• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Top Ten Sci-Fi of All Time

mikethought

Civilian
Reaction score
I am new ( I keep saying that ) and trying to get a feel for the place. One of the things that I love is science fiction. So I am puttin' this thread out there to see what this community thinks is the best sci-fi ever. Please list your top ten sci-fi books of all time. No fantasy titles are needed as I feel that fantasy as genre sucks.:yay: Here's my list.

Dune by Frank Herbert

Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein

Stranger In A Strange Land By Robert Heinlein

Kindred by Octavia Butler

Ringworld By Larry Niven

Enders Game By Orson Scott Card

Coyote by Allen Steele

Forevever War By Joe Haldeman

Old Mans War by John Scalzi

2001 by Arthur C Clarke

Holla back and let's see what people like.

While I enjoy science fiction, I don't think I've read enough to have a top 10.

But one of the best ones I've read was The Diamond Age

Not familiar with that one, Addy, and I;m kinda in the same boat vis a vis top 10. But so far nothing even comes close to Dune. That book is just insanely good.

I've read Dune and that was great. I just haven't had the motivation to read the rest of the series written by Frank Herbert. Although I will not read the stuff written by KJA or Frank's son.

Foundation by Asimov definitely needs to be on any top 10 sci-fi list.

Dune is far superior to the other entries in the series, though I am quite partial to God Emporer of Dune. You might try that one as I know you are a bit of a political junkie and it is by far the most political of the books.

And I'm with you on the new stuff. I try not to read anything by Kevin J Anderson. He's a terribly writer by my estimation.

Dune
Ender's Game
Speaker for the Dead
Caves of Steel
Stranger in a Strange Land
Fahrenheit 451
The Ring of Charon
Inherit the Stars
Ringworld
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

I've always loved how the civilization in Brave New world uses psychology instead of genetic engineering to condition it population. Though that may be because dna either wasn't discovered or understood at the time it was written.

As for the best sci-fi ever? I'm going to have to go with either 2001 or Jurassic Park or 1984, just for their influence on our culture

HG Wells' time machine is also great.

In no Particular Order:

HG Wells: The Time Machine

HG Wells: The Island of Dr.Moreau

Isaac Aasimov: Caves of Steel

Robert Heinlen: Starship Troopers

Yevgeny Zamyatin: We

John Wyndham: Chocky

John Wyndham: The Midwhich Cuckoos

Kurt Vonnegut: Slaughterhouse 5

Douglas Adams: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Edgar Rice Burroughs: John Carter of Mars

Brave New World and Island by Aldous Huxley (even if the latter is not VERY sci-fi).
2001: A Space Odyssey and The Fountains of Paradise by Arthur C. Clarke
Jurassic Park and Sphere by Michael Crichton
In the Days of the Comet and The Time Machine by HG Wells

and I'm currently reading and enjoying The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein. Speaking of him, my all-time favorite novel, sci-fi or otherwise, is Stranger in a Strange Land.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"