Iron Man Sequels The Riri Williams/IronHeart thread

Silvermoth

Krakoan native
Reaction score
IMG_3610.jpg

Now that RDJ is probably reaching the end of his contract, who would you like to see play Riri? I could see Stefanee Martin from the Getdown in the role

IMG_3612.jpg

Nope, I like her. Some people don't like her for some reason *cough* race *cough, cough* gender *cough*

For some people it's definitely the major reason why they don't like her

Hell NO to Riri Williams. Put her in an Avengers spin-off or something, leave the main movies and the main Avengers movies for Tony.

It's nonsensical to think she should be on the big screen before Tony faces off with the real Mandarin, or with characters like Crimson Dynamo, Titanium Man, Madame Masque, Ghost, Ultimo, Fin Fang Foom.

What, just give her the movies and those bad guys? Sorry she hasn't earned it yet and doesn't deserve it.

Well I mean I think it would be a fantastic idea for them to either kill off or retire Iron Man in the movies and let the mantle be taken over by Ironheart. There's so many possibilites here.

Iron Man could follow Generations storyline and become Earth's sorcerer supreme, or he could turn into his AI form, or even die completely.

I'd be cool with it, based on what I know of the character. Tony Stark looks like he's going out in some form or fashion in one of these next two Avengers films anyway; it doesn't at all seem beyond him to have made some sort of A.I. version of his own consciousness or some similar thing, although Peter Parker has sort of taken Riri's spot as Stark protégé.

(Plus, now that Shuri exists as she does, I'm sure introducing Riri more or less as is from the comics would inspire a wave of "SJW" complaints over having two super-smart teenage black girl engineers in the same movie universe.)

I'm not all certain, but I think the end of Iron Man 3 was hinting that kid in the garage will one day be the next Iron Man.

The sociopath as the next Ironman? No thanks. Unless they can make her personality nothing like the comics, I'd rather watch Pepper as Rescue continue Tony's work. But judging by Captain Marvel, they will keep her exactly like the comics, and continue to call people who don't like her trolls.

If the character shows up within the next few years, I would imagine that Marsai Martin from black-ish would be a candidate for the role. She's already in the Disney family, and seems like an ideal fit to me:

MM.jpg

She's probably just gonna be a secondary character if/when she does show up, likely in the same way that a lot of Peter's classmates are, i.e. she exists and might play a role in the story but will never get superpowers/special tech.

Marsai Martin seems like a more likely choice now that her star is rising, although the character in the comics is modeled on Skai Jackson so it'd seem more fitting to be her if Marvel brings Riri in within the next five years or so.

Think you need to leave Iron Man for a while.

Nobody's coming close to RDJ's performance in the role and from what little I have seen online she's not really that popular.

Honestly if you really want someone to take up the mantle again i'd just say give it to Shuri she makes the most logical sense to me in terms of characters we already have. She would already sort of fit the bill with her tech skills and could sport a Vibranium infused Iron Man suit.

At least you know people like Shuri where as Riri seems to be a marmite sort of character not something you really want to risk with one of your most marketable characters.

Think you need to leave Iron Man for a while.

Nobody's coming close to RDJ's performance in the role and from what little I have seen online she's not really that popular.

Honestly if you really want someone to take up the mantle again i'd just say give it to Shuri she makes the most logical sense to me in terms of characters we already have. She would already sort of fit the bill with her tech skills and could sport a Vibranium infused Iron Man suit.

At least you know people like Shuri where as Riri seems to be a marmite sort of character not something you really want to risk with one of your most marketable characters.
No. Cast a different black actress. There's not enough black actresses in the MCU with leading roles outside of Wakanda. There isn't even a leading black actress headlining a movie.

They can pull it off but they really need to find someone with charisma. As of now, I don’t see anyone with the personality and screen presence that can fill 1/4 of RDJ’s shoes.

No. She's horrendous in the comics (to me) and unless they give an actually interesting personality, story or straight up reinvent her, I'm 100% against it.
Being black or a girl has nothing to do with it when her character as a whole is a trashpile. Again, imo.

Also I swear if they characterise her like they did Shuri I will scream, because I can't stand the 'annoying little sister' trope.

Having read her solo series by Eve L. Ewing, I'd say yes- absolutely. A lot of the complaints I've seen leveled against Riri are exaggerated, blown out of proportion and don't really hold up under a critical eye (Riri being a "Mary Sue" when throughout both of her runs- she stumbled frequently, made countless mistakes and almost got herself killed. She was a kid in over her head and she earned every victory through strife, and trial & error just like Stark did. In fact, she goes through many of the same stages Stark himself)

I mean, I can wager to guess the true reason why so many have a problem with her. The moment she was revealed in 2016, with no context or real info to her character (before they could "justify" their disdain), she was targeted with (racial) backlash simply for existing, just like Miles Morales was in 2011 (Oh yes, I remember). So it seems some people already had their minds made up in regards to how they felt about her before she even offically "took over" from Stark in the comics.

