• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The 'race' issue...

I'm sure there are a few people who would've wanted a white guy to play Goku, but DB is a manga based on a character from Asian mythology who has a Japanese name. I'm hard-pressed to think of any reason why Goku should've been made white, except he has pale skin and round eyes in the manga, but then so do Chi Chi and Yamcha, who are being portrayed by Asian actors with no racial complaints from fans. Making Goku white just seems to fall in line with Hollywood's tendency to shaft minorities for leading parts.

Personally, I don't care much about the race debate. I just think Fox could've saved themselves a whole lot of trouble by casting an Asian or Eurasian man as the star.

Fair enough. These reasons have been debated to and fro ad nauseam now so I'll refrain from repeating them too much. But the point is, either way they went, the producers were bound to annoy some fans and the debate would happen anyway. Going the 'white' way simply gave them more choices (in terms of actors) and possibly access to better talent (Some consider Chatwin a fairly capable actor. Likewise, there are fewer recognizable Asian actors in Hollywood).

Saiyan - y = asian

So, a Saiyan is only Asian as long as you don't ask 'y'. :woot:

Last edited:
the movie is 2 months away and we're still talking about the race?why is it so important anyways?

the movie is 2 months away and we're still talking about the race?why is it so important anyways?

There isn't much to talk about. Start advertizing this Fox! :cmad: Give us viral marketing, clips, commercials, anything!

It is a world where “future and past become one,” says Wong, and where “race plays no significant role.”

It's a shame then, because I always thought Bulma should have been Asian whereas Roshi, Gohan, Chi Chi & Yamcha should have been white. :p

No, not clearly. Matter of opinion. I always figured he was Asian too, although his hazel eyes open that to interpretation.
zuko.jpg

Not exactly Bulma's baby blues but...
I can't beleive Jesse McCartney will be playing him... he obviously looks asian... but back on topic Goku unlike Zuko doesn't have the stand out Asian feauture in which Zuko does, especially the eyes (not horribly slanted to his temples, but you can tell he's Asian)... I mean really, would anyone know Static Shock was black if he were Zuko's skin color and was draw with thin lips and a narrow nose... no, IMO I don't think just because an Asian artist, or an Asian theme surrounds it, the character should be automatically assumed to be genetically Asian

all in all I still think Goku should've been played by a mixed or moreso racially ambiguous actor so that he'd appear more alien

Jesse McCartney has been replaced by Dev Patel =p

I thought of something recently.

A lot of people bring up that Goku shouldn't be White, but Asian. And that they'd never have an Asian Superman. But Dean Cain is part Japanese sooooo :D

A lot of people bring up that Goku shouldn't be White, but Asian. And that they'd never have an Asian Superman. But Dean Cain is part Japanese sooooo :D

and he's been considered the worst Superman. of course, that has nothing to do with Dean Cain being part Japanese.....but then again, Dean Cain doesn't look like a typical Japanese man. he's more racially ambiguous....he's not OBVIOUSLY Asian.

and he's been considered the worst Superman. of course, that has nothing to do with Dean Cain being part Japanese.....but then again, Dean Cain doesn't look like a typical Japanese man. he's more racially ambiguous....he's not OBVIOUSLY Asian.

Is he really considered that? I liked him :csad:. Well Chatwin isn't obviously white. Well he sort of is I guess, but he has really cartoonish features. I won't say he looks Asian, but he looks like an anime character.

According to imdb, Cain is only 25% Japanese. The rest of him is Welsh, Irish, and French-Canadian. That's sufficient to play a white character, IMO.

Is he really considered that? I liked him :csad:. Well Chatwin isn't obviously white. Well he sort of is I guess, but he has really cartoonish features. I won't say he looks Asian, but he looks like an anime character.

I always figured that was why he was cast.

who cares... jeez now you're bringing demographics into a simple matter of anime character

Isn't Cain more half Japanese and half European? Bah, damn this racial pie chart.

But I agree Rachel, I'm sure that's why he was cast as well. It's a unique look.

Isn't Cain more half Japanese and half European? Bah, damn this racial pie chart.

If he's 25% Japanese then he had a Japanese grandparent. Wait, here's a thought: Cain should've been Goku!!! :wow:

IMO this is more racially ambiguous... and in terms of looks would make a good Dragonball Goku, where he was a child, he appears youthful innocent and carefree...

he looks generally European, yet has an Asian and even Spanish undertone to him

and personally I always thought Chatwin was a bit old for Dragonball Goku (even though he's not always small most people remember the tiny Goku most) and is why so many people were confusing it with DBZ

Last edited:
IMO this is more racially ambiguous... and in terms of looks would make a good Dragonball Goku, where he was a child, he appears youthful innocent and carefree...

he looks generally European, yet has an Asian and even Spanish undertone to him

and personally I always thought Chatwin was a bit old for Dragonball Goku (even though he's not always small most people remember the tiny Goku most) and is why so many people were confusing it with DBZ

Honestly, I would like the film a lot less if Goku were a child.

Me too. I mean, I know a lot of people are pissy about him being in High school and all, but I'd rather they not pull an Anakin Skywalker and waste the first of allegedly 3 films with a snotty kid just to recast him when part 2 roles around. Teen Goku segues better into a follow up.

Me too. I mean, I know a lot of people are pissy about him being in High school and all, but I'd rather they not pull an Anakin Skywalker and waste the first of allegedly 3 films with a snotty kid just to recast him when part 2 roles around. Teen Goku segues better into a follow up.

Yep, and I would've been even happier of they'd nixed the whole high school storyline and just made Goku a teenager.

I think I would too. Not saying it ruins the movie for me but the whole semi-feral isolationist would have been more interesting to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"