The Amazing Spider-Man Uncle Ben's Killer

A sequel should be something that is welcome, to continue fleshing out a character or add to the story.

A sequel should not be something that is necessary to explain things that should have been explained and tied up in the first film.
(There are exceptions with adaptations such as the Hobbit- but even then, there were complete character and story arcs to make it feel fully satisfying emotionally and thematically)

Like I said, the first film should be able to stand alone and we just didn't get that with TASM.

Good points, but a film is (and should be) vastly different than a television series. With a film, you've got 2 hours or so to pack as much story and "character development" as possible. The script must be very tight and the themes and story arcs should provide a sense of emotional satisfaction by the end of the film.

Sadly, with TASM, we did not get this. Peter still hasn't learned his lesson about being responsible and we're promised that he will in the sequels. We're not too much further than where we began. This is sloppy, amatuerish writing.

There were a lot of things I liked about this movie, but then there were a lot of things I didn't like. Just because I generally liked the film doesn't mean I'm going to ignore obvious problems with the script.

They weren't certain that there would be a sequel to batman begins.

Nolan was signed on for a sequel(even though he was always uncertain if he'd want to return after BB), and a sequel was pretty much obvious when a sequel was given the green light even after a very mediocre $374M.

Don't see how this could even be a reason anyways as to why BB acted more of a standalone than TAS-M. Let alone, the writers and Warner Brothers thought there would be a Green Lantern 2 as well.

If they had only made Batman Begins and never even made the Dark Knight or TDKR, Begins (even with the Joker tease) would still feel like a complete stand alone movie (much like Batman: Year One)

Agree. It would have been just a film detailing the origins of Batman as he gets his first clue on his greatest enemy(Joker).

My biggest gripe with TASM was that it felt, as you said, incomplete. Meandering, half-finished character and story arcs left dangling. To me, this is an insult from the filmaker to the audience.

And agree. There was no conclusion to even Lizard as you could see hints of the Lizard serum still being active inside him with scales being on his neck still as well as him talking to the Man in the Shadows with the after credits scene. And once again, there was the anti-climatic "breaking of the promise" which has to be shown in a future sequel of what consequences could happen, as well as Ben's killer being on the loose still, the open-endedness of Peter's parents and Norman Osborn dying.

At least in Spider-Man 2, the only real cliffhanger in Raimi's series that felt opened could only be a hint just like the Joker card in showing that the Green Goblin legacy will live on through Harry Osborn.

But they knew a sequel to amazing spiderman would happen. It's not an insult. Treat it as part 1 of a series.

They knew a Batman sequel will happen as I just mentioned, it was still given a green light when BB couldn't even get $400M WW.

But when talking about an insult...it is an insult to the viewers(maybe not you) who wanted to see a complete film as we've never been given a first film in any series that didn't feel complete. Yes, even Star Wars episodes I and IV felt much more complete than TAS-M. And I won't count Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring since that was adapted from a book.

Last edited:
Prometheus did the same thing, as it introduced viewers to a new series with unresolved plot points at the end. Gives you an opportunity to theorize on what's going to happen, and wonder about what happened in that specific film. If you don't like it then... That's on you. Most people don't, as people are very impatient and need to know what happens NOW. I find that unfortunate.

It's not about being patient or impatient. It's about wanting a rewarding experience in the film you're watching.

I think we all know that the dangling plot points and unanswered questions that many people seem to have about Prometheus were not intentional or deliberate on the part of the filmmakers.

Prometheus did the same thing, as it introduced viewers to a new series with unresolved plot points at the end. Gives you an opportunity to theorize on what's going to happen, and wonder about what happened in that specific film. If you don't like it then... That's on you. Most people don't, as people are very impatient and need to know what happens NOW. I find that unfortunate.

It has nothing to do with being impatient. As Vid Electricz said, it's more about being rewarded after sitting through the film and feeling like the film as accomplished something when TAS-M really didn't accomplish anything, not even giving Peter a real lesson to learn and keep it to heart.

And as for Prometheus, I think the film did fall as it left certain spots wide open, which makes the same downfall as TAS-M, I would not argue that, BUT it did answer the biggest questions of the entire Alien universe of how the creature was created.

