• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Phantom

Saw the entire SyFy mini-series recently. To my surprise, I loved it. It's not completely flawless (few comic book adaptations are), but overally I thought it was a very fine adaptation of the Phantom, despite some minor issues.

And the new costume looked damn good in some scenes. It's much more Phantom-like when actually seen on screen than it is in still photos (keep in mind the final outfit they went with is NOT the "hoodie" designs we saw posted a year ago), and Ryan Carnes looks damn good in it. The hood could be a bit better, but overally I now like the look. Believe me, the awful photos they have released of it do not do the costume justice.

Carnes did a good job as the new Ghost Who Walks, and gives an overally solid performance. His "Phantom voice" is beyond awesome; deep and commanding.
The ending is mouthwatering, and I hope it gets picked up for a regular series because it opens up a lot of interesting possibilities. With "The Phantom Legacy" seemingly going nowhere anytime soon I recommend this to everybody who likes comics. It will air on SyFy in June (I got my copy from an American who recorded it from Candian TV).

There are some nifty action scenes, the villain is pretty good (and rather over the top in some scenes, but thankfully not in the "Treat Williams in 1996 Phantom" way), and the script is actually quite faithful to its source, most of the changes builds upon what Lee Falk already wrote and does not contradict the great man's work. Part 1 feels the most "Phantom-like", particularly its awesome cliffhanger ending (a magical scene, just terrific stuff). Part 2 has some slight pacing issues, but is overally solid.

SyFy: More please.

Last edited:
With a name like Walker I think it's safe to assume you are a big fan. Can you give us a more detailed review? How did you see it anyways?

The Phantom is the only comic book I ever REALLY cared about. I am an extremely passionate fan (the only thing I have ever discussed on these boards is the Phantom) who loves the character and collects everything related to him (that I can afford, anyway, one needs a social life too!).

As I said, I got a copy that is recorded from Canadian TV. Pretty good picture quality too, thankfully. The guy who gave it to me is also a massive "phan", and he really liked the mini too.

I have promised to deliver a full review to www.chroniclechamber.com soon, and I'll tell you when it is available (if you scroll down a bit on that page you'll find some of my initial thoughts too. That was written after my first viewing, on my second most of the issues I describe in my initial take didn't bother me much, and I went from "liking it" to "really liking it").

I'm sure not everybody will be as enthusiastic about the show as myself (especially purists who is angered by even the tiniest change), but I think if people give it a chance a lot of folks could like it. It is thankfully also apparent SyFy actually spent some money on the thing, which they certainly didn't with their boring take on Flash Gordon. It doesn't look as good as Battlestar Galactica visually, but it still looks nice (though the exterior of the Skull Cave was more impressive in the Zane film, the interior is quite cool).

First In-Costume Promotional Photo Of Syfy's "The Phantom"
syfyphantom.jpg

KryptonSite also says that...

http://www.kryptonsite.com/

Even Nightman makes fun of your costume

60651335.jpg

It looks appalingly awful in that photo, but when you see it on screen it looks like a completely different outfit. I could still recognize it as the Phantom, which I couldn't in horrible shots like these. When Kit shows himself as the Phantom to his girlfriend for the first time, there is this awesome shot where the outfit looks incredibly cool.

I would prefer if a regular series tweaked the hood so that it looks even more like the one in the comic, but I'm quite fine with it the way it appears in the series too. SyFy has really screwed up in releasing the worst possible shots of it online so far. I'll try to take a photo of it from my TV. It's not a perfect costume, but it's a good one, and I don't ask for more after seeing the terrible initial designs. And Carnes and his stuntmen can move in it really well, which I also didn't expect.

The angle that photo is taken from makes it look like he's got a water melon hidden in his helmet (because this is a high tech helmet, not a hood), which is not the case in the series, thankfully his head looks pretty much normal sized on screen. ;)

Even the "turtleneck" makes sense, since he uses it to protect the lower half of his face.

Wow!Really? It's decent?

Maybe I won't write this off completely.

Decent is the word. If I had to rate it, I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10.

Not too optimistic about it becoming a regular series though even if it should have solid ratings, the company behind the thing is getting sued for a lot of money with accusations of fraud. :cmad:

I'm watching it now. It's not...bad. I don't love it or hate it. Feels like the usual Hallmark mini series. Not mind blowing. Only real issues I have is the directing is terrible, some of the acting is bad, and the costume.

I doubt it'll be picked up for series. If it were though I would like his costume to be upgraded to a more modern version of the old one. Some kind of cross between the Billy Zane version with modern ideas. Kind off like how the Batman costume is modern but still looks like Batman. The costume in this was a real joke, even the original Phantom one was.

I saw it, pretty terrible. It's another case of someone who knows nothing about NY placing a movie in NY. Aside from some stock footage it doesn't look at all like NY.

Also, the girl says Chris (Kitt) lives just a few blocks away and she just met him. But then later on in the movie it's stated that she lives in Hoboken, NJ and Kitt lives in Queens, NY. A whole other state away! How is that just a few blocks away now?

Also, the French accents on the cops who pick up Kitt an his friend after the opening freerunning scenes just screams Canada.

I saw it, pretty terrible. It's another case of someone who knows nothing about NY placing a movie in NY. Aside from some stock footage it doesn't look at all like NY.

Also, the girl says Chris (Kitt) lives just a few blocks away and she just met him. But then later on in the movie it's stated that she lives in Hoboken, NJ and Kitt lives in Queens, NY. A whole other state away! How is that just a few blocks away now?

Also, the French accents on the cops who pick up Kitt an his friend after the opening freerunning scenes just screams Canada.
I forgot about the few blocks part.

Prison Mike the mini premiers in June.

Jersey a few blocks away from Queens?

She must be using a black hole to travel or something...

I'm not a fan of it either, but it's decent so far.

Ive grown up with the Phantom and the whole legacy aspect of it was a big draw for me....so at least they got that right...I do like the Singh Brotherhood being this big multinational enterprise now

I watched it, very impressive. I hope this gets turned into a series.

I have to say, watched two hours of it. Blah.... sucky.

hopefully the new movie gets it right.....if it ever gets produced

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"