The Thing poll: Practical or cgi?

Galactus123

Sidekick
Reaction score
Should The Thing be done using practical costume or cgi? I really liked how he looked in the 2005 movie so I hope it will be practical. That suit still looks great and cgi would have aged badly. The poll has two questons so answer to both.

Last edited:
I've always liked practical costumes wherever possible, and The Thing's costume in the 2005 movie has never bothered me. Having said that, I'm almost certain they will go with CGI, it's just the way things are done these days (no pun intended). If nothing else, they will be able to give him more size with the CGI. Although they could size him up anyway, but that kind of defeats the purpose of a practical costume.

As for which I would prefer, I'm not sure. I would have to see both versions and decide which I liked best.

I think there’s a real magic with practical effects that superior to just getting the actors to talk to a tennis ball on a stick. I also think, with a guy like Ben, it’s all about the warmth and the banter and that doesn’t always happen with cgi. But I reckon it’ll be cgi

I think there’s a real magic with practical effects that superior to just getting the actors to talk to a tennis ball on a stick. I also think, with a guy like Ben, it’s all about the warmth and the banter and that doesn’t always happen with cgi. But I reckon it’ll be cgi
The thing I always think about CGI is that it's basically a cartoon. I want to see a live action movie. If I wanted a character that was CGI, I could just watch a cartoon. That's kind of how I feel about but I'm okay with them making The Thing CGI, especially since I'm sure that's how they'll go anyway.

Great thread idea!

Let’s see.

Practical:
T Rex in JP 1
Baby Yoda in Mandalorian
Classic monsters like Predator, Alien, The Thing (John Carpenter)

CGI:
Jar Jar Binks
Majority of creatures today
Has aged horribly (Godzilla 1998-1999)

Practical + CG hybrid:
Iron Man 1

I would vote for a combination of both. CG Thing for the battles and practical when he is close up and having conversations with people. It depends on the CG artists as well, some are so talented they can make CG look like practical- such as the case with District 9’s robot.

I think there’s some actors like Andy serkis who can make it work. But even mo cap Lupita in the Star Wars sequels wasn’t that great. Plus there’s so many wizards today that can do something creative with practicals

The closest thing we have to Thing is Korg and I would say he is a fan favourite. 90% chance Thing is CG imho

-pEPlB.gif

The closest thing we have to Thing is Korg and I would say he is a fan favourite. 90% chance Thing is CG imho

-pEPlB.gif
I forgot about him. Thing will probably be cgi too for consistency. I wish they would make more practical suits nowdays. The 2005 Thing looked so good because it was real. I liked the moments when he couldn't pick up the ring or a fork. I wonder if those were originally in the script or were added later after finding out how hard it was to do normal things in the suit.

Last edited:
Despite the terrible design and other problems, this gives a hint of what a CGI Thing could give us:

fox GIF on GIFER

We saw the limitations of practical effects in 2005. Not only did he obviously look like a guy in a rubber suit rather than a rocky creature, but his proportions were limited by a human’s anatomy.

His arms were too short, his shoulders too narrow, his hands were too small, his face too human, and he couldn’t move with any speed or athleticism.

Ben is so strong that his body weighs nearly nothing to him, so he should move quickly and easily - not like a man wearing hundreds of pounds of rubber.

thing-art-asylum-marvel-milestones-1916395203
Despite the terrible design and other problems, this gives a hint of what a CGI Thing could give us:

fox GIF on GIFER

We saw the limitations of practical effects in 2005. Not only did he obviously look like a guy in a rubber suit rather than a rocky creature, but his proportions were limited by a human’s anatomy.

His arms were too short, his shoulders too narrow, his hands were too small, his face too human, and he couldn’t move with any speed or athleticism.

Ben is so strong that his body weighs nearly nothing to him, so he should move quickly and easily - not like a man wearing hundreds of pounds of rubber.

I cant see the image.

Thing must look at the very least like this
5un61w965bh11.jpg

But would be even better like this

5BAF7F68-0D0A-4D03-B528-3CD6E6742031.jpeg
C917E69D-18D9-487F-A4CA-F348EB9A21CA.jpeg

(
THE THING -ART ASYLUM MARVEL MILESTONES STATUE MIB#9 OF 2500 RARE)

Last edited:
I actually liked the 2005 prosthetic—I just wish the design had a more pronounced brow. And a taller actor so he’s not shorter than the other team members.

I think it’s inevitable that the MCU version will be CGI—just look at Hulk, She-Hulk, Korg, Groot, etc. But I’d be open to an actor in a suit.

If they had any b***s they'd do him with stop motion claymation.
As he should be done.

idk if you have seen modern claymation like they did for Paranorman and the even better follow up which i cant remember the name of, as well as Coraline…if they used claymation and used CG to “fine tune” it and make it look 30/60 fps whichever is more cinematic looking, it would be enormously good

-pEPlB.gif
Good to see Korg already done a while back and looking fine. Thing should look better than this but this should ensure the lower end isn’t too low.

Definitely CG. Especially when it can truly be devoted to a main character, unlike korg who is just a supporting character. If they put the level of focus into the Thing the way they did hulk, rocket, thanos, and groot then he'll look great.

CG has come a long way, and like Stark Bauer pointed out if they can make Korg work. They can make Ben work.

CG has come a long way, and like Stark Bauer pointed out if they can make Korg work. They can make Ben work.

the scenes where Groot died in Gotg1 and Korg was turned to rubble in Thor 4 made me realize how much it will hurt to see CG Thing get hurt

I agree. Also, Ben's pretty expressive with his face. I'm hoping they can get that part right as well. Just a few years ago that could've been tough but given what they've pulled off recently I'm confident they can find a balance.

I feel like the only one of the MCU stable who might have been tempted to do The Thing practically would’ve been Gunn. And even that’s not a sure thing.

But when you look at Hulk, She-Hulk, Thanos,
Beast
… we know how this is going to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back