• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Today's kids are soft

Drakon

I got a rock.
Reaction score
Do you remember when you were a kid, playing Nintendo and it wouldn't work? You take the cartridge out, blow in it and that would magically fix the problem. Every kid in America did that, but how did we all know how to fix the problem? There was no internet or message boards or FAQ's. We just figured it out. Today's kids are soft.

This seems to have sparked a lot of discussion. Feel free to discuss it here.

they are. alotta games today are too easy. ya know, i miss cheap deaths at times :csad:
maybe they didnt have AMAZING GRAPHICS OH EM GEE but they were normally alot longer and more fun.

I think kids today are much softer than they probably used to be. But I don't really think the game system thing is a good example. The X-box is much more complicated inside than a SNES

I think we figured it out through other kids who heard it from another kids.

I loved my Nintendo!

Since we're talking about today's kids...a problem I have is all of this crap about childhood obesity.

We had gaming systems that we played for hours on end, we had happy meals that were really greasy and unhealthy that we ate more than we should...but there were also very few overweight kids back then.

I just don't get it.

@Venom, @Katie: It's not about the games, or the content, or the consoles, or anything like that. It's about having the ingenuity and the drive to try to figure something out yourself, or even locally, instead of immediately getting someone else to do the work for you online.

@Marx: For a lot of it, it's because our parents still gave a damn about raising us. Sad truth is that parents of a lot of the kids of today either weren't ready for kids, or straight up didn't want them, so they put less into parenting and monitoring.

Nah, kids today have it much harder. They have to deal with ***holes online on a daily basis. The only person who made fun of me when I was a kid, was Dr. Robotnik and his ginger waving moustache.

@Marx: For a lot of it, it's because our parents still gave a damn about raising us. Sad truth is that parents of a lot of the kids of today either weren't ready for kids, or straight up didn't want them, so they put less into parenting and monitoring.

My parents were very involved parents. It just blows my mind to think that we had all of these things (gaming systems, greasy unhealthy food) and we all still turned out fine.

Nah, kids today have it much harder. They have to deal with ***holes online on a daily basis. The only person who made fun of me when I was a kid, was Dr. Robotnik and his ginger waving moustache.

That's another thing that ticks me off. Sure, kids are online now and we weren't. Yeah, today's kids have the possibility of getting 'cyberbullied'. But you know what, every networking site has some kind of block feature. Instead of sitting there and crying about it, block the jerk. You know?

I mean, let's use some common sense.

@Venom, @Katie: It's not about the games, or the content, or the consoles, or anything like that. It's about having the ingenuity and the drive to try to figure something out yourself, or even locally, instead of immediately getting someone else to do the work for you online.

thats what I'm saying man! I swear, half the next-gen games I have basically point out what you need to accomplish. hell, as much as it sucked (and still does), at least Batman Forever : THE REAL GAME BEGINS for Snes / Sega, you had NO idea what to do and had to figure everything out by yourself, and I miss games like that.

to hell with robotnik, i lived through the dog from duck hunt :cmad:

It's the internet's fault. It honestly is. We all figured the "blow in the cartidge" thing either on our own or in a small group. The fact that we all thought the same thing just shows that the human mind works a certain way.

Think of it like a committee, which committee gets things done faster? Small ones or large ones? It's almost always a small one that works more efficently.

Remember the best line from Men In Black? To paraphrase, "A person is smart, people are dumb." Individually, we're smarter than we are collectively, and the internet is the biggest collective group of people in the world.

to hell with robotnik, i lived through the dog from duck hunt :cmad:

But Dr Robotnik will never leave my dreams.
jamie-hyneman-4.jpg

I also think it's ridiculous that today's teachers are urged not to use red pens because it 'has the potential to emotionally scar children'.

Give me a freakin' break!

I also think it's ridiculous that today's teachers are urged not to use red pens because it 'has the potential to emotionally scar children'.

Give me a freakin' break!

WHAT?!?!?!:huh:

I remember as a kid, the teacher would throw chalk at us. I was hit many times during class. I think one time she tossed a book at someone.

WHAT?!?!?!:huh:

A friend of mine is a teacher, and she told me that she was told by the superintendent of the school system to not use red ink because it has a 'damaging effect on children'.

:dry:

I remember as a kid, the teacher would throw chalk at us. I was hit many times during class. I think one time she tossed a book at someone.

I remember a substitute threw a nerf ball at me when i wouldnt shut up...it was epic..

I am left-handed. When I was learning how to write, my teacher used to break my pencils or tear the erasers off to get me to 'write the right way'. :ikyn

A friend of mine is a teacher, and she told me that she was told by the superintendent of the school system to not use red ink because it has a 'damaging effect on children'.

:dry:

wow...just.....wow.

:dry::dry::dry:

I loved my Nintendo!

Since we're talking about today's kids...a problem I have is all of this crap about childhood obesity.

We had gaming systems that we played for hours on end, we had happy meals that were really greasy and unhealthy that we ate more than we should...but there were also very few overweight kids back then.

I just don't get it.

are you talking about kids of the 80s and 90s? Obesity rates increased a lot back then. From 1985-mid 2000s. Actually, just recently obesity rates have stablized.

I am left-handed. When I was learning how to write, my teacher used to break my pencils or tear the erasers off to get me to 'write the right way'. :ikyn

:cmad:*****!

I'm a lefty too...I'm so offended by this teachers actions.

The adults nowadays are pissed at the adults from when they were kids for being "too harsh". Kids need a degree of "emotional scarring".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"