Warner Bros to reboot Willy Wonka

Zero_Effect

Sidekick
Reaction score
Sources tell Variety that Warner Bros. has acquired the rights to the “Willy Wonka” IP from the Roald Dahl Estate and is planning a new movie centered around the eccentric character.

Heyman will produce. Michael Siegel, who is the manager of the Dahl Estate, will exec produce along with Kevin McCormick. “The Secret Life of Pets” scribe Simon Rich is penning the script. Courtenay Valenti is overseeing the project for the studio.

Sources reveal that the film will not be an origin tale, but a standalone movie focused on Wonka and his early adventures. It’s unknown who from the original book series, other than Wonka, will be involved in the project. If the reboot is a hit, it seems likely that characters like Charlie could be seen in future installments of a possible franchise.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/willy-wonka-new-movie-david-heyman-warner-bros-1201894143/

Do people love Wonka that much?

I have read the books. I liked both movies although I think the first with Gene Wilder was better (hard to top Gene's performance). I do not have a problem with them remaking the series again. It is not like this was a movie first and then they are remaking it.

They gave it a try with Depp but it fell short and so depending on who they get to make this next one it might be good. Doubtful it will be better than Gene but I won't object to seeing another take.

Gene Wilder was a better Wonka than Depp but Burton's film is superior in almost every way than the 1971 version. It's much closer to the book in story and tone.

I'd much rather they just adapt Great Glass Elevator than do some separate early years adventure.

Mark Rylance as Wonka, directed by Wes Anderson...

... yeah, that'll never happen.

Do people love Wonka that much?

Last movie was awful and still able to make over 200 million in the U.S. and over 400 million world wide. The original was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant". So i would say this has a good following. Not sure how this new reboot will go though it is kind of a departure.

Mark Rylance as Wonka, directed by Wes Anderson...

... yeah, that'll never happen.

I dont know about mark rylance but wes anderson? Thatd be dope.

For some reason I think taika waititi and Jemaine Clement could do something great with this. Maybe even the masters of nailing unnecessary movies Lord and Miller.

But like you said, not gonna happen.

Gene Wilder was a better Wonka than Depp but Burton's film is superior in almost every way than the 1971 version. It's much closer to the book in story and tone.

I'd much rather they just adapt Great Glass Elevator than do some separate early years adventure.

That sorta is not true. For everything that version got right, Burton added more stuff that WAS NOT EVEN IN THE BOOKS into the movie.

Sources tell Variety that Warner Bros. has acquired the rights to the “Willy Wonka” IP from the Roald Dahl Estate and is planning a new movie centered around the eccentric character.

Heyman will produce. Michael Siegel, who is the manager of the Dahl Estate, will exec produce along with Kevin McCormick. “The Secret Life of Pets” scribe Simon Rich is penning the script. Courtenay Valenti is overseeing the project for the studio.

Sources reveal that the film will not be an origin tale, but a standalone movie focused on Wonka and his early adventures. It’s unknown who from the original book series, other than Wonka, will be involved in the project. If the reboot is a hit, it seems likely that characters like Charlie could be seen in future installments of a possible franchise.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/willy-wonka-new-movie-david-heyman-warner-bros-1201894143/

Why?

Don't care that they're continuing this property. From what it sounds like it's not a reboot, but of course that's how the media will brand it.

But I think it's not a good look to be revealed to be working on it so soon after Wilder's death

:csad: they are going to cast Lady Gaga, aren't they?

Im surprised this isn't already an animated film. Oompa Loompas would be the new Minions.

Seems like it could overlap with their Fantastic Beast movie. Whacky explorer encounters strange creatures and all.

Roald Dahl actually was not a fan of the Gene Wilder movie so in his will it actually says that Great Glass Elevator cannot be adapted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"