World "The Spectacular Spider-Man" Appreciation Thread (possible spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamerSlyRatchet

Sidekick
Reaction score
I figured since Ultimate, SM: TAS, and the 60's show got their own threads, as well as the old board being shot down, I would open up a thread for discussion, criticism, appreciation, speculation on what could have been, etc., about Spectacular.

To start up the thread, Greg Weisman has recently cleared up exactly what the legal situation was that led to its cancellation:

http://www.s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/search.php?qid=14223

I still love this show. It's how I got into Spider-Man to begin with. I'll admit that at first, it was mainly a "pass the time" show, but after awhile, I got into it. I would've loved to have seen more episodes, but I'm going to give Ultimate a chance.

I loved the fact that this show would introduce the villains well before their superpowered origin episode. Also, this show brought Gwen and George Stacy back into relevance (as no one had used them before). I didn't care for lion Kraven, but they did mention that they had plans for him, and those plans were connected to plans with John Jameson (Man Wolf?)

I also liked the fact that this show was bold enough to change the races of minor characters in order to make it more diverse. I was afraid when the show stared that Randy and Robbie were going to be the token black guys...and they're related! I was pleasantly surprised that we had a couple Asians, Latinos, blacks, and even Indian people in this show. With more people of color in the show it actually seems not forced at all and we don't have a "token".

It's a shame that the series had to end when it did, and on such a rough note as well (which seems to be a plague on Spidey shows). Peter dumped Liz to be with Gwen, but Gwen is guilt tripped into staying with Harry. Marvel must hate Roderick Kingsley though. He appears in this show, it gets cancelled...then in comics they kill him off for Phil Ulrich.

Agree about the ethnicity of certain characters, but who was Indian?

Knowing how some comic characters and writers work, that move will possibly be retconned into one of these:
Clone
Drug enhancing healing

I don't think it's a stretch to say this was the be the best Spider-man show ever. And looking at the new one, will remain the best Spider-man show for the foreseeable future.

Most comic book heroes have very white supporting casts due to their age. Though changing their ethnicities did result in some oddly named characters. Like WASPy "Liz Allan".

Wasn't too fond of the characters designs and I can see why they can be a turnoff for some people. But the animation was fantastic and the fights were specatacular(no pun intended). I'd say that's an even tradeoff. The first Sinister Six fight, the fight with Venom at the school, the four way opera house fight, and the fight with GG in the last episode are the best ones IMO.

But in the show's defense it's common knowledge that they only have so much money, and they had to make a decision to either put it into the character designs, or the action sequences, and I'm glad they wisely chose the latter. Wolverine & the X-men is a perfect example of a show that has pretty decent character design but is seriously lacking in the action animation department.

I loved the fact that this show would introduce the villains well before their superpowered origin episode.

Ditto. Especially on characters like Rhino and Shocker. Both whom not only didn't origin stories in the 90s cartoon, but the names of their alter egos were never even said.

I know some people didn't like them making Montana Shocker, I didn't mind myself as Shocker is a C-list villain and when Greg was asked about this I thought he made a good point. "Who is Herman Schultz? What do we know about him aside from that he robbed banks?"

Plus like Sandman and Rhino, it made Shocker a villain Spidey had been tangling with beforehand.

Last edited:
Most comic book heroes have very white supporting casts due to their age. Though changing their ethnicities did result in some oddly named characters. Like WASPy "Liz Allan".

Yeah, they pretty much said that Liz and Mark's father is white, I guess to explain the last name. They did have to change the last names of the Asian characters (Ned Leeds to Ned Lee, and Kenny "Kong" McFarlane to Kenny Kong) in order to have them match the minorities they changed them to.

Agree about the ethnicity of certain characters, but who was Indian?
Aaron and Miles Warren. (Peter's balding British accented high school teacher and his Americanized younger brother who dabbles in genetics). I had to ask on Ask Greg because they were clearly darker than the white characters on the show and had Brian George as their voice actor (who normally voices South Asian roles) Once you see it you can't unsee it.

