Switch The Wonderful 101 (Wii U)

MagnarTheGreat

Web Ninja
Reaction score
71FY-bFbc%2BL._SL300_.jpg

Console: Wii U
Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: Platinum Games
Release Date: September 15, 2013 (North America)

Lead a team of the world’s strongest (and strangest) superheroes to fight off a massive alien invasion! As Wonder Red, leader of the Wonderful 100, unite your mob of heroes to morph into powerful transformations such as a fist, sword, glider, gun, and more to battle aliens throughout Blossom City. You, and the Wonderful 100, are the city’s best weapon.

It’s up to you and your team of superpeople to take on colossal robots and alien masterminds bent on obliterating Blossom City. But don’t worry—you’re not alone. You can recruit more hero allies to your cause and learn even more transformational abilities as you fight, climb, glide, and leap your way through the war-torn city. Use your fighting skills to dodge enemy attacks and chain together combos, and then head to the shop to buy new items and abilities. Recruit friends to fight cooperatively by your side in multiplayer, or compete head to head in battle mode.

• Lead a horde of superheroes in a fight against alien invaders
  • Recruit new heroes to learn powerful new abilities
  • Take on alien invaders in intense, over-the-top battles
  • Buy new abilities and upgrades at the ingame shop
  • Battle alongside friends in co-op multiplayer, or take them on in battle mode (additional accessories are required for multiplayer mode; sold separately)

Trailer (Spoilers):

Demo Gameplay:

Wonderful 101 has much deeper gameplay than we thought

Wonderful 101 is from the same game director as Bayonetta, but the similarities aren’t obvious in screenshots. After playing a 30-minute chunk of the final game, we noted that Wonderful 101 is similarly dedicated to pushing (and punishing) players with deep, combo-heavy gameplay. We faced a small chunk of the massive robot army the game’s masked vigilantes are tasked with stopping, and the largest of the group was giving us some trouble. We took tons of damage as we adapted to its attack patterns and broke through its defenses. After the harrowing battle, the Nintendo rep was quick to clarify that wasn’t a mid-boss, but a normal encounter.

http://www.gamesradar.com/wonderful-101-has-much-deeper-gameplay-we-thought/

Demo available in the Nintendo Wii U eShop!

Last edited:
I think it's more like an arcade-style action game/beat-em-up with things like QTEs thrown in. You seem to control a massive party simultaneously.

I don't have a Wii U or know anyone personally that has one (unlike the Wii) but I hope to get a chance to check it out in a kiosk somewhere eventually.

It's an action game more in the style of DMC. The other heroes with you serve the main purpose of transforming into weapons (giant fists, gun, swords, etc.). They can be used in other ways, too, such as having them jump on to enemies to momentarily stun them and do extra damage. They've said you can use them in a variety of other ways, but we won't know for sure until the game is out.

Here's the blog for Platinum, where they've been detailing the mechanics more in depth:

http://platinumgames.com/2013/08/09/w101-blog-ep-11-go-the-people-need-saving/

That's the latest one, but you can go back and check out the others.

I think W101 looks awesome, and I definitely plan on buying it. :up:

[BLACKOUT]Whenever I get a Wii U.[/BLACKOUT]

Game keeps looking weirder and weirder lol

The Wonderful 101 Direct that Nintendo showed this morning actually sold me a little more on this game. It looks really, really different and that's great. I hope Nintendo does a few more of these original, creative titles.

I just got done playing the demo. The videos don't do it justice. It's actually a whole lot of fun once you figure out all the little tricks.

What type of genre is it? I won't get to try it till after work

IMO it's a beat em up. There are other elements that they've shown in the trailers, but the demo I played was mostly just the combat. The combat in this game is a good bit of fun.

IMO it's a beat em up. There are other elements that they've shown in the trailers, but the demo I played was mostly just the combat. The combat in this game is a good bit of fun.

Thanks!

What type of genre is it? I won't get to try it till after work

Ahem...

It's an action game more in the style of DMC. The other heroes with you serve the main purpose of transforming into weapons (giant fists, gun, swords, etc.). They can be used in other ways, too, such as having them jump on to enemies to momentarily stun them and do extra damage. They've said you can use them in a variety of other ways, but we won't know for sure until the game is out.

Here's the blog for Platinum, where they've been detailing the mechanics more in depth:

http://platinumgames.com/2013/08/09/w101-blog-ep-11-go-the-people-need-saving/

That's the latest one, but you can go back and check out the others.

Thought this was a rather clear post about the genre. I know people are getting somewhat confused based on the nature of having 100 heroes at a time, thinking it's like Pikmin, but it's an action game. The best way to think of the other heroes in 101 is that they are basically your weapon of the game. Instead of a regular fist or sword or gun, they morph into said weapon. They will be able to utilized in other ways, but that's the core of it.