And now I've seen some people want to erase Riri altogether with Morgan- who at this point, is only 5 years old. It's not hard to figure out.

But that's besides the point. Williams has the potential to be a great character in the MCU with the legacy of Stark resting on her shoulders. She has a the potential to be very inspirational figure for millions of black/poc kids living in the inner city. You see, Riri brings a different, more ground-level perspective to the MCU. Riri comes from the heart of Chicago, where she and her mother struggled everyday living under the death grip that gang violence and drugs had over her neighborhood. She lost both her best friend and her stepfather to a drive-by-shooting. Riri rose above her situation and became something great. Iron Man is a character a lot of kids have grown up with over the last decade, and to have someone take up and become a part that legacy with Iron Heart- coming from a background that so many kids living in this country can relate to right now, would be hugely inspirational and mean so much to millions of people living in the same conditions that Riri comes from. Black girls growing up in "the hood" especially, who don't have many of the same opportunities.

That's what superheroes are supposed to do, they are supposed to inspire people. It shouldn't matter where you come from or who you are, you can be a force for greatness just the same. That's what Riri is would be in the MCU. So I say yes, bring her in.

Having read her solo series by Eve L. Ewing, I'd say yes- absolutely. A lot of the complaints I've seen leveled against Riri are exaggerated, blown out of proportion and don't really hold up under a critical eye (Riri being a "Mary Sue" when throughout both of her runs- she stumbled frequently, made countless mistakes and almost got herself killed. She was a kid in over her head and she earned every victory through strife, and trial & error just like Stark did. In fact, she goes through many of the same stages Stark himself)

I mean, I can wager to guess the true reason why so many have a problem with her. The moment she was revealed in 2016, with no context or real info to her character (before they could "justify" their disdain), she was targeted with (racial) backlash simply for existing, just like Miles Morales was in 2011 (Oh yes, I remember). So it seems some people already had their minds made up in regards to how they felt about her before she even offically "took over" from Stark in the comics.

And now I've seen some people want to erase Riri altogether with Morgan- who at this point, is only 5 years old. It's not hard to figure out.

But that's besides the point. Williams has the potential to be a great character in the MCU with the legacy of Stark resting on her shoulders. She has a the potential to be very inspirational figure for millions of black/poc kids living in the inner city. You see, Riri brings a different, more ground-level perspective to the MCU. Riri comes from the heart of Chicago, where she and her mother struggled everyday living under the death grip that gang violence and drugs had over her neighborhood. She lost both her best friend and her stepfather to a drive-by-shooting. Riri rose above her situation and became something great. Iron Man is a character a lot of kids have grown up with over the last decade, and to have someone take up and become a part that legacy with Iron Heart- coming from a background that so many kids living in this country can relate to right now, would be hugely inspirational and mean so much to millions of people living in the same conditions that Riri comes from. Black girls growing up in "the hood" especially, who don't have many of the same opportunities.

That's what superheroes are supposed to do, they are supposed to inspire people. It shouldn't matter where you come from or who you are, you can be a force for greatness just the same. That's what Riri is would be in the MCU. So I say yes, bring her in.

She certainly has potential for the movies, but at this point, getting anybody to like/be interested in her (including me) is near impossible. If they introduced her as they did in the comics, it's definitely not going to go down well with fans.

I think they really did her badly in the comics, because they had a lot of potential to do something amazing with her in the Invincible Iron Man issues, with her growing up without a dad, losing her best friend a horrible way and all that jazz. However, the way they characterised made all that irrelevant.

You may think that a lot of the complaints against Riri is exaggerated, but I disagree. Some, yes, definitely, but others, like how she acts more like a villain than a hero, that she seems to believe she can do no wrong until she gets beaten by Thanos, how she's self-centered and all that, I don't think are exaggerated at all. Having read the comics, she definitely gives off antagonistic vibes to me.

Her new series, 'Ironheart', I would consider a solid, decent comic, maybe a bit boring at times. Although looking at the sales, it seems people aren't interested. I gave them a try, and it wasn't my thing.

