Weakest MCU film?

i still cannot believe the Capt. marvel director/writers sought to tell how Nick Fury lost his eye to a mere cat scratch ..!! Unbelievable !! :down

By that point in the movie I had already checked out lol even when Ronan had his stand off with Carol at the end I was like "Yeah, whatever."

If Gunn had made the movie it would have been unrecognizable compared to what we got.

By that point in the movie I had already checked out lol even when Ronan had his stand off with Carol at the end I was like "Yeah, whatever."

If Gunn had made the movie it would have been unrecognizable compared to what we got.

Prefer his style all you want, but if you're going to keep throwing Gunn out there as the example of how to do it better you should probably stop complaining about Captain Marvel changing the source material. Gunn's Guardians films are some of the *least* faithful movies in the MCU.

*cough* I would say the issue with Captain Marvel is that it had two plots smashed together. They had the material for both "The Origin of Captain Marvel" and "Captain Marvel, Champion of the Kree", and either of them could have worked as a movie. Instead of picking, they did both, and not only did this mean there was too much plot to fit in one movie, but the underlying themes and demands of those plots were incompatible. Thus you get weird structural problems like "The main plot requires audience sympathy and understanding of the heroine to work, but sticks all the origin storytelling that would provide such into second act flashbacks, thus forcing the entire first act to hinge on some very vague assumed empathy and character shortcuts". Like, sure, you can guess that the Kree are not the good guys based on genre savviness or recollections of GOTG, but even that leaves you adrift for a good third of the movie on "So, if I assume the Kree are the villains, why should I care about this particular Kree soldier, who doesn't especially stand out from the rest?"

Pretty much everything that doesn't work in the movie arises from this original sin. They should have just bitten the bullet and told a conventional origin story, then saved a Kree brainwashing tale for the sequel.

While what you say about the second act flashbacks is true on first viewing, it is also what has made me grow to really like the movie on repeat viewings. CM is really under rated for me.

It wasn't faithful to the comics at all. It butchered Mar-Vell, repositioned Talos thus undermining the Sinister presence of the Skrulls, and worst of all made Carol a Tesseract-powered mutant. Ridiculous. All nonsense.

I'm just glad Gunn is doing Adam Warlock and the Russos handled Thanos wonderfully. Boden and Fleck destroyed the Captain Marvel mythos and made it's star the most dislikable Avenger yet.
Why is she "dislikable"?

i still cannot believe the Capt. marvel director/writers sought to tell how Nick Fury lost his eye to a mere cat scratch ..!! Unbelievable !! :down
What's hard to believe? There was never some great expectation how he lost his eye. It's a clever joke on the concept of expectations, built up in your own mind, for no reason. You saw "cool scar" and assumed he had to lose it in some crazy manner. That's on you.

What's hard to believe? There was never some great expectation how he lost his eye. It's a clever joke on the concept of expectations, built up in your own mind, for no reason. You saw "cool scar" and assumed he had to lose it in some crazy manner. That's on you.

It wasn't clever nor funny. Just awful. It's just one of a long series of misfires that comprises the movie Captain Marvel.

It wasn't clever nor funny. Just awful. It's just one of a long series of misfires that comprises the movie Captain Marvel.
This is why I see "how Nick Fury lost his eye" trending everyday, without rage. Because it went over so poorly. Just like the movie that made as much as a Spider-Man sequel. :o

You think it's awful, but you also think Carol needs to be humbled, so...

Eh. There was an implication in WS that something serious and important happened that caused Fury to lose his