Well playing it now and I have no idea what I'm doing lol.

I was pleased how well the right stick works in the gameplay. I thought it'd be clunky to have to stop and draw on the gamepad, but being able to quickly do the shapes with the right stick is fantastic. IMO it works as well as popping a special move in a fighting game during a combo.

I was pleased how well the right stick works in the gameplay. I thought it'd be clunky to have to stop and draw on the gamepad, but being able to quickly do the shapes with the right stick is fantastic. IMO it works as well as popping a special move in a fighting game during a combo.

I"m on the pro controller and can't do the shapes at all. I'm really not feeling this game. Played for 45 mins and don't have a clue. It's so chaotic.

Yeah, if you don't like the pace and chaos of action games like DMC, Bayonetta, and Ninja Gaiden, game probably isn't for you.

The Wonderful 101 Allows For Auto Combos, Like Bayonetta And Devil May Cry

By Ishaan . August 13, 2013 . 8:30am Just like Devil May Cry and Bayonetta, Hideki Kamiya’s latest game has an auto-combo option available to players that just want to coast along for the ride.

also

Bayonetta And Wonderful 101 Creator Kamiya Details His Origins As A Director. August 13, 2013 . 12:30pm

Hideki Kamiya says that he owes a lot of his success and growth as a designer to his ex-boss, Shinji Mikami, the creator of the Resident Evil series.

Bayonetta And Wonderful 101 Creator Kamiya Details His Origins As A Director Hideki Kamiya, director of games such as Devil May Cry, Okami, Bayonetta and The Wonderful 101, says that he owes a lot of his success and growth as a designer to his ex-boss, Shinji Mikami, the creator of the Resident Evil series.

In an Iwata Asks interview for The Wonderful 101, Kamiya details how he was placed under Mikami’s guidance when he joined Capcom. The very first project he worked on was Resident Evil. “Mikami-san was the one at Capcom who first created the style of team on which the director is responsible for the core of the game,” Kamiya reveals. “Until then, Capcom’s company atmosphere had been one of everyone making games together, and it still was when I first joined.

So there was a backlash and shock from giving the director absolute authority, and I was often against it, too.” Kamiya would himself be required to shoulder such responsibility, when Mikami later made him the director of Resident Evil 2. However, instead of taking to the director’s role as well as he would have liked, Kamiya says he “messed up in a big way”. “As a result of saying okay to everything that came up, it turned out horrible,” Kamiya recalls. “We had to scrap what we had spent a year and a half making.” He adds that, despite this, Mikami allowed him to remain director, convinced that he’d learnt from his mistakes.

The same very nearly happened with Viewtiful Joe and Okami as well, Kamiya reveals, recalling that he struggled with trial-and-error on both games, trying to come up with a core concept for each one, but was unable to do so for a lengthy period of time. Ultimately, with the help of other staff members, the core mechanics of both games were fleshed out under pressure, which led to a drastic change in direction in Okami’s case in particular. Kamiya ultimately credits the working environment at Capcom with why his games at the company turned out to be of such high quality.

source:Siliconera

Last edited:
Seems the controls have been a mixed issue for a lot of reviewers. But I'm reading from a lot of others that the controls are fine, they just take time to get used to. It reminds me a lot of God Hand, many reviews trashed that because of the controls, which took awhile to get use to, but once you did you realized it was a masterpiece. But just to let you know, the game was designed for the Wii U from the beginning, so all of the gamepad features were in mind.

Yeah I basically played the first chapter and then replayed it once I had my head around the controls. This game is probably my favorite Platinum game out there and that's... that's saying something.

How The Wonderful 101 Became The Game It Is Today. September 2, 2013 . 2:00pm

In a brief interview with Siliconera, director Hideki Kamiya touched upon different aspects of The Wonderful 101′s development, including the original design with Nintendo characters, and how it grew into the title it is today.

tw101_thumb.jpg

At the Penny Arcade Expo, we had the chance to have a few quick words with PlatinumGames’ Hideki Kamiya, who just wrapped up development of The Wonderful 101. During our conversation, Kamiya touched upon different aspects of the game’s development, including the original design with Nintendo characters, and how it grew into the title it is today.

The Wonderful 101 looks different now from the way it did a year ago. How has the game changed since you last showed it off a public event?

Hideki Kamiya, director: The game has been undergoing changes on a daily basis, being updated everyday. I don’t know at what state exactly the game was, at last year’s PAX build, but thinking to about a year ago, we were really still right in the middle of this trial-and-error process of going through a lot of steps to make it more interesting.

