• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Comics The Spiderman Trade Paperbacks/HC Thread

Comics N' Toons

Viva La Revolucion!
Reaction score
Threads like this have been posted in the past, but as I don't see one here currently I am posting...

It is my hope that this will stick and become a collected stories recommendation thread (trades and HC's).

This should be used as a resource to guide new and casual Spidey fans on what books to purchase.

so Hypers, what are your favorite Spidey trades & graphic novels?

GO!

Everyone else is going to say Kraven's Last Hunt and the Night Gwen Stacy Died, so I'll go for the less obvious ones...

Hooky.

One of the first graphic novels, came out in the 80's. Not a collection, but a self-contained, beautifully drawn story. The most memorable thing about it was its awesome tag-line though: "The biggest mistake Peter Parker ever made was letting his Uncle Ben get shot. Playing hooky is a close second."

Or something like that.

Donald did you read Spider-Man: Drowned in Thunder? If so, is it worth a read? I saw it at my local library but I don't know if a visual character will work in a novel.

Donald did you read Spider-Man: Drowned in Thunder? If so, is it worth a read? I saw it at my local library but I don't know if a visual character will work in a novel.

Aloha,
Yes I have read Drowned in Thunder.If you have not read the novels before, this is one that will get your attention.Check out some of the reviews through my web site.
Spidey rule

Last edited:
im not very familiar with spiderman comics and i just picked up vol. 1 of jms run and the kurt busiek spiderman visionaries, any thoughts on these? im yet to read them.

im not very familiar with spiderman comics and i just picked up vol. 1 of jms run and the kurt busiek spiderman visionaries, any thoughts on these? im yet to read them.

Aloha,
Busiek's run will be Untold Tales of Spider-Man, one of my favorites simply because it fits seamlessly into Lee/Ditko continuity. JMS's first run should include Morlun and the 911 issue, many readers liked JMS's earliest works.
Spidey rules

Is Essential Spider-Man vol. 9 out? what about Spectacular vol 4?

I really like Mark Millar's run on MK: Spider-Man that is broken into three trades

i just recently picked up the death of jean dewolfee and ive enjoyed it as a good little story....if you havent read it...i say check it out....im reading the death of the stacys now (of course im probably gonna love it)

of course the best stories ive read so far are Spider-Man The Saga of the Alien Costume....As a Venom fan I enjoy Spider-Man vs Venom...

Last edited:
hmmm.....there's a lot here so I'll put up some recent stuff that I've loved:

Spider-Man Reign. Alternate future spider-man comes back after MJ's death. Now this isn't for everyone, but I ****ing loved it. One of the saddest, most brutal Spider-tales ever that really hit on the character's responsibilities, selflessness and that effect on others. People often ask what's the difference between this and the dark knight returns. Batman's always batman in batman, he wins even when he losses. The outcome of that was always definate. In this peter comes back and he knows he'll die. The man sacrifices himself to save others and in doing so he's rewarded in kind. This isn't about a hero just saving the day, it's the effect that hero has on others. Plus the art is great, best version of venom (and character understanding) ever ever ever. And there's one part of this book that if you don't cry, you're just a monster.

Spider-Man/Doc Ock Year One: Want to know why doc ock is one of the all time best villians? Read this. Great art, amazing characterizations, ock is at the same time terrifing, sad, sympathetic and insane. The end also sets up their rivalry better than anything I've read to date.

The Evil that Men Do: a very delayed but pretty good limited series done by Kevin Smith. It's a pretty good portrayal of felicia hardy but the main draw is the guests stars and spider-man talking. They have a real friendship that's often missed in spider-man tales.

I'm with Stupid: Not sure if this is trade yet but it should be. Very funny oddball tale about the friendship between pete and the human torch. The art is old school the tales are old school but surprisingly funny and touching. This is slott at some of his best.

hmmm.....there's a lot here so I'll put up some recent stuff that I've loved:

Spider-Man Reign. Alternate future spider-man comes back after MJ's death. Now this isn't for everyone, but I ****ing loved it. One of the saddest, most brutal Spider-tales ever that really hit on the character's responsibilities, selflessness and that effect on others. People often ask what's the difference between this and the dark knight returns. Batman's always batman in batman, he wins even when he losses. The outcome of that was always definate. In this peter comes back and he knows he'll die. The man sacrifices himself to save others and in doing so he's rewarded in kind. This isn't about a hero just saving the day, it's the effect that hero has on others. Plus the art is great, best version of venom (and character understanding) ever ever ever. And there's one part of this book that if you don't cry, you're just a monster.

