The Amazing Spider-Man *Update* Your Rating for TASM

I'll keep this fairly brief as I've made these points countless times before.

I watched this again last night and I can't upgrade my ranking. I'd still say its about a 4.5 to 5.

- I forgot how terrible and unforgettable (of course I would forget!) the Captain Stacy death scene was. Extremely poor dramatic build-up and effect. It just sort of randomly happens in a poorly shot sequence.

- The action as a whole was just flat and very paint by numbers generic. Nothing memorable whatsoever.

- The quips were good when they happened, but fizzled out as the film went on. I also felt they moved from funny and sarcastic into acerbic and contemptuous very quickly. Webb needs to know where that line is. The example with the cop in the carjacker scene is apt. Spidey just comes across as an unlikeable smarta$$ and not someone we want to root for.

- Peter is too moody and sullen for much of the film. We hear all the time how people like Garfield's Spider-Man but not his Peter Parker. This is why. And although there are some great scenes between he and Gwen, there are just too many twitchy facial ticks and drawn out awkward pauses for my taste. It's great for an indie drama, but not so much for a well defined pre-existing character. Not to say I didn't appreciate what Webb and co. were going for, they just didn't pull it off like they could have.

- This entire movie was a series of bad misses vs. near misses. The real bad being the script, especially the Connors/Lizard arc and the terribly deperate parents mystery arc that just dies. I assume this narrative was what was going to really differentiate this reboot from Raimi's origin....They pretty much turned Connors into an unsympathetic joke and then gave him the cheap and lazy supervillian trait of wanting to take over the world (with his Lizard children). No emtionally resonant throughline here.

- The near misses are the great cast who were given no help by Webb and the writers. So much wasted potential here. I liked a lot of the performaces and chemistry, but they just couldn't elevate the uneven writing in this poorly conceived film.

Last edited:
4.5-5? Wow, that's harsh. To each their own though.

I'll keep this fairly brief as I've made these points countless times before.

I watched this again last night and I can't upgrade my ranking. I'd still say its about a 4.5 to 5.

- I forgot how terrible and unforgettable (of course I would forget!) the Captain Stacy death scene was. Extremely poor dramatic build-up and effect. It just sort of randomly happens in a poorly shot sequence.

- The action as a whole was just flat and very paint by numbers generic. Nothing memorable whatsoever.

- The quips were good when they happened, but fizzled out as the film went on. I also felt they moved from funny and sarcastic into acerbic and contemptuous very quickly. Webb needs to know where that line is. The example with the cop in the carjacker scene is apt. Spidey just comes across as an unlikeable smarta$$ and not someone we want to root for.

- Peter is too moody and sullen for much of the film. We hear all the time how people like Garfield's Spider-Man but not his Peter Parker. This is why. And although there are some great scenes between he and Gwen, there are just too many twitchy facial ticks and drawn out awkward pauses for my taste. It's great for an indie drama, but not so much for a well defined pre-existing character. Not to say I didn't appreciate what Webb and co. were going for, they just didn't pull it off like they could have.

- This entire movie was a series of bad misses vs. near misses. The real bad being the script, especially the Connors/Lizard arc and the terribly deperate parents mystery arc that just dies. I assume this narrative was what was going to really differentiate this reboot from Raimi's origin....They pretty much turned Connors into an unsympathetic joke and then gave him the cheap and lazy supervillian trait of wanting to take over the world (with his Lizard children). No emtionally resonant throughline here.

- The near misses are the great cast who were given no help by Webb and the writers. So much wasted potential here. I liked a lot of the performaces and chemistry, but they just couldn't elevate the uneven writing in this poorly conceived film.

Agree on most counts, especially the bold.

I actually liked the action; it was one of the few positives of the movie, but didn't come close to saving it for me.

I have to disagree about Webb… I think he is the reason why the film wasn't a failure.

I have to disagree about Webb… I think he is the reason why the film wasn't a failure.

You are right :up:

I personally loved this film, Andrew and Emma chemistry i what most made me happy about TASM and Marc is doing well as director, now that he retelled the origin he can build bigger things and that is what he is doing with TASM2.

8.5 is my Mark ;)

Last edited:
The only thing that hurt TASM1 in my opinion was the script. The acting and directing were superb, and I really can't wait to see what they have in store for us in TASM2.

I guess we'll agree to disagree then. I thought his style was both unremarkable and sterile.

The only thing that hurt TASM1 in my opinion was the script. The acting and directing were superb, and I really can't wait to see what they have in store for us in TASM2.

That disagree here as well. The acting was a mixed bag for me partly because of the script issues(and otherwise because some of them just can't act, i.e. Chris Zylka). Without question, the actors in this franchise are of a higher caliber than what we had in the Raimi trilogy, but they weren't given much to work with. Field, Sheen, Leary, and the entire cast outside of Garfield had lacking performances due to the writing. Stone was criminally shortchanged; the poor woman didn't have much to do outside of being Peter's sounding board. She's a very talented actress with plenty of range, but it just wasn't on display here.

