WandaVision WandaVision: Season 1, Episode 8 "Previously On" (spoilers)

If a mutant is someone who is born with their powers, then how would Wanda know whether she's a mutant or really a witch if her powers manifest in the same way? How would anyone know what they were to be attributed to?

For example, Samantha in Bewitched was born a witch. She didn't acquire her powers as the result of an accident or by learning it. Now she would never class herself as anything other than a witch, but wouldn't she by the X-Men definition be classed as a mutant since she was born that way?

Or is Elsa from Frozen a mutant or just someone born with elemental powers? If Agatha were born a witch, wouldn't she by definition be a mutant? But she'd never call herself that.

Does it really matter what they call themselves and is there any real difference? Who is to say whether Wanda is a witch or a mutant?

If a mutant is someone who is born with their powers, then how would Wanda know whether she's a mutant or really a witch if her powers manifest in the same way? How would anyone know what they were to be attributed to?

For example, Samantha in Bewitched was born a witch. She didn't acquire her powers as the result of an accident or by learning it. Now she would never class herself as anything other than a witch, but wouldn't she by the X-Men definition be classed as a mutant since she was born that way?

Or is Elsa from Frozen a mutant or just someone born with elemental powers? If Agatha were born a witch, wouldn't she by definition be a mutant? But she'd never call herself that.

Does it really matter what they call themselves and is there any real difference? Who is to say whether Wanda is a witch or a mutant?

The X-Gene. If she has it, mutant. If she doesn't, witch.

From what I understand from the comics, she's not a mutant. She learned her magic.

The X-Gene. If she has it, mutant. If she doesn't, witch.

From what I understand from the comics, she's not a mutant. She learned her magic.

She didn't learn it in the MCU though it would seem. She may have developed her skills like anyone with natural talent would do. But she could alter the probability of the bomb detonating. But that could still make her like Samantha in Bewitched who was born with it but not a mutant.

Last edited:
She didn't learn it in the MCU though it would seem. She may have developed her skills like anyone with natural talent would do. But she could alter the probability of the bomb detonating. But that could still make her like Samantha in Bewitched or who was born with it but not a mutant.

Since they haven't mentioned the word mutant or anything to do with genes/genetics/DNA, I'm going to assume they're going with the witch aspect.

Since they haven't mentioned the word mutant or anything to do with genes/genetics/DNA, I'm going to assume they're going with the witch aspect.

Why would we need to assume anything? They outright stated she had magical talent.

Why would we need to assume anything? They outright stated she had magical talent.

It seems to be a hotly contested issue of whether Wanda is a witch or a mutant.

I don't even know why mutant entered into the discussion.

Agatha sort of did but not directly. I forget the exact quote but she mentions the stone awoke something in Wanda that would've otherwise died on the vine. Did it awaken dormant witch power or X gene is a question.

The bomb may mean everything or may mean nothing. We don't really know if it was faulty or she unknowingly altered the probability it would explode. If she did alter the probability you could argue mutant because up to that point she had no training. If it was faulty then it's not an example of anything. I'd say there was a larger chance it was faulty if it were an MCU Hammer Tech bomb though. Also after the stone gave her powers we don't really see any training of spells or incantations. Instead we see her just learn through trial and error. This may further support mutant as we saw what Dr. Strange went through to learn magic and assume he's not a mutant. Though we also don't know, and really don't question, if there is something inside him which grants him ability to be magical when compared to the average person practicing magic.

Because everyone is so eager to make her one and the MCU to tackle the X-Men.

Because everyone is so eager to make her one and the MCU to tackle the X-Men.

I get that, but there's opportunity for others to be mutants. It doesn't have to be Wanda. They could make Pietro the mutant and give Wanda the ability to unlock the mutant gene.

Maybe Wanda is a witch and Pietro is a mutant and that's how they both withstood the mind stone (unless she protected him).

On another note, if the Olsen twins were much younger (eg of the age they were in the Mary-Kate and Ashley show) and were the younger sisters of Lizzie, would one of them have been used to play the younger Wanda Maximoff in the flashback instead of getting a completely separate actress?

It could be like a reverse of what some wanted with Fuller House with getting Elizabeth Olsen to play the grown up version of their character on Full House if they weren't available.

I don't think Pietro was a mutant, a witch or anything really. Wanda didn't want to get separated from her brother so she subconsciously powered him up with a time dilation hex. This was the same hex Wanda used to give Vision superspeed and Agatha used to create Fietro.

I'm actually surprised that people still think there's a chance that Wanda could be a mutant. I never thought that would actually happen once she entered the MCU. It's clearly been established that she is a witch. The X-Men (or whatever else they'll be called) aren't probably joining the MCU for at least five years. By then I think Olsen will be done being the Scarlet Witch.