Spider-Man/Doc Ock Year One: Want to know why doc ock is one of the all time best villians? Read this. Great art, amazing characterizations, ock is at the same time terrifing, sad, sympathetic and insane. The end also sets up their rivalry better than anything I've read to date.

The Evil that Men Do: a very delayed but pretty good limited series done by Kevin Smith. It's a pretty good portrayal of felicia hardy but the main draw is the guests stars and spider-man talking. They have a real friendship that's often missed in spider-man tales.

I'm with Stupid: Not sure if this is trade yet but it should be. Very funny oddball tale about the friendship between pete and the human torch. The art is old school the tales are old school but surprisingly funny and touching. This is slott at some of his best.
saw reign at booksamillion...now i might pick it up forreal since the first 5 pages were interesting....i gotta pick up the doc ock year one...sounds amazing

It's a brutal story just to warn you with a throughly insane, life beat him down to bad, peter parker. But the concepts in it, I feel, hit to the center of the character perfectly. Plus the hypno hustler is in it. (and to end the confusion, the guy in the first issue? that's the kingpin)

The doc ock stuff is pretty great, show's the parallels with octavius and parker also makes otto seem a lot more human. Also rather than pete and octavius just laying into it in a fight it plays out like a fight between superhuman scientists with each inventing stuff to combat the other. Otto uses hippies.

It's a brutal story just to warn you with a throughly insane, life beat him down to bad, peter parker. But the concepts in it, I feel, hit to the center of the character perfectly. Plus the hypno hustler is in it. (and to end the confusion, the guy in the first issue? that's the kingpin)

The doc ock stuff is pretty great, show's the parallels with octavius and parker also makes otto seem a lot more human. Also rather than pete and octavius just laying into it in a fight it plays out like a fight between superhuman scientists with each inventing stuff to combat the other. Otto uses hippies.
sounds like my kind of story!
as for the doc ock stuff...sound absolutely genius...im anxious to pick this one up

And a book that might now still be in print but you should try to hunt down is The Goblin Legacy. Spidey, The Molten Man and Ben Urich try to track down the kidnapped Normie OsBorne while Ben does reseach for his book.

I really like Mark Millar's run on MK: Spider-Man that is broken into three trades

That's honestly one of my favorite Spidey stories.

Also, it is collected in an oversized Hardcover. I got it two weeks ago. Ithas a forward by Stan Lee and some AWESOME Dodson and Cho bonus sketches.

Mine too, actually, and I'm not a big Millar fan. But the last stand was a pretty damn good story, and I loved Norman's letter at the end.

Reading through this page and the suggestions, it looks like whenever Kaare Andrews does a Spidey tale, it's a must read :D I too enjoyed Reign!

Out of nostalgia, I picked up the Torment HC yesterday at the shop. I remember enjoying it as a youngster back in the 90's and outside of some repetitive dialogue, I still think it's a fun litle story. I just wish that they would have recoloured this collection like they did with Kravens Last Hunt.

It's difficult to make a thread with Spidey trades like the Batman one. Spider-man is a continuity heavy character more so than any other comic book hero (main reason WE flip when they change too much).

I'd say start with Master Works or Essentials and work your way up.

That's honestly one of my favorite Spidey stories.

Also, it is collected in an oversized Hardcover. I got it two weeks ago. Ithas a forward by Stan Lee and some AWESOME Dodson and Cho bonus sketches.

Aloha,
Here it is.
MK-Spider-Man-v.1.jpg

Spidey rules

Yup...I realized after reading it, there aren't many good Spidey FIGHTS lately. That whole Millar run of MKSM was action-PACKED! Great fights. You pick up an issue now, and you don't get much of that.

Also, I saw the Spider-Man Torment HC at my LCS the other day. I thought I could resist it if I ever saw it, but it sucked me in just like it used to. I threw it in my pull list so I could pick it up next time.

I also picked up the HC of Spider-Man: With Great Power. That was pretty cool. It was a really good story, and it provides a nice little aside to show what (could have) happened between the pages of AF#15. Also, the artwork was gorgeous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"