For what it's worth, the sequel seems to be addressing some of my issues with the first one; I liked what I saw of the performances and the writing from the trailer.

I guess we will have to disagree here, but that's fine. To each their own. :up:

Glad you like what you see with the trailers though.

I just watched it for the first time and I rate it a 2/5. Though this is a ten point scale, so I guess I would give it a four.

For me, still a 3/5. Very mixed bag. Has some moments of brilliance, and other moments of absurd stupidity.

I've heard from a couple of people who saw TASM2 that said it made them appreciate the first movie a little bit more. Let's see if it does the same for other people.

7.5 is still my rating. I'm hoping TASM2 at least pushes up into the 8 territory.

Right now I go back and forth between 7.5 and 8/10. If I like TASM2 maybe my rating can stay at a solid 8/10, y'know?

I would say somewhere between 8 and 8.5. Hasn't changed much since I first saw it. I still really like it, but there are a few minor things that keeps it from being higher. It's not as good as SM2, but I would probably hold it on par with SM1.

3/5

It's a weird movie. I watch it, and despite my massive issues with it..I can enjoy it. But when I think about it, I don't care for it. :huh:

Overall it's an ok film, but it made unnecessary mistakes that could have easily been avoided.

3/5 sounds like a pretty good rating for someone who doesn't seem to like it very much. I was expecting a 1/5 from you. lol

I don't hate TASM. It's my least favorite Spider-Man movie (as of this moment), but it certainly isn't bad. I'm harsh on it, but that's because I was hoping for it to be the best at the time, as Sony and Webb knew what worked- and what didn't, and what we got was "It's better than SM3 but not anywhere near as good as SM1/SM2."

1/5 is for some trite like Wolverine Origins or Jonah Hex lol

I don't think I even hate X-Men Origins that much. It's not Batman and Robin territory, at least IMO.

Still rate it a 8-9/10.

The more serious tone works in its favour. The way peter becomes spiderman is far more interesting and exciting. Yes, the way bens death was handled was clunky, but the before and after was excellent.

Moments in the film like peter coming home to find aunt may waiting for him after the car jacker scene was a real sad moment. That scene had more emotional weight in it than the previous films combined.

Moments like how spidey catches the carjacker, messes with him, and then webs his face and gives that 'look'. The look of a spider catches his prey and maybe 'devour him'. You didnt see spiderman yet, you saw a kid out for vengeance. Which leads me to...

The stacey dinner scene. That talk with capt stacey, you could see Peter, who was arrogant enough to think he's helping the cops, get put down (though stacey doesn't know) by being told all he's dong is going on a revenge mission and damaging the cops hard work. That hes not a hero. And you see it hit home a little. Its followed by the bridge scene and spidey saving a boy and reuniting him with his father. And then you see that moment between them and spideys reaction. 'Im spider-man', as if for the first time, he felt like a proper hero. Finished with him in his room, looking at his mask, reflection on what was said, what was done, what has happened.

The humour. The quips in the film where really good. TASM didnt over do it, and good. I think, with what the had to do, it was the right amount.

Gwen Stacey. We all ow Garfield was great. No point in talking about him except he was just that, great. More importantly was the leading lady. Emma Stone did such a great job and Gwen was such a step up from the previous female leading character. Her role was more important than simple damsel role. She was smart, interesting and held her own in the film.

The score. James Horner, for me, did a great job on the score. I think the main theme was above the generic hero themes we've heard (only Zimmer has done anything worthwhile with MOS and the TDK trilogy in the last 20 years of CB films IMO). I'm looking forward to hearing Zimmers score in action for TASM2, but im still gutted that we wont hear how is score would have developed in TASM2.

The damage. I enjoyed seeing pete/spidey get hurt. Seeing the cuts, bruises and aches after his crime fighting. Its something i hope we see again in the sequel.

The action. The action was short. You wish it could have lasted longer at times. But it was so exciting to see spidey move in ways we'd never see before. Like the way he webbed the lizard at the school. That was crazy cool.

Its, for me, the best spidey film. Unlike the previous films, my enjoyment for this hasnt diminished the way it did for the previous films a few years after seeing them each at the cinema.

Yeah, i loved this film. It has its issues, but the good far outweigh the bad. I hope that what made this film ace, the sequel does better (as all sequels should).

It's the best Spider-Man film, good not great but could have been great. Raimi's first two were good too.

Something interesting, the average rating on RT by users is the highest of any film :grin:

I give it a 6-7 out of 10 still.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/03/29/will-the-new-spider-man-movie-collapse-under-the-w.aspx
If you find it he mentions the average rating by the audience /5 being higher, don't know why you brought up /10 as RT doesn't work that way.

:huh:

What are you talking about?

Kinda expected your score to drop from 7.5, you kinda became more anti-TASM lol.

No I'm more anti-TASM 2 based on everything I've seen and heard. That may change when I see the movie. But my opinion of TASM has not changed overall.

Very flawed but decent movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"