• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

User your Computer for the World...on Team Hype!

Malice

BMFH
Reaction score
Greetings all.

Last night, I setup a team called SuperHero Hype! on a service called "BOINC"....
yea, amusing....Matt...get those thoughts out of your head...

BOINC stands for Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing

BOINC is the infrastructure for what we call GRID computing. Grid Computing is where you dice up the processing that needs to be done on one large supercomputer into really tiny small bites...something a standard desktop PC and churn thru. This is so cheap, to have your computer do it, and not need a mainframe to do the work.

Now...what does that mean to you? It means, you can help us....use YOUR computer to help solve problems like World Hunger....Finding cures to diseases, and even, looking for life in space. The point is, your computer can run BOINC....which then downloads little packets of work to do....it "processes" those, and sends the info back all with little or no attention to you.

You can join any project that is setup on BOINC, go HERE to see a few projects.

Why have I done this?

I want to get people from SuperHero Hype! to install BOINC....then join the SuperHero Hype! team and band together to help solve some problems.

Just so you all know...
I set the team up and currently having two of my computers running it....
I am working the three projects at the moment:

Milkyway@Home
he goal of Milkyway@Home is to use the BOINC platform to harness volunteered computing resources in creating a highly accurate three dimensional model of the Milky Way galaxy using data gathered by the Sloan Digital Sky Survey. This project enables research in both astroinformatics and computer science

SHA-1 Collision Search Graz
Search for collisions (weaknesses) in the widely used SHA-1 hash function.

PrimeGrid
PrimeGrid's primary goal is to bring the excitement of prime finding to the "everyday" computer user. By simply downloading and installing BOINC and attaching to the PrimeGrid project, participants can choose from a variety of prime forms to search. With a little patience, you may find a large or even record breaking prime and enter into Chris Caldwell's The Largest Known Primes Database as a Titan!

I will add more projects to my scope, once the SuperHero Hype! team I created propogates to other servers.....

NOW...POST here if you are interested in joining me and other with HYPE!

Can we set another one up called adam's Blender animations?

Come on people! Anyone want to join me in searching for a cure for malaria...or searching for exterrestrial life?

There are all sorts of projects, and you really don't have to do anything other than set it up.

My current stats
sig1693301.gif

I would love to get others...who leave their machine on, to churn some numbers with me!

Noble effort boss but I try to have my computer stripped to the bare minimum.

Some people treat their computers like a woman. :hehe:

Did D-Man22 just tell me I should pee on my computer?

what are some other things you considered signing on for but didn't Malice? this is interesting to say the least

but how safe is it? in regards to privacy, personal data, etc?

what are some other things you considered signing on for but didn't Malice? this is interesting to say the least

but how safe is it? in regards to privacy, personal data, etc?

Its extremely safe...you can keep your info private if you don't want it public.
Here are a few...just copying text

Seti@Home
SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) is a scientific area whose goal is to detect intelligent life outside Earth. One approach, known as radio SETI, uses radio telescopes to listen for narrow-bandwidth radio signals from space. Such signals are not known to occur naturally, so a detection would provide evidence of extraterrestrial technology.

Rosetta@Home
Rosetta@home needs your help to determine the 3-dimensional shape of proteins as part of research that may ultimately contribute to cures for major human diseases such as AIDS / HIV, Malaria, Cancer, and Alzheimer's.

Einstein@home
According to Albert Einstein, we live in a universe full of gravitational waves. He suggested that the movements of heavy objects, such as black holes and dense stars, create waves that change space and time. We have a chance to detect these waves, but we need your help to do it!

With Einstein@home, you can contribute your computer's idle time to a search for spinning neutron stars (also called pulsars) using data from the LIGO and GEO gravitational wave detectors. Einstein@home is a World Year of Physics 2005 project supported by the American Physical Society (APS) and by a number of international organizations.

Climateprediction.net
Climateprediction.net is computing a massive environmental model intended to forecast climate conditions in the 21st century.

Climate change, and our response to it, are issues of global importance, affecting food production, water resources, ecosystems, energy demand, insurance costs and much else. There is broad scientific consensus that the Earth will probably warm over the coming century; climateprediction.net should, for the first time, tell us what is most likely to happen.

BBC Climate Change
The same model that the Met Office uses to make daily weather forecasts has been adapted to run on home PCs. The model incorporates many variable parameters, allowing thousands of sets of conditions. Your computer will run one individual set of conditions-- in effect your individual version of how the world's climate works-- and then report back to the research team what it calculates. This experiment was described on the BBC television documentary Meltdown (BBC-4, February 20th, 2006). Note: workunits require several months of screensaver time; faster computers recommended.

LHC@home
CERN (European Center for Nuclear Research) is currently constructing the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), the world's largest and most powerful particle accelerator. LHC@home helps construction of the LHC by simulating how particles travel through the 27 km long accelerator tunnel. With the help of these calculations, the magnets that control the particle beam can be calibrated with greater precision, making it possible to smash together individual atoms at nearly the speed of light. By observing the aftermath of these collisions, physicists hope to learn what matter is made of and what forces hold it together.

Predictor@home
Predictor@home seeks to address critical biomedical questions of protein related diseases such as Cancer. Specifically, P@H uses distributed computing resources to test and evaluate new algorithms and methods for "protein folding": that is, new ways of predicting protein structure from amino acid sequence. Improved understanding of the relationship between protein structure and sequence will open new avenues of inquiry and discovery in biology and medicine, by making visible for the first time the basic mechanics of many essential life functions.

Spinhenge
Spinhenge is researching the behavior of nano-magnetic molecules (or "single magnetic molecules"). These molecules may be used to develop tiny magnetic switches, with applications ranging from medicine (ex. local tumor chemotherapy), to computer technology (ex. miniature memory modules), to biotechnology.

Quantum Monte Carlo
Reactions between molecules are important for virtually all parts of our lives. The structure and reactivity of molecules can be predicted by Quantum Chemistry, but the solution of the vastly complex equations of Quantum Theory often require huge amounts of computing power. This project seeks to raise the necessary computing time in order to further develop the very promising Quantum Monte Carlo (QMC) method for general use in Quantum Chemistry.

SZTAKI Desktop Grid

SZTAKI Desktop Grid searches for generalized binary number systems-- the aim of the project is to find all generalized binary number systems up to dimension 11. It is hoped that the results will have application in data compression, coding, and cryptography, and that the project will lead to a deeper understanding of the mathematics of generalized number systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"