The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

All-Star Marvel is already over? Strange, season 1 seemed to be a big success, no plans to relauch it ?

It's been over for awhile. If there were plans for a relaunch, I'm sure they'd be more proactive.

I had plans for a relaunch, but the 'Nuff Said Marvel RPG kinda beat me to the punch.

Anyone else think that with the new found popularity of playing table-top RPGs with each other over Skype, that it may somehow be, or at least hold the key to the Basement's future?

I think it could make for a good off-shoot of the Basement community.

It could also help with the games.

Because why does it have to be just table-top. Why can't (some) players get together at the same time and write posts? Some of my favorite posting sessions were 'live'.

Are RPGs here dead?

I would like to suggest another kind of RPG, seeing some of the earliest games here i see they have evolved a lot, which may also make things more difficult to newer players. So what about going back to basics? Trying a game that follows the old formula and doesn't require the players to fill an aplication, and anybody can pick a character and write it as long as he doesn't contradict what other players wrote.

I think something like this could bring in new players and make the RPG section more active

Last edited:
Then am i free to make a looser RPG like the old ones?

I think the RPGs should be revived some way, but this time we should be more careful and not try to turn every single thing into an RPG. A single Marvel, DC or even Marvel vs DC type of RPG would be suiting enough, possibly making the registration simpler, if there is indeed done any type of registration for the timebeing.

Not sure i would make a good poster, but i would like to see this again, even if only to look at people reinterperting certain characters like Iron Man and Spider-Man. Woudn't mind helping maintain the RPG. If nobody wants a new RPG on the site, then i don't see the point of this section still being around.

I agree with that, I don't know/think I could run a game like as a GM, but I'd love to RP here on the Hype again.

Alright, do you think registrations should be used for the begining? Maybe if they weren't obligatory, then some new writers could be tempted to participate.

Only reason I like registration is its a nice way to keep stuff a little reasonable. Maybe do something real simple or easy as registratio. So sorry it took me this long to reply, I didnt ever see this thread in my user CP

No problem, i actually forgot this section for a while. DO you think it should be a Marvel, a DC or a Marvel vs DC game?

Personally I'd be more psyched for a Marvel game cause I know Marvel better than DC, but I love both of them. But I'm iffy on Crossover games because a lot of DC guys seem OP compared to Marvel.

I wanna work on something with tabletop style mechanics on the board? Anyone done that before?

Well, for starters, I'm thinking of having something with a setting that is all the way fleshed out, with characters built with a GURPS style point system (with upgrades awarded along the way), and NPCs directed and controlled by the GM. I'd have 'quests' for the players, who can decide who they collaborate with amongst themselves. Sorry for the slow response, but I have a somewhat distinct concept in mind and I been busy.

I'm tossing around the idea or relocating the CAH game back to this board. I have a decent group on the new site, but that site is less than stable these last few weeks. So who knows

While reinvention is great, Ive noticed that Year One and Ultimate things are the most common games round here. I saw that there was one where Dc mantles passed onto the next gen, but has anyone tried making a game where the PCs are largely the same, but OCs are heavily featured as a supporting cast? I think this would be cool in Year 10 or Andy's Icons game.

Ive never liked it when entirely new characters are PCs in a canon world without prior introduction. Adding supporting charcters is basically what real comic writers do. What do you guys think?

You know, I think about that from time to time. Not as a game concept, but just as an idea. I have this weird aversion to introducing characters. Even if it's just some largely insignificant supporting character, I'll spend hours poring over ComicVine or the Marvel/DC wikias looking for some existing character to fill the slot. Part of it is because... well... I'm a total geek, and I actually think it's fun to do that. And I get to learn a lot about smaller characters that way. But another part is because I really just don't feel comfortable mixing my own creations with established universes, and I could see how allowing them would be a very slippery slope. But you're right. Comic writers get to do it all the time, so why don't we? Interesting to ponder.

I also have a bit of an aversion to it.

I think what it boils down to for me is that I feel like mixing original creations into an established universe would perhaps disincentivize people from picking up characters that have previously been played. Even in recreation games I (as much as I shouldn't) shudder a little when characters stray too far from the spirit of the character we know them as. So bringing in characters that I've created? It seems like a surefire way to make it more difficult for people to play a character after you.

Maybe I overthink it a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"