Ok I've got a theory about Evan Peters...

Firstly I don't think the Foxverse is going to form part of the MCU because:

a) it's reached its conclusion with some key casualties; and
b) its timeline is a mess and I don't think Feige would want anything to do with it.

But.....we do know that Deadpool will be part of the MCU. Some of the Foxverse cast cameoed in Deadpool 1 in the background in the X-Mansion, including Evan Peters.

So.....my theory is that to the extent possible Fiege will try and use some of those cast members but they will have a completely different backstory.

Erm like Deadpool.....

And.....how good would it be that the Luke Skywalker moment was...........Deadpool

Deadpool tonally would be too Meta and comedic. and we are pretty much past that point in the show.

Its only hotly contested because some X-Men fans *really really* want to read things into this show that are not there. Which. . . kind of makes me sad. Here we have a bunch of really awesome performances, especially by *the main character who this story is entirely about, Wanda Maximoff*. . . and the only thing some people want is for her to be used as a backdoor mechanism to introduce a bunch of people who have essentially nothing to do with her. "Hey, Wanda, could you stop engaging in the human challenge of processing grief already? I want you to serve as a dehumanized tool to deliver me my own desires!"

Yes, yes, I know this is me being a little harsh and unfair. Its still my response to this. . . deluge of "the only thing that matters is mutants" fandom trend.

I don't think Pietro was a mutant, a witch or anything really. Wanda didn't want to get separated from her brother so she subconsciously powered him up with a time dilation hex. This was the same hex Wanda used to give Vision superspeed and Agatha used to create Fietro.

I don't think *she* did that, as such. Rather, I suspect her contact with the Mind Stone gave it a nudge, so that the Mind Stone recognized him as related and didn't fry his brain. Same essential idea, but less "Wanda days after gaining powers could already give full blown super powers to other people".

I don't think *she* did that, as such. Rather, I suspect her contact with the Mind Stone gave it a nudge, so that the Mind Stone recognized him as related and didn't fry his brain. Same essential idea, but less "Wanda days after gaining powers could already give full blown super powers to other people".

She was able to toss off a half decent probability hex as a pre teen, so the idea of her powering up her brother years later seems within the realm of possibility. We've seen so many folks with speed powers tied to witches I've got to think it ain't a coinkydink.

"Deadpool tonally would be too Meta and comedic. and we are pretty much past that point in the show."

Not if the point of the show is to introduce mutants and Deadpool is the first mutant in the MCU. So it could make sense.

Generally though I do think Feige wlll try and use some of the Foxverse cast because there's a lot of goodwill there, the actors are associated with the characters, and have done a very good in most cases.

But I just can't seem him taking the continuity because, well, there is none.

Maybe at Wanda's lowest point of her grief when she first showed up at Westview and broke down, Deadpool should've popped up and made some tactless comment. :o

^I would blame that more on guys like Singer and Kinberg than on any of the actors. Otherwise, agreed. No goodwill.
Not if the point of the show is to introduce mutants and Deadpool is the first mutant in the MCU. So it could make sense.
Except, let's remember that Deadpool isn't really a mutant, but a mutate who got his powers awakened through Weapon X's heavy, invasive genetic tampering. More like Luke Cage. Or Rocket Raccoon.

^I would blame that more on guys like Singer and Kinberg than on any of the actors. Otherwise, agreed. No goodwill.

Except, let's remember that Deadpool isn't really a mutant, but a mutate who got his powers awakened through Weapon X's heavy, invasive genetic tampering. More like Luke Cage. Or Rocket Raccoon.

The impression I got from the two Deadpool movies is that, in the "X-verse" as portrayed there? Mutation and mutants are the thing around which superhuman powers revolve. Its not that there are *no* other types of superhumans. . . but by and large, if you don't get you oomph from the x-gene, you get it from some science work tangentially connected to the x-gene. Thus why Deadpool is considered by all involved to be a mutant, even though he got his powers artificially. He still has an x-gene, and he still functions as a mutant, so he's a mutant, just an induced one. The world there doesn't make a distinction between flavors of "innate genetic powers".

The Deadpool movies have always been extremely ambiguous about its relationship with the other X-movies, though (the Stewart or McAvoy joke is an example of that). I think they can suddenly appear in the MCU if they wanted to with just an offhand joke.

Why do people assume Peters’ Quicksilver isn’t from the Fox Universe? Agatha just says she can’t bring people back from the dead and that she was just his “eyes and ears”. She didn’t give him his powers so I’m still confident he is from the Fox Universe and they’re saving the reveal for the finale.

i was wondering if when Wanda created her little version of Westview in her grief if maybe she pulled him out of the Fox universe accidentally and brought him there. He was the only one Agatha manipulated that required her using lace and maybe it was because he wasn’t of their world?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"