I'm re-watching the show again. God I love it so.

Aaron and Miles Warren. (Peter's balding British accented high school teacher and his Americanized younger brother who dabbles in genetics). I had to ask on Ask Greg because they were clearly darker than the white characters on the show and had Brian George as their voice actor (who normally voices South Asian roles) Once you see it you can't unsee it.
Interesting to know, thanks

Yeah, they pretty much said that Liz and Mark's father is white, I guess to explain the last name. They did have to change the last names of the Asian characters (Ned Leeds to Ned Lee, and Kenny "Kong" McFarlane to Kenny Kong) in order to have them match the minorities they changed them to.

That's actually works, for the most part. Not sure how they'd pull off Warren as a South Asian name, but the others translate fairly well.

Only one response? Make that two and let the fiesta begin

D'aww, thanks!

So, I've been wondering: how was Emily Osborn going to be characterized. She was pretty quiet for the first two seasons, and according to Greg, Marina Sirtis was going to be cast as her for the third one. Considering her previous role as Demona, I'm guessing someone with a lot more backbone that we've seen. Maybe like a mafia wife, perhaps?

Reading through that Q and A session with Wiseman is depressing :csad: Sure, it makes complete sense, but it's still annoying that there wasn't another season. And I guess it means that there's no way for them to do what Buffy did and have a "season 3" comic series. And to rub salt in the wound is the fact that over here in the UK, in my area at least, it seems really hard to get any DVDs past volume 2 of series 1 :dry:

Reading through that Q and A session with Wiseman is depressing :csad: Sure, it makes complete sense, but it's still annoying that there wasn't another season. And I guess it means that there's no way for them to do what Buffy did and have a "season 3" comic series. And to rub salt in the wound is the fact that over here in the UK, in my area at least, it seems really hard to get any DVDs past volume 2 of series 1 :dry:

I have The Complete First Season on DVD (multiregion blu-ray player) and I have the 4 volumes that make up season 2.

HMV sells all 4 volumes, I saw them in there the other week

EDIT: http://hmv.com/hmvweb/simpleMultiSe...earchString=spectacular+spiderman&primaryID=0

D'aww, thanks!

So, I've been wondering: how was Emily Osborn going to be characterized. She was pretty quiet for the first two seasons, and according to Greg, Marina Sirtis was going to be cast as her for the third one. Considering her previous role as Demona, I'm guessing someone with a lot more backbone that we've seen. Maybe like a mafia wife, perhaps?

As far as parenting goes, she probably was going to be almost as bad as Norman...Although she did take a break from cutting her steak to buying Harry a car. I wonder if she was in on what her husband was doing... When Harry was supposed to be at his play we know where Norman was; however Emily didn't show up either...what was she doing? Harry's gonna have a messed up life no matter which parent he's stuck with...

You're welcome, Zeptron.

Yeah, you wouldn't believe how some people are still thinking that TSSM got canceled because they thought it was a bad show with not-so-appealing character designs.

I have the complete first season dvd and the individual season two dvds.

Still waiting for the complete second season DVD. Looks like we might not even get it at all.

I grew up on the 90s series, but SSM is definitely my fave. Just such a good show, getting a great balance between episodic plots and overall story arcs.

Particularly loved the way it built up characters like Eddie Brock and Norman Osborne before they eventually became villains.

I grew up on the 90s series, but SSM is definitely my fave. Just such a good show, getting a great balance between episodic plots and overall story arcs.

Particularly loved the way it built up characters like Eddie Brock and Norman Osborne before they eventually became villains.

Same here. I saw most of the 90s series through repeats on CBBC and stuff, and while it'd be stupid to deny that as a part of my childhood, and as such I'll always look at it fondly, but SSM does blow it out of the water in terms of... well, everything personally. It seems better written, better animated, has a visual style that I personally prefer, plus it's ongoing story arc didn't get as intense as the 90s show, which I view as a plus.

Great storytelling, and those two were written the best anyone ever did

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"