The Rise of Skywalker The Rise of Skywalker... what does the title mean?

It could be plagueis creating anakin. Cheating death, creating rey. Being snoke, coming back from dead.

Rey and kylo being the result of his experiments, as was luke and anakin. Even leia.

I have a theory.

I think I read somewhere that in one of the recent books in the new canon, certain force sensitive individuals who can navigate through space are referred to as “skywalkers”, implying that it’s also a title and not just a name.

At the end of “The Last Jedi”, it is implied with “broom boy” the Force is available to all people throughout the galaxy, and not just to people of special bloodlines.

Going by the title of this film, “Skywalker” may refer to the rise of a new type of force sensitive individual, not Jedi or Sith, but a balancing of the two into a complete and whole force user, one with a new philosophy and practice of the Force.

Just my .02.
My thoughts exactly. And it fits with the titling of the films that wrap up the trilogy, which previously pointed to a Force user.

Revenge, Return, Rise

Sith, Jedi, Skywalker.

This trilogy has been primarily about exploring the nature of the Force, so it makes sense that a new type of practitioner of the Force would develop or "rise", seemingly from a combination of dark and light sides.

Many (critics and fans) hated slapping the Solo surname on Han in the Solo movie and it's lame if they just doing that to everybody with Skywalker.

Skywalker is a family's name, not a term like Jedi or Sith.

if they go the later route, that would be so incredibly stupid, imo.

if that was the case, the title would be "the Rise of The Skywalkers."

I think it foreshadows the ultimate ending the prophecy. If this movie's job is closing the Skywalker arc, then it needs to go back to the heart of Son of the Suns prophecy, and what it meant exactly. I think we'll finally get closure on what the Skywalker legacy really is. I imagine it'll be a fundamental re-readiing with yeah.... Rey somehow as a stand in as a Skywalker. Maybe not, but that's my guess.

Thrawn Alliances established that the Chiss refer to their Force Sensitives by a term that, when translated into Basic means “Sky Walker”. I could see the end of this film making “Skywalker” a title that Rey takes up and perhaps the future Jedi refer to themselves as. I’d also think it’ll have a dual meaning ala Return of the Jedi, and partially refer to Kylo finding some kind of redemption.

I don't want Ben to be redeemed. I want that ass to die, and Die Hard!

As for the name, a big part of me still hopes that Rey is a decedent of Luke or Leia, but I think I could still be happy if she just assumed the Skywalker name at the end.

Thrawn Alliances established that the Chiss refer to their Force Sensitives by a term that, when translated into Basic means “Sky Walker”. I could see the end of this film making “Skywalker” a title that Rey takes up and perhaps the future Jedi refer to themselves as. I’d also think it’ll have a dual meaning ala Return of the Jedi, and partially refer to Kylo finding some kind of redemption.
Yep, in total agreement. It was my first thought after seeing the title and it fits a lot of different ways.

I actually dig the title! Sure, "Rise" is generic but I like the symmetry it creates with the three threquel films.

Revenge of the Sith
Return of the Jedi
The Rise of Skywalker

And yeah, this is the end of the Skywalker saga. Feels like an appropriate time to finally namedrop that in the title.

As to who it refers to? I think that may be JJ's biggest mystery box of them all. Can't wait to find out!

If there rumors about C-3PO's erased memories are in play in some way then I think this will go all the way back to the beginning. Back to the time when the protocol droid was first built. Back to Shmi. Back to the immaculate conception of the boy from nowhere with unremarkable parentage who became the most powerful Jedi Knight the order had ever known, only to fall to fear and manipulation at the hands of the last Dark Lord of the Sith. Now we have Rey... Another child from nowhere who is of unremarkable parentage whose power in the force equals that of Ben Solo, also of the Skywalker lineage. I think the parallels are there to be seen.

The question of Anakin's origin has never been officially stated in a film, and the films are the highest order of canon at this point. So... I don't think we need anything like secret marriages, DNA cloning or the like... This is about the power of the Force. Rey is not a Skywalker by blood or a Palpatine I think. She will be what she chooses to be... I think the term "From A Certain Point Of View" will be heard once more. And I think this is what we'll get in terms of what the title means because that brings us back to Shmi... Where did SHE get the name? Kind of an interesting name for a slave? Did she come from a line of Skywalkers? Or... Did this woman name herself that as way to spite her own existence as a person in bondage, to give herself the gift of hope under terrible circumstances?

USA Today - John Boyega has thoughts about 'The Rise of Skywalker' title: 'I've got questions, man'

John Boyega: “I've got questions, man. I got questions. I thought it was going to be ‘Star Wars: Heirs to the Force.’ For some reason I just had that title in my head, that it would be something along those lines.” “This is just very specific: ‘Rise of Skywalker.’ And I don't know what it actually means. Bearing in mind that I’m a part of it, but there were certain changes to the script while we're filming and I'm not in a lot of the scenes that Rey has with Kylo Ren. So my curiosity just hit the roof.”

J. J. Abrams: “[I won't be revealing anything about the title] breaching the agreement that we have to preserve the fun for fans. But I will say I think it is the right title.”

Kathleen Kennedy: “[I really feel that the title The Rise of Skywalker] really draws from all the previous films in a way, even though we're focused on new characters in the mythology. It really is a perfect combination of what's come before and where we are today.”

See also: JJ Abrams is Writing and Directing Episode IX

I think it all kinda connects to Anakin and reveals Palpatine as the puppet master behind it all...hopefully because that direction masks that they had no big plan/mapped out structure for the new trilogy

It makes me think of the other most popular (BEST) title with Rise in it: The Dark Knight Rises.

As far as we know, Rey doesn't have a last name. She's going to take Skywalker as her own.

Many (critics and fans) hated slapping the Solo surname on Han in the Solo movie and it's lame if they just doing that to everybody with Skywalker.

This, so much this. I actually liked the Solo movie but that moment was so dumb. Why couldn’t his name have just been Solo? Why did they need to have him make it up just because he’s alone? So stupid.

I have a theory.

I think I read somewhere that in one of the recent books in the new canon, certain force sensitive individuals who can navigate through space are referred to as “skywalkers”, implying that it’s also a title and not just a name.

At the end of “The Last Jedi”, it is implied with “broom boy” the Force is available to all people throughout the galaxy, and not just to people of special bloodlines.

Going by the title of this film, “Skywalker” may refer to the rise of a new type of force sensitive individual, not Jedi or Sith, but a balancing of the two into a complete and whole force user, one with a new philosophy and practice of the Force.

Just my .02.
How about the theory that Skywalker doesn't refer to anyone of the Skywalker clan but it's the name of a new order/ army?
Using Skywalker to describe a group of people that aren't family is really stupid, but I can see them doing this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"