The Zarathos Discussion

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
Now i know he is the spirit of vengeance inside blaze and that it's noble kale inside ketch,however i read that there is a story where zarathos returned and battled the ketch GR and blaze,So my question is what did Zarathos look like when he was just himself and not sharing a body did he look like the pic i posted?
any info would be appreciated:)

gr_zarathosBackgroun.jpg

Yeah, thats what he looked like. They had this thing called the Midnight Massacre crossover (the covers were black and were supposed to look like the darkhold envelopes) which led to the Road to Vengeance crossover, which led to the Siege of Darkness crossover. Personally I believe all this cross over bull to be the downfall of ghost rider (in my opinion #50 marks the end of anything remotely good). Anyway... Zarathos was in the end of the Road to Vengeance (GR 41, Spirits 14, GR 42, Spirits 15, GR 43, and Spirits 16) and in the Siege of Darkness (too many parts to name right now, it was horrible to get all of them).

Horrible is right. I don't have them all as of yet. What's really funny is that they aren't even numbered correctly. In the comics, they tell you to read a certain one next but it has the incorrect series number. Funny. It seems they rushed it... and this was something rar too big to be rushed.

hunter rider said:
Now i know he is the spirit of vengeance inside blaze and that it's noble kale inside ketch,however i read that there is a story where zarathos returned and battled the ketch GR and blaze,So my question is what did Zarathos look like when he was just himself and not sharing a body did he look like the pic i posted?
any info would be appreciated:)

gr_zarathosBackgroun.jpg

they show Zarathos in his true form wayyy back in 83 in the original Ghost Rider series. will see if i can find a pic online or maybe try to scan it in. he is literally composed of living hellfire....and in the original GR book he lived inside a giant stone statue.....until Mephisto tricked him and forced him to vacate the statue.
one thing i didnt like about the "new" updated Zarathos is he no longer had that sharp wit that he demonstrated so well in the original series. that was a major part of his character the way he smack talked everyone. that and the fact Marvel threw him into a costume that was best fit for an X-Men villain. did like the red hands/skull and the blue hellfire. that was cool

(in response to FlameHead) yes, i know. I suppose it is kinda funny, but when I was getting them it was just frustrating. I sympathize with you acquiring them all because the numbering didn't help the collector in the least! If you need the accurate order and issues, I'd be happy with listing them. But for now I must return to oh so fun school work...

As always guys thanks for the education:up:
Ive seen the pic you mentioned BIGGUN in the marvel encyclopedia but i couldn't find it ,I agree with you on the blue hellfire though,very cool imo,and a nice visual difference with GR

Guys, I can't find that pic of Zarathos anywhere. I looked for quite a while, and I though I even saved it on my computer before. I think it's up and disappeared from the face of the internet.

KnightsPast said:
(in response to FlameHead) yes, i know. I suppose it is kinda funny, but when I was getting them it was just frustrating. I sympathize with you acquiring them all because the numbering didn't help the collector in the least! If you need the accurate order and issues, I'd be happy with listing them. But for now I must return to oh so fun school work...

Nope, I'm good. I've got it all figured out. You're right though, it sure was frustrating trying to collect and read the entire story.

March 20-21, which is the first day of Spring, is also the day Zarathustra (the prophet of Zoroastrianism) received his first revalations.

Zoroastrianism is an ancient 2000+ year old religion that includes fire in their worship, and in their region there known locally as "Fire worshippers."

Zoroastrianism (religion of the ancient Iranians) also believes in spirits of good and evil, and even spirits that could bring word of an omen, or even spirits that would carry out vengeance at the hands of their rulers.

The balance of good and evil are everpresent in Zoroastrian religion.

Ahriman - Their devil

Ahriman.jpg

Is it:

Za-wrath-ose?
Za-Wraith-Ose?
Zayre-a-Those?

LoL. Funny thread.

I always pronounce it as ZARA-THOS but I've never heard anyone really say it before. Just read it.

lol. I agree with FlameHead. Funny thread.

I don't know if I can type how I say it but I'll try lol.

ZAR-(like the word tar with a Z)a-tho-se.

lol.

Never really thought it through. I think even the people I know who like GR never even mentioned Zarathos.

Czar-Ah-Thowse, I guess is how I would pernounce it phonetically.

Zar-a-thos

That's how I pronounce it. Stress on the first two syllables, with a slight growl.

:cwink:

I never say the second a...it sounds better as just Zar-thos

Za-wrath-os.

That's how I, and others up at Marvel used to say it, but it's all in the eye of the beholder. MAG-NEAT-O? MAG-NET-O? MAGNET-O? SUBMARINER? SUB-MAREENER?

Best,

How-odd

im reading back thru the old issues of marvel spotlight and ghost rider and i no longer have all the later issues.and i was wondering if anyone here remembers what issue blaze found out he was bonded to zarathos. thanks to whoever remembers.

issue 78 i believe was the very 1st mention of Zarathos. Nightmare makes a deal w/ GR in how to take over Blaze's body (i think) and in the process reveals his true origins.
the mention that GR and Blaze were actually 2 different entities started in isue 25 ...not sure on that but i believe Jim Shooter started the story line where Blaze was slowly loosing control as GR and was giving into his darker impulses.
later it was explained over several issues he was actually bonded to a demon...but it was never revealed until issue 78 what his name was.

biggun as well as a couple others always has the answers. i applaud your vast knowledge of all things g.r...i bow to you lol...anyways heres another ? when did blaze find out satan was really mephisto? thanx again

It was revealed that "Satan" was actually Mephisto in Ghost Rider # 68, but Blaze didn't encounter the true Mephisto until # 75.

Ixnay Unbound said:
It was revealed that "Satan" was actually Mephisto in Ghost Rider # 68, but Blaze didn't encounter the true Mephisto until # 75.

yup...and from what i remember i dont think they even explained that Satan=Mephisto. Meph just appeared in the issue as the dude that Blaze sold his soul to.
and wasnt the reason behind the change have to do w/ trying to remove any direct references to Satan in the comics? from what i understand Satanism was getting some negative publicity at the time (early 80s) and Marvel didnt want any trouble from parents and the like.

NO OFFENSE To Fellow Ghost Rider fans

Thakey, good question but you went too far with the Mephisto question. F U C K Mephisto.............Lucifer/Satan/Memphistopheles is where it's at...............Your question pissed me off Cough Cough :marv:

Uh...okay?

Just in my own personal opinion, I'd take the significantly well-developed character of Mephisto over the stereotypical cliche' that Way has given us as "Lucifer" over the course of this series any day. But keep in mind that, in the Marvel Universe, it was stated long ago that there is no one, true "Satan"...just pandimensional demons that masquerade as the Biblical Lucifer and each rule their own little corner of "Hell".

I wouldn't call "Lucifer" a stereotypical cliche, he's the DEVIL. Youve heard of the Bible right? Satan, the one Ghost Rider is fighting right now, it's Him. The Devil. To me, that's not a cliche, that's very real and very frightening. Good job Way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"