• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Too Human Hype Thread

Manny Calavera

Sidekick
Reaction score
What is it?
'Too Human' is a trilogy of sci-fi action adventures expected to span the life cycle of the Xbox360.

Why should I be hyped for it?
There are a couple of reasons. The first would be that it's from developer Silicon Knights, a former Nintendo 2nd party developer whom Microsoft has been courting, responsible most recently for cult classic Gamecube title "Eternal Darkness" and "Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes", an excellent Gamecube remake of the original Metal Gear Solid who's only problems come from people who would have whined no matter what was done, and have also worked on other titles such as the original "Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain" on the original Playstation. Other reasons include the games amazing visuals, provided by a reworked version of Unreal 3.0, the innovative control scheme, and the general aura of "wow, this game will probably kick ass" surronding this title.

How does the game play?
To be brief, like Ninja Gaiden or God of War. That is, a group of enemies will be on screen, which you will kill with an assortment of weapons by using various combos that include you jumping about and attacking from the air, cutting things in half, shooting something in the face after impaling it, etc. After seeing some videos, playing either of the titles mentioned, reading some interviews, you'll know what to expect.

But I heard this was an RPG?
You heard wrong. Though this game does have RPG elements (various, upgradeable armor and weapons, "level up's"), the gameplay, lack of real dialogue choice or side quests, and the developers own words keep it from being in that genre.

How does the game utilize Xbox-Live?
Believe it or not, this game will not only feature downloadable content and achievements (like everything else), but will also feature a fully functional online co-op mode, allowing up to four players to join and go through the entire single player campaign, start to finish, with certain areas only able to be reached and moves only able to be pulled off with team work.

What does the game look like?
Like This....but before you look, please note that some of these images are from earlier builds, hence the differing visual quality.

928546_20060509_screen001.jpg

Cyberspace2.jpg

TH_142.jpg

TH_02.jpg

TH_04.jpg

Are there videos?
Yes there are, but before you see them, two things. One, if you have Xbox Live and a 360, the video is probably best viewed from there, and two, this video is from the E3 '06, which featured a VERY incomplete alpha build that wasn't 'up-to-date' since January '06, so while it looks very nice, it is by no means an accurate representation of the final product, as the AI had not yet been implemented in most of the enemies and the enemies themselves were placed in a place-holder fashion throughout the level to simply show various combat scenarios, not representing the sheer numbers you will encounter in the game, which according to the developers, can top 100 enemies at once.

With that said, here is the E3 trailer.

I heard that this game sucks after E3!
One, you didn't hear that from anyone THERE, because the vast majority of the press was VERY impressed with the title, and two, as previously stated the version shown was a very buggy, very old alpha build of the game which was used because of Silicon Knight's unwillingness to devote valuable development resources towards a simple demonstration when they'd be much better used to complete the game, and as such is not a good way to judge the final product or even the game's progress up to this point. You see this attitude now reflected in the huge restructuring of the former bloated E3 show into a smaller, more personal event. So, in short, the person who told you that was not only wrong, but not very aware of the facts surronding the situation, and probably had ulterior motives.

So the next person who whines about the E3 showing despite having been told a million times what REALLY happened will see your foot crash through their monitor and hit them in the teeth?
Yes.

Will the game ever come out on the PS3?
Like all quality titles, no, never, as this game is published by Microsoft Game Studios. In addition, the gameplay is unlikely to work very well on a PC and as such is a "true" 360 exclusive. That goes for all three games in the series.

Is there anywhere I can get more information on this excellent game?
Yes, at Silicon Knights' official blog, found here.

When does Too Human 1 hit store shelves?
Officially, Christmas '06, though it will likely be released earlier next year.

Get hyped for this too.

A Hands On With A Build 1000x Worse Than The Final said:
Is it possible to be too human? If we’re talking from the perspective of a futuristic Norse God, then of course it’s possible to possess an abundance of DNA.

Silicon Knight’s (Legacy of Kain, MGS: The Twin Snakes) Too Human has been dreaming about a system that could bring their sci-fi trilogy to life. Lucky for us, the Xbox 360 is that system, so get ready for the Unreal 3-powered Too Human this holiday season.

We were fortunate enough to be one of the few to play Too Human at Microsoft’s post E3 2006 press briefing event. This is a fairly early build of this third-person action title, but our playtime was enough to get a feel of what this innovative adventure is all about.

