The Vow - starring Rachel McAdams

mclay18

Avenger
Reaction score
I looked in this forum to see if this movie had a thread already, but it didn't. Regardless whether the film was inspired by a true story (I've heard several stories of this happening in real life), but it looks Nicholas Sparks-lite in execution.

Trailer (it comes out February 10th).

I might see this because Rachel McAdams is awesome -- but Channing is a total buzzkill. The guy can not emote to save his life, and doesn't have chemistry with McAdams at all. I wish they'd got someone like Eric Bana to pair up with her again, since they were great in The Time Traveler's Wife.

Thoughts? Comments?

When I first heard about this I was kind of excited to take my girlfriend to it for Valentine's Day because I absolutely love Rachel McAdams but definitely not worth it because of Tatum. He's right up there with Sam Worthington and Hayden Christenson as the worst actors in Hollywood today. So I'm taking her to This Means War instead which will be a really fun date movie that we both can enjoy.

So I'm taking her to This Means War instead which will be a really fun date movie that we both can enjoy.

It looks somewhat Mr. and Mrs. Smith-esque (not surprising considering the same writer is behind it). But if it's half as fun as that -- it should be all right.

But the thing about chick flicks -- especially romance movies -- is that most of the time, they're dumbed down and inane. They pander to typical chick flick cliches and/or don't have much to offer for guys (aside from eye candy). The Vow looks like another Nicholas Sparks-esque weep-fest, just replacing Amanda Seyfried with Rachel McAdams.

There's only two chick flicks that I really enjoyed: Ever After and The Time Traveler's Wife. The former had some very funny supporting characters and the main couple didn't fall in the usual cliches. The latter just... works.

How come Hollywood keeps offering Tatum leading roles? He should only be a supporting actor who stands in the background, at best.

I don't get it either. Has Tatum been in any hit films? Is he a box office draw? Because if he isn't, then I can't see why he keeps landing all of these roles. He's clearly not getting by on his talent, so I'm baffled by his ubiquity.

Why Channing Tatum? WHY?

And i'm glad to see Scott Speedman passed on Underworld: Awakening for this meatier, career changing role.

I do love Rachel McAdams though, she's great.

Because Tatum brings in female viewers. Plain and simple. Tatum in a romantic drama is a potential hit.

You sure about that? Here's a rundown of his movies, post Step-Up, since that appears to be when he first became a name.

http://boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?id=channingtatum.htm

Out of the following films, the highlighted films are the only ones that could really be deemed hits. Public Enemies doesn't count because he was in that movie for 15 seconds and had no lines. He also had a bit part in Step Up 2, so that one could also be scratched. And while G.I. Joe made money, it was universally panned, so much that Tatum himself promised its sequel would be nothing like the original.

So what you're left with is one hit romance movie and the first Step-Up. All of these other films have pretty much been either flops or modest performers.

1/20/12 Haywire $10,032,651
11/4/11 The Son of No One $30,680
2/11/11 The Eagle $19,490,041
1/14/11 The Dilemma $48,475,290
2/5/10 Dear John $80,014,842
8/7/09 G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra $150,201,498
7/1/09 Public Enemies $97,104,620
4/24/09 Fighting $23,091,010
9/19/08 Battle in Seattle $224,169
2/14/08 Step Up 2 the Streets $58,017,783
3/28/08 Stop-Loss $10,915,744
9/29/06 A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints $517,809
8/11/06 Step Up $65,328,121

I don't get it either. Has Tatum been in any hit films? Is he a box office draw? Because if he isn't, then I can't see why he keeps landing all of these roles. He's clearly not getting by on his talent, so I'm baffled by his ubiquity.
why is Ryan Reynolds getting lead roles all the time even tho he had bomb after bomb

because there tall good looking and with good bodies

nothing more nothing less

^ You left out She's The Man, with Amanda Bynes. But yeah, when you really look at Tatum's career, one has to wonder why he's been given the reputation as the "Next Big Thing" from Hollywood. He hasn't really carried a film to become a blockbuster hit, nor has his performance received praises from critics and audience alike. About the only people that are supposed to be infatuated with him are the teenage girls, who love Twilight and other young good-looking actors who can't act (Taylor Lautner, for instance).

Something tells me this film will have A LOT of shirtless Tatum.