At the time, it wasn’t at the level we wanted it to be. It wasn’t exactly fun, so to really get something greater out of the gameplay, we were working through that. So, at the time you could really call it a temporary state, where we were trying to show off overall concept and aesthetic and whatnot. From then, day-by-day, we’ve been going through this process of trial-and-error, where we build up elements or completely throw out other elements.

For example, there’s a really fundamental part of the game, which is drawing different shapes [on the Wii U GamePad] which results in the Unite Morphs, and at one point, it was simply pressing a button. Pressing a button to make a sword or pressing a button to make a fist. It was just a matter of pressing an icon. And that’s an area that wasn’t as fun, and by implementing this system of drawing the Unite Morphs—making decisions like that through development—we made progress in making the game more interesting.

So, it’s not as if we’d decided from the beginning what the featureset or fundamental gameplay would be. It’s something that came together nicely as we went along.

tw1012_thumb.jpg

There are 100 heroes in The Wonderful 101, but each one is unique and has a unique design. How did you go about making each one unique and was it challenging to come up with 100 unique characters?

So, the main character designer [is] Ms. Okura. The wide variety of characters is largely thanks to her. From the point where we decided on having a hundred characters, it was simple enough to start first with imagining we’ve got the colored heroes. We’ve got the red and blue and yellow and going on from there.

And so, naturally, I went on to thinking [how] we’ve got these other Wonderful-somethings. Thinking of different themes. Around baseball or whatever. Getting these ideas down on paper and then handing them off to Ms. Okura. And we talked about if these aren’t interesting or if these are designs we have to pursue, and I left it up to her to fill in and come up with interesting designs. So, I would say it’s mostly thanks to her effort.

On Bayonetta, Ms. Okura was the UI designer and she came up with a very unique and interesting design that was very appealing to me, so I made the special request to have her work on The Wonderful 101 as the main designer. She was also the designer on all of the enemies in The Wonderful 101, and in addition to doing the player characters and enemies—tasks that are usually split up between different designers, as they were in Okami and Bayonetta—she handled all of the design and it was a very impressive feat to be able to do that at such a high quality.

tw103_thumb.jpg

The Wonderful 101 appears to be heavily influenced by tokusatsu shows. What makes characters in those shows cool, and how did that influence the game?

Trying to identify what exactly it is about superheroes in those shows is hard to put into words. [That] stuff is just cool, but that coolness and style is injected into a lot of different elements of the game, such as design and story and so on.

In the very first draft of The Wonderful 101, Inaba-san said it had an all-star cast of Nintendo characters. Could you talk about the initial design and what characters you had?

Initially, the idea was proposed by [Platinum boss] Mr. Minami, to create a game featuring Nintendo characters or other popular characters together in one game. With the idea of putting characters like Mario and Link into the same game, you end up with a situation where fans of Mario are forced to play as Link.

It’s hard for all fans to enjoy all parts of the game evenly. So [the question was], how can I create a game where there’s an even enough emphasis to put on all the different characters? And the answer was that I could put all the different characters on the screen at the same time. That was the key thought that led to what The Wonderful 101 turned out to be.

What are the differences between a producer and a director at PlatinumGames?

Do they have different responsibilities and do they divvy up the authority differently? The difference is that producers serve more of a management role. Management logistics like staffing, scheduling, being responsible for completing the game as a product. More management-oriented. I’ve always been a director. My job is making the game. As director, an important distinction is that I’m the one on the ground floor making the game.

bay2_thumb.jpg

What’s the difference between Sega and Nintendo when it comes to their involvement in development support for the games you’ve made for them?

I can say there’s a lot of very small minor differences in the way the two companies operate. A lot of it is these small differences in corporate culture or processes or something, but generally, it’d be safe to say that both companies are able to respect PlatinumGames’ way of doing things, and largely left making the game [to us] and respecting the development of the game from that perspective.

What are the differences in size, between the Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101 teams?

Of course, it depends at which stage of development a game is in. At this moment in time, it’s sort of meaningless to compare the two. Bayonetta 2 hasn’t necessarily reached its peak of development and when we get to that point, you would add staff. In that regard, it’s hard to say if one is bigger than the other. [It just] depends on where it’s at.
source:Siliconera

Here's a test and it's review.

• GI Rating 7.5
    The Wonderful 101

cafe-icon.png

on Sep 10, 2013 at 11:00 AM

The Wonderful 101 is brought down by the bane of many superhero teams. The individual aspects are interesting alone, but they have trouble working together.
    ... More

Reviews

The Wonderful 101 Review

Shaun and Marissa team up with the realm the Wonderful 101.

synopsis: They entered the wonderful 101. it's wacky fun that's bright and colorful but the controls can be problemmatic.
Marissa's score 6.0 Shaun's Score 8.5

source:GI & GT & EPD.TV/ROTR

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"