She certainly has potential for the movies, but at this point, getting anybody to like/be interested in her (including me) is near impossible. If they introduced her as they did in the comics, it's definitely not going to go down well with fans.
It's not near impossible. There are people who like Willaims as a character. A relatively small group of comic fans who despise her are not going to translate to the general audience who may love her. General audiences love Carol Danvers and the same type of people who hate Riri Williams, also hate Captain Marvel. You never know...

I think they really did her badly in the comics, because they had a lot of potential to do something amazing with her in the Invincible Iron Man issues, with her growing up without a dad, losing her best friend a horrible way and all that jazz. However, the way they characterised made all that irrelevant.
It wasn't irrelevant? Riri struggles with survivor's guilt on a frequent basis. She uses this pain to push herself forward in her darkest moments. Her tragic past very much played a part in molding the young lady she became

You may think that a lot of the complaints against Riri is exaggerated, but I disagree. Some, yes, definitely, but others, like how she acts more like a villain than a hero, that she seems to believe she can do no wrong until she gets beaten by Thanos, how she's self-centered and all that, I don't think are exaggerated at all. Having read the comics, she definitely gives off antagonistic vibes to me.

Yes, pure selfishness; the epitome of villainy
IMG_77q8za.jpg IMG_-xf302x.jpg IMG_-icqibe.jpg

The reality is, Riri has an ego and a "I'm smarter than you" complex because she *is. This is accounted for in the story itself. Riri skipped grades and rapidly advanced through K-12 education. Her being a child prodigy alienated teachers and students alike and this made her an outcast.

This is really no different from Tony Stark growing up as a child genius. The only difference is that Stark, whose father was a billionare- grew up in a sheltered environment, while Riri grew up in the inner city within a bad neighborhood and underfunded schools to account for it. So Riri's intelligence was not allowed the ample room to grow in her environment and this caused her frustration. She felt like nobody could understand her.

But Riri is still a hero, she saves lives and cares about people. She still wants to make the world a better place. So, she has an ego? It's not like dozens of other characters don't exhibit the same traits and never get flack for it. She is not a "Mary Sue", she has plenty of flaws and challenges that she herself acknowledges.

Her new series, 'Ironheart', I would consider a solid, decent comic, maybe a bit boring at times. Although looking at the sales, it seems people aren't interested. I gave them a try, and it wasn't my thing.

Well, it's a good thing Marvel Studios doesn't measure a character's worth based on sales. Otherwise, the MCU would not be where it today

Last edited:
It's not near impossible. There are people who like Willaims as a character. A relatively small group of comic fans who despise her are not going to translate to the general audience who may love her. General audiences love Carol Danvers and the same type of people who hate Riri Williams, also hate Captain Marvel. You never know...

It wasn't irrelevant? Riri struggles with survivor's guilt on a frequent basis. She uses this pain to push herself forward in her darkest moments. Her tragic past very much played a part in molding the young lady she became

Yes, pure selfishness; the epitome of villainy

The reality is, Riri has an ego and a "I'm smarter than you" complex because she *is. This is accounted for in the story itself. Riri skipped grades and rapidly advanced through K-12 education. Her being a child prodigy alienated teachers and students alike and this made her an outcast.

This is really no different from Tony Stark growing up as a child genius. The only difference is that Stark, whose father was a billionare- grew up in a sheltered environment, while Riri grew up in the inner city within a bad neighborhood and underfunded schools to account for it. So Riri's intelligence was not allowed the ample room to grow in her environment and this caused her frustration. She felt like nobody could understand her.

But Riri is still a hero, she saves lives and cares about people. She still wants to make the world a better place. So, she has an ego? It's not like dozens of other characters don't exhibit the same traits and never get flack for it. She is not a "Mary Sue", she has plenty of flaws and challenges that she herself acknowledges.

Well, it's a good thing Marvel Studios doesn't measure a character's worth based on sales. Otherwise, the MCU would not be where it today

Having an ego has made many characters be villainous, including Tony Stark. An ego on it's own isn't the problem, it's the actions that she does that are the issue.

For the record, I don't even like Tony Stark (or most of the Avengers characters) in the comics, so it's not a case of 'I like one over the other, how dare they change things'.

Look, clearly you like her, and it seems that I dislike her for the reasons you like her. She's just not my cup of tea when it comes to a character, and I wished they had done her differently, because the way she was introduced clearly didn't do it for a lot of people. This includes online and offline people I have talked to.

I prefer her in her Ironheart series, like I said, I think she's way better written and actually likeable as a character.

I WANT her to be good, and if the MCU was to do her, I'd want her to be her own character, not just 'HI I'M THE NEW, BETTER AND IMPROVED IRON MAN, MOVE OVER' like how Marvel seemed to be advertise her as being.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"