Updating Dick

TheDemon'sHead

automaton
Reaction score
I'm probably going to get killed for this thread...

For a while I've been thinking that DC should update the name Dick Grayson to Rick Grayson.

With DC constantly updating and revising characters it wouldn't be difficult to throw in a name change. The name "Dick" obviously carries different connotations in today's world than it did over 60 years ago. It's pretty outdated and I doubt anyone in today's day and age would actually name their child "Dick".

The Incredible Hulk TV show did it by changing "Bruce" to "David" after they thought that "Bruce" sounded too homosexual.

Thoughts?

I'm probably going to get killed for this thread...

For a while I've been thinking that DC should update the name Dick Grayson to Rick Grayson.

With DC constantly updating and revising characters it wouldn't be difficult to throw in a name change. The name "Dick" obviously carries different connotations in today's world than it did over 60 years ago. It's pretty outdated and I doubt anyone in today's day and age would actually name their child "Dick".

The Incredible Hulk TV show did it by changing "Bruce" to "David" after they thought that "Bruce" sounded too homosexual.

Thoughts?
Why change it to Rick when his actual name is Richard.

Batman & Robin even made a joke about it.

Batman & Robin.

thats stupid. comic book fans love dick. dont take away our dick.

I don't think it's a big deal, but I wouldn't complain if it was changed.

Who cares if 12 yr olds think it's funny. How old are we? It's his goddamn name.

And yeah I know of real people called Dick. You have to take them very seriously. It's a very manly name.

This reminds me I have to update my dick later on.

You're right about Incredible Hulk doing it...for the stupidest god damn reason ever, so that's not a very good example. Leave dick alone :mad;

Rick Grayson... I can live with it. It would take a while for people to forget "Dick Grayson" and replace it in their collective pop culture minds with "Rick Grayson" but I can live with it.

Of course, if he had always been "Rick Grayson" it would have saved DC the hassle of debating changing his name.

Actually they changed Bruce Banner to David Banner because the producers thought the name was too alliterative. His name is Richard “Dick” Grayson and I don’t really have a problem with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"