, Thau interrupted Donner from giving away the ending. According to the details I have here, that's the ending.

Listening to the Comic Con audio of the Donner opening, the release of the villains sounds terrifying, Zod sounds like a monster in this one.

:) :up: :supes:

captain_jimbo said:

You said it dude. How many times must we have seen Lester's version? Damn, that's a movie. :D

HI

Im really confused now. LOL

I have the current dvd of one and two. Was waiting for the collecotrs set before buying 3 and 4.

After seeing Superman Returns, which i enjoyed, it made me appreciate the 4 Chris movies all over again. Although 3 and 4 had some sad moments, they also had some thrilling moments like the scenes with Clark and Lana..and the good superman/bad superman fight.

In 4, it was more the special effects that were bad. But the scenes between Clark and Lois were really good. The Stacy woman falling for Clark while lois was still hung up on Superman..I think they had their good moments.

As to 1 and 2---masterpieces. And I anticipate enjoying the Donner cut as I would a brand new movie. Thats a must even thought is a separate purchase.

But Im not sure if i want to buy the 8 disc set..getting redundant version of 1 and 2..or of I should just buy 3 and 4 singly. Id like to own the 50th Anniversary daily Planet special again. I had it on beta..

Like i said..confused what to get.

LOL

EL

ReeveFan1978 said:
HI

I have the current dvd of one and two. Was waiting for the collecotrs set before buying 3 and 4.

After seeing Superman Returns, which i enjoyed, it made me appreciate the 4 Chris movies all over again. Although 3 and 4 had some sad moments, they also had some thrilling moments like the scenes with Clark and Lana..and the good superman/bad superman fight.

In 4, it was more the special effects that were bad. But the scenes between Clark and Lois were really good. The Stacy woman falling for Clark while lois was still hung up on Superman..I think they had their good moments.

As to 1 and 2---masterpieces. And I anticipate enjoying the Donner cut as I would a brand new movie. Thats a must even thought is a separate purchase.

But Im not sure if i want to buy the 8 disc set..getting redundant version of 1 and 2..or of I should just buy 3 and 4 singly. Id like to own the 50th Anniversary daily Planet special again. I had it on beta..

LOL

EL

Okay, well the Richard Donner version of Superman II will be a new movie, almost - apparently it's 50-70% different from the existing version.

Superman IV should be worth picking up because it will include -finally! - some of the 30 minutes of deleted scenes, which were thought destroyed for almost twenty years.

Pu it al together and there's a heck of a lot of new material in these new DVDs.

ReeveFan1978 said:
HI

LOL

EL

Well I'll tell you what to do, buy 'em all!!!

I plan on getting the Donner version and the 8 box set, and I can't f**king wait!:up:

boywonder13 said:
this might be only one disc actuall here''s whats gonna be part of the set: http://www.supermancinema.co.uk/daily_planet/dvd2006/s2dvd2006.asp

Superman doesnt turn back time!! no amnesia kiss to Lois!!! and latest Superman II RDcut news: http://www.supermancinema.co.uk/daily_planet/news/index.shtml

:up:

Wait...this is weird...when it comes to the big reveal of Clark as Superman...the movie will stop and you'll have to choose whether or not to watch the reused screentest footage, or the pink bear footage from Lester's version?! And the screentest will have a disclaimer on it? Uhh...this will be awkward, I thought they were gonna make the movie flow...I don't want to feel like I'm watching a slideshow with descriptions...

BatFitz said:
Wait...this is weird...when it comes to the big reveal of Clark as Superman...the movie will stop and you'll have to choose whether or not to watch the reused screentest footage, or the pink bear footage from Lester's version?! And the screentest will have a disclaimer on it? Uhh...this will be awkward, I thought they were gonna make the movie flow...I don't want to feel like I'm watching a slideshow with descriptions...
I think they tried to but the scene changes so drastically from the different shoots that they had to.

Well, I could do without...but I guess other people would need it

^That's a piece of artwork I created for the Donner cut...

GReat packaging!! Wouldnt that be cool. But they'll probably go with a version of one of the original posters..

EL

That is pretty badass, D4rkseid. In reality, we'll probably get something recycled.

Yeah, that's great D4rkseid, nice bit of designing there.

D4rkseid said:

^That's a piece of artwork I created for the Donner cut...

:up: That is the best piece of fan art I have ever seen. And one of the best DVD covers I have ever seen.

Weir said:
This is great and all and ill get Superman II, but I gotta say I want them to release the full version of Superman I taped off of TV when I was a kid. That version is 3 hours long!, Not including commercials and has stuff the dvds dont! And this is good stuff they took out, like Superman saving more people, Luthor making funny jokes and such, theres alot of side plots that were removed.

Second they should release all the deleted material of Superman II on an extended Lester Cut, and the Donnor Cut.

Thirdly, a extended cut of Superman III should be released, it exists.

And finally going back and editing Superman IV properly and adding the correct restorations to it.

That would call for the 14 set, and I wish they did that.

However this Donnor cut is going to be awesome!

See, why don't they do that? If there's footage I've never seen before, I want to see it. On the point of III and IV, they should definitely re-cut and re-edit them and try to tidy them up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"