I am certain Peter will find the killer. I just hope they don't make him out to be Mysterio or Prowler. They can't possibly make that mistake again.

It has nothing to do with being impatient. As Vid Electricz said, it's more about being rewarded after sitting through the film and feeling like the film as accomplished something when TAS-M really didn't accomplish anything, not even giving Peter a real lesson to learn and keep it to heart.

And as for Prometheus, I think the film did fall as it left certain spots wide open, which makes the same downfall as TAS-M, I would not argue that, BUT it did answer the biggest questions of the entire Alien universe of how the creature was created.

The film did accomplish something. As for Prometheus, didn't they say a trilogy was planned? At least we know in Spider-Man plots were intentionally left unresolved.

It didn't answer jack about how the xeno is created. The "xeno" at the end of Prometheus looked different compared to the xenos we see in Alien/Aliens. Not to mention it was on the wrong planet so how it gets to LV-426 is beyond me. I liked Prometheus, but in no means is it a prequel of any kind to Alien.They should have made the giant facehugger thing attack the Engineer, have the Engineer recover, get in a ship, fly off and land on LV-426 and give birth to the first Alien. That would explain how they got there and who the Engineer on LV-426 is.

The film did accomplish something. As for Prometheus, didn't they say a trilogy was planned? At least we know in Spider-Man plots were intentionally left unresolved.

What did TAS-M accomplish?

It didn't answer jack about how the xeno is created. The "xeno" at the end of Prometheus looked different compared to the xenos we see in Alien/Aliens. Not to mention it was on the wrong planet so how it gets to LV-426 is beyond me. I liked Prometheus, but in no means is it a prequel of any kind to Alien.They should have made the giant facehugger thing attack the Engineer, have the Engineer recover, get in a ship, fly off and land on LV-426 and give birth to the first Alien. That would explain how they got there and who the Engineer on LV-426 is.

We see what happens with the creation of the xenomorph. Seeing how it got to the planet in the first Alien will be explored in the sequel, a sequel that is already announced.

What did TAS-M accomplish?

Peter Parker got his powers, and became Spider-Man. In the process, he took part in creating the Lizard, and by the end of the film he stopped him and his crazy plan to turn everyone else into Lizards. He is just beginning to learn what responsibility means. It also planted all of the seeds for things to come. While that may viewed negatively in the short term, in the long run it could be highly beneficial... PLANNING for the future. The Sam Raimi films didn't do that, and while SM1 is a much better film on its own, I don't think its a great "part 1" of a series.

I'm going to post this again:

http://fenskeland.blogspot.ca/2012/12/spider-movie-part-vii-serial-stand.html

Once the sequel comes out, and its good (if not SPECTACULAR), I think people will appreciate the first film a lot more for what it is.

Getting his powers and becoming Spider-Man isn't an accomplishment, nor would I say it was an accomplishment in the '02 film. And yes, he may have stopped Lizard, but in that process he made a promise for which he did not keep in the end.

And even if someone has an opinion and typed out a blog, I will certainly not appreciate TAS-M or ever buy it. It wasn't that good to begin with and not just because Webb decided to hold stuff off for the sequel.

Ouch. Sorry you feel that way. To each their own.

Get this... The killer, is actually Sandman? Anyone?

^ The funny thing is that the killer in Webb's series could always become a super villain as well.

Ouch. Sorry you feel that way. To each their own.

Ouch? You should know that I have always felt that way with TAS-M, lol. Even if I like some parts, as a whole, if I don't like the entirety, I won't be buying it. My same issue with Batman Returns as well.

And I want to go back to when you said his accomplishment was defeating the villain...could we really say that is an accomplishment? That's really just a giveaway just like any CBM where the hero takes down the villain.

And that's why I said that in my reply! What a shocker(and not a pun into thinking the killer will be Shocker).

Yeah, hopefully the don't make the killer a villain. It's too contrived.

Contrived: Deliberately created rather than arising naturally or spontaneously.

Contrived: Deliberately created rather than arising naturally or spontaneously.

I know the definition of contrived...I was attempting to be humorous. I probably should have included a smilie. Fail on my part. :csad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"