Update 7.5 causes su-42118-6 error aka your PS4 is borked

Teelie

Fish Food
Reaction score
PS4 firmware update 7.50 causes error SU-42118-6, more issues

I have not touched my PS4 (or any game console) in a week because I've been working ("essential" job but it beats not working) so I finally get a day off and try to update to the 7.50 patch only to get the "su-42118-6" error which means the Blu-ray drive is broke. Only it's not. Because I was playing Control just last week and it gave me this error the last time there was an update. I was able to work around that and get it to take luckily. And without the patch there is no internet connection so it screws up that too.

Fortunately for me it failed to work and I was able to go back to the console UI without trouble. It wants to try installing 7.50 again but not doing it. Not until they fix this error because my Blu-ray drive most certainly is working. Other people? Not so lucky. A number of complaints are it bricked their system or otherwise made the Blu-ray player inoperable.

Normally there might be a case where you go and ship it to a repair facility to get it working but that's all closed because coronavirus. So Sony instead has ****ed up a lot of systems for "minor performance enhancements" or some ****.

So an update on the update. Found a work around is to completely turn off the console then hold the power button for at least ten seconds until you hear two beeps and then do the patch update either via the internet, a usb drive or a disc. Updating via the internet seemed to work and my PS4 started up no problem afterwards. Popped Control back into the drive and got back to my last save point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"