The SHH! Guide to Free Powerful Software!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malice

BMFH
Reaction score
As always, I am trying to provide everyone here with support on the best applications that you can get, for zero bucks. So this means, all the software, is fully functional with no money being spent. These are not Shareware apps, completely free.

This list is being compiled in groups, depending on functionality.
(These are of course for the Windows Operating system)

AntiVirus
NOTE: I plead with you, if you do not have antivirus software on your computer, please, immediately download one of the following FREE AntiVirus software applications for your computer. Help make the net safer. Remember, these free antivirus applications tend NOT to be as good as commercial applications, so you might want to spend the money and get a new antivirus application once every 2 years.
AVG AntiVirus
AntiVir Personal Edition
avast! 4 Home Download

Productivity
OpenOffice - This is your replacement for Microsoft office applications of Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Draw (I think MS's graphics drawing program is called Draw....not sure). This software is was designed to also open Microsoft Documents. Unfortunately, there is not a Microsoft Access equivalent on the net somewhere.

Web Browser
FireFox - This simply in my opinion is the best browser on the market to date. Using its highly secure design, its definately more secure than Microsoft's internet explorer it saves you the hassle of having to constantly scan for Spyware on your computer. its packed with features that are almost the standard now. Tabbed-Browsing is my personal favorite. Firefox is designed by group of volunteers, not by a profiteering company. The next best part about the browser, are the extensions, or plugins. These are additional programs that can be installed in the browser, designed by fans of the browser, that extend its functionality. This is great.
Opera - Another great browser. This is designed by a Swedish company that built it from the ground up. It uses tabbed browsing as well.

Email Clients
Thunderbird - This is a great new application that I have recently started to use instead of Outlook. It has great JUNK mail filters that learn and adapt to your tastes. It handles both POP and IMAP mail connections quite well.
Eudora - This is an oldie but goodie. Still functions perfectly, but many are not to happy about the interface.

Text Editors
Crimson Editor - This is a GREAT NOTEPAD alternative. I install this immediately uppon building any new computer. Its tiny (800Kb) and have so many different functions its hard to explain.

FTP Clients
FileZilla - One of the most powerful FTP clients known. Its only two years old and keeps getting better and better. Can perform SFTP and numerous other functions.

Graphics Viewer
IrfanView - In my opinion, the DeFacto Image Viewer. It can perform so low powered edits, like cropping and things like that but this is great for viewing a folder of images. You can randomly sort and view them. Unbelieveable amount of configurations. Opens any graphics format available, and even has plugins to play music and video as well.

Graphics Editor
GIMP - This is the free Photoshop substitute.
Pixia

Music Player
WinAMP - This is pretty much the defacto MP3 (music) player for windows. When you get the LIGHT version, (that doesnt play video and the like) this is an extremely small program, and its very inobtrusive to your system even when playing.
iTunes - This is a good media player that apple produces.

Video Player Alternatives and Codecs
K-Lite Codec Pack - A few versions exist, the lite pack and the Mega Pack. The Mega pack includes the media alternatives listed below as well, besides almost every Codec known to man and Media Player Classic below is included.
Media Player Classic
QuickTime Alternative
Real Alternative

Video Editors
VirtualDub

SpyWare
AdAware - Using this in combination with Spybot Search and Destroy will prety much eliminate the Spyware issue.
Spybot Search and Destroy - Using this in combination with AdAware will prety much eliminate the Spyware issue.

Instant Messager
Trillian - IMO, the best free instant messager client. Granted, it doesnt use its own chat system, you can use Yahoo Instant Messenger, AOL Instant Messenger, MSN Messenger, and IRC with Trillian. It have a free version that is 100% functional, and a paid version, that really just gives you plugins.
GAIM - GAIM is just like Trillian, in its functionality.

Personal Firewalls
ZoneAlarm - This program almost single handedly invented the personal computer firewall. If you are concerned with security, install the free version. It will take some getting used to, once you get it configured, it trully is an asset.
Outpost Firewall - Agnitum Outpost is the first personal firewall for Windows developed with Open Architecture.
Sygate Personal Firewall
Kerio Personal Firewall

Telnet/SSH Clients
PuTTY - This is a wonderful little tool when needing to Securely telnet into resources.

PDF Maker
OpenOffice
CutePDF

Tax Filing
TaxAct

Windows Icon Graphics Creator
@Icon Sushi

Feel free to gimme examples of great software you guys have used.

Ad-Aware
With a weekly update/scan, you're computer will likely run up to twice as fast, especially if you've been using IE.

I see how this is... now that Mix's guide is buried. Malice can come out on top. >_< I won't let it happen! :mad:

If there's a free gif animator out there.... yeah, I'd love to download it. Especially if it's like, for Macs. Since I use a Mac....

Music Player - iTunes

I used to have Winamp, but when I bought my ipod and starting using this, I was blown away. To go with Apple tradition, it's very simple, yet sleek at the same time. Easy to use, the ability to go straight to the music store and buy music, watch music videos, and customize your music collection however you want it (artist, song, album, date, etc.). It can pretty much do anything.

Lookijng for more software to add people....

GIMP is like photoshop, just more complicated. Which is kinda scary if you ask me.

Updated a bit, trying to update quite a bit more

Anyone know of other applications that are completely free that fitg in the above categories or are in a category not listed?

added firewalls and antivirus software.

Included the Media Player alternatives and codecs.

Malice the free version of MusicMatch count? Its not as good as its upgrade but still cool :)

Hey Malice (or anyone) do you know of any free Dvd players for my pc? I brought a Dvd-rw today and i need a good player for it.

I will look into it, but I did a search at one point for free dvd software, and I didnt come up with much.

PowerPoint Viewer

This is a rare free application created by Microsoft.

The Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003 Viewer lets you view full-featured presentations created in PowerPoint 97 and later versions. The PowerPoint 2003 Viewer also supports opening password-protected Microsoft PowerPoint presentations.

Note You can view and print presentations, but you cannot edit them in the PowerPoint 2003 Viewer.

Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back