• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Venom - where to start?

cnctdsns

Civilian
Reaction score
Hello! I'm new to the board so thought I'd say hi.

I'm currently re-visiting a lot of comics and graphic novels that have been lost or sold over time. My favourite (Marvel) character is Venom and instead of tracking down every issue on eBay, I'm trying to work out which trade paperback or collected editions that give the best/correct or full history of Venom.

XTtgMH6.jpg

I just ordered 'The Amazing Spider-Man: Birth of Venom' off eBay, can anyone suggest a good place to carry on reading? I'm tempted to buy 'The Official Marvel Graphic Novel Collection #9' as it seems to collect more stories than the version I bought.

As with any further character reading, there's a ton of crossovers that I'll probably miss, so I've been using Wikipedia as a guide for now -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venom_(comic_book)#Collected_editions
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Venom_titles

Thanks!

If you subscribe to Marvel Unlimited, you can read them all for one flat fee. That way you can switch between Amazing Spider-Man, Spectacular Spider-Man, and Web of Spider-Man without issue.

I know it's a bit different but I would recommend the run of Agent Venom.

It was a good revitalisation of two characters in one and it looks like he could be here to stay.

Venom is one of those poor characters who gets redesigned and abused regularly. The idea of the living suit for Spider-Man was pretty lame, and the creation of Venom was a brilliant way to use the idea. The original incarnation of Venom and Eddie Brock was just fine, and could have grown from there easily.

But then we had Scorpion/Venom, which was horrible, a bazillion Venom babies, it just got to be ludicrous. I don't NOT like the symbiotic relationship with Flash...but it's no Eddie.

I'm afraid I'm not very knowledgeable on Venom from the Brock days, the Agent Venom series was outstanding, especially Remender's run, and he was great in Thunderbolts and Dark Avengers while Gargan had the suit.

Can anyone actually explain the appeal of Venom, beyond the hulking, monster visual? Seriously, what made this character so popular? Totally serious, always came off like a super villain with a learning disability or something. Eddie and the symbiote came across like they were more dumb together than separate even.

Can anyone actually explain the appeal of Venom, beyond the hulking, monster visual? Seriously, what made this character so popular? Totally serious, always came off like a super villain with a learning disability or something. Eddie and the symbiote came across like they were more dumb together than separate even.

The animated TV show made me a fan as a kid. He was like the anti spidey to me. Not to mention he looked cool as **** back then lol Remenders Run with the character though really made him one of my favs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"