You’ll play as Baldur - a god with the very tall task of saving humanity from a contingent of merciless beasts designed for killing. The bots feel that Baldur has too much of the red stuff coursing through his veins. Pressures to become more cybernetic appear to conflict Baldur, which appears to fuel his distaste for the drives of enemies that come at him in Too Human.

Aiding Silicon Knights in telling the first in a series of three Too Human titles is an Unreal 3 engine that has few graphical equals at the given time. The environments of the few demo levels featured were brimming with vibrant textures designed from gads of conceptual sketches. Imagine worlds grand enough to house icons of Norse mythology and cybernetic organisms of the near-future. Sound different? It is from a visual standpoint, but in a good, Blade Runner meets Troy kind of way.

Unreal 3-equipped Baldur adds to the allure of Too Human as well. Looking like a cross between a medieval knight and a possessed humanoid, Baldur oozes personality at a mere glance. His ornamental armor and array of classical weaponry establish this hero as a player character anomaly within the backdrop of cyborgs and classic lore.

The graphics and art direction comprise one portion of Too Human’s innovative approach to storytelling. The other portion involves a distaste for static cutscenes while the game loads. Too Human is all about seamless streaming and playable cinematics which add breath and depth to the core third-person gameplay. In our demo, a cinematic playable featured a first-person view from the perspective of the enemy, rapidly approaching Baldur’s jugular. Heavy post-production effects including motion blur, scratched media, and color saturations gave this scene a fresh, artistic look, while at the same time offering playable action in lieu of a “static matic”.

Helping to create additional Hollywood-style moments in Too Human is a camera system that has been put solely in the hands of – surprise - the CPU. Bucking the trend of user-controlled cameras is a completely hands-off system that Silicon Knights claims helps keep the gamers focused on the task of enjoying the action. A CPU-controlled camera also allows for zoom settings that work to emphasize exciting combat moments. For example, we found the camera zooming extremely tight in dynamic situations, without affecting our ability to control the player character. We also noticed moments from the demo that harkens back to coin-op side-scrollers, with the PC being controlled from a wide-angle viewpoint.

It was a trite hard for us to play Too Human as it was intended, as this pick-up-and play style action title was struggling from framerate issues in this early build. The framerate appeared to mess with the auto camera zoom, as well as our ability to get a real handle on how the weapons systems function. Firearms combat seemed to work a bit better than the acrobatic, weapons-based melee combat showcased in Too Human. We wielded dual pistols that seemed to take down the base level of grunts with ease. The melee combat took more finesse, but was much more striking from a visual standpoint. Blade after effects, motion blur, and seamless ground-to-sky animations sums up the multiple-enemy melee action that comprises the majority of Too Human.

We were able to unleash what is being dubbed as a “super move” just before our playtest ended. A super move is available when a certain number of enemies have been defeated. Each tier of enemy eradication unlocks another super move, easily unleashed with a face button press. Our particular super move summoned a floating orb which attracted four enemies like a big ol’ magnet. The baddies had the life sucked out of them by the hungry orb, and were then flung to the ground with haste.

We can’t wait to get hands on a newer build of Too Human. This title has loads of potential, which is evident with the planning of two more titles to complete what is sure to be a wondrous trilogy. Look for more on Too Human as this holiday season draws near.

Easily "killer app" status.

Ninja Gaiden/God of War combat + over 100 enemies at once = yeah, pretty ****ng amazing.

Everyone stop invading the damn Sony forum and talk about how awesome this game is :(

I hope this game is good. It was the game I was looking forward to most for the 360, now that's shifted over to Gears of War/Bioshock, but I'm really hoping this game will be so awesome I'll be shamed into admitting I should've stuck with it as my most anticipated game.

The Silicon Knights Blog said:
Who is Baldur? What motivates him? How is he different than the other characters in the game? Will gamers identify with him? The world knows Thor as the quintessential Viking hero of Norse mythology, but very few of us know the story of Baldur. Baldur is a Viking hero, known as the shining god, the bleeding god and the god of innocence and peace.

Read the rest, it's pretty interesting, and has some nice screenshots/art.

Yeah, between that and Too Human, I may just get my Viking fix. But nothing will ever do it quite like Rune. :(

Well, that's true. I just really want Rune 2. Hopefully with Prey doing so well, Human Head will be able to get publisher backing for a Rune sequel! :D

HOLY CRAP!!!! WHY DID I NOT SEE THAT BEFORE!!! ORGASM!!!! AWESOME!!!! I NEED THIS GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot!

Wow, Thor looks awesome! Kinda wish he was the main character now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"