Because Tatum brings in female viewers. Plain and simple. Tatum in a romantic drama is a potential hit.
I'm female and i take offense in that! :cmad: in fact, i tend to stay away from movies he's in. I dont want to be mean, but if they call what he does acting i should go to Hollywood and i'd win an Academy Award; i can act better than he does.

It looks somewhat Mr. and Mrs. Smith-esque (not surprising considering the same writer is behind it). But if it's half as fun as that -- it should be all right.

How did you come up with this comparison? The Mr. & Mrs. Smith with Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie?!?! Are you kidding? It looks nothing like that movie, at all, there's not one gun in the preview.

But the thing about chick flicks -- especially romance movies -- is that most of the time, they're dumbed down and inane. They pander to typical chick flick cliches and/or don't have much to offer for guys (aside from eye candy). The Vow looks like another Nicholas Sparks-esque weep-fest, just replacing Amanda Seyfried with Rachel McAdams.

There's only two chick flicks that I really enjoyed: Ever After and The Time Traveler's Wife. The former had some very funny supporting characters and the main couple didn't fall in the usual cliches. The latter just... works.

You obviously didn't read the book of Time Traveler's Wife, it's so much better than the movie, since it's more science fiction than a love story, it really explores how the time traveling affects the lives of Henry, Clare and their family and friends.

How did you come up with this comparison? The Mr. & Mrs. Smith with Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie?!?! Are you kidding? It looks nothing like that movie, at all, there's not one gun in the preview.

Really? I saw Tom Hardy whipping out a pistol in one scene. Plus, I meant the Smith comparison in a very broad sense. Reese Witherspoon and Chelsea Handler don't hold a candle to Angelina Jolie. But Hardy vs. Pine vs. Pitt: Hardy would win.

You obviously didn't read the book of Time Traveler's Wife, it's so much better than the movie, since it's more science fiction than a love story, it really explores how the time traveling affects the lives of Henry, Clare and their family and friends.

I really wasn't expecting to enjoy the movie at all, but I did. Going the sci-fi route (or making it more faithful to the book) isn't always a good idea. I haven't read the book yet, but I read some changes the movie made to the source material. Some changes actually benefit the movie's structure and tone, like the ending.

But McAdams was the glue that held that movie together. She was amazing.

I loved The Time Travelers Wife up until the end. I couldn't stop laughing it was so funny, the deer looked ridiculously fake and the whole situation was just dumb they could have thought up a better ending then that. Its a shame Tatum is in this movie because the story is really interesting and pretty heartbreaking when you think about it.

2/11/11 The Eagle $19,490,041
7/1/09 Public Enemies $97,104,620

I don't remember Tatum at all in Public Enemies....

He was also really wooden in The Eagle. About the only thing he did well in that movie were the action scenes. :p

I'm female and i take offense in that! :cmad: in fact, i tend to stay away from movies he's in. I dont want to be mean, but if they call what he does acting i should go to Hollywood and i'd win an Academy Award; i can act better than he does.

No offense from me meant.:yay: Hollywood is a business, and Tatum is a good looking guy so Hollywood is going to extort that like any big business extorts things. Lol, and Hollywood tends to be out of touch with what people really want from time to time.

How is it good business when Tatum clearly doesnt bring any?

I don't remember Tatum at all in Public Enemies....

He was also really wooden in The Eagle. About the only thing he did well in that movie were the action scenes. :p

That's because he's gets shot in killed after like 30 seconds of screen time on public enemies :)
It was a perfect role for him

How is it good business when Tatum clearly doesnt bring any?

Lol, I never said it was good or smart. I mean look at the mistakes Fox made forcing directors to butcher their films to get a pg-13 rating and to be under 2 hours, and all the crappy remakes and sequels Hollywood churns out. Hollywood tends to be out of touch. From personal experience I will say that I haven't encountered one girl that didn't think Tatum was good looking. They don't always go to the theaters and see his movies, but they always catch them on dvd. Hollywood makes money, but they don't always make good decisions. He sells in some capacity, tho. And maybe his chemistry was good with Rachel. There could be a number of reasons he is in it, but one reason I'm sure he is in it is because it is a Romantic Drama. At this point he is somewhat type cast and his name seems to be synonymous with the romantic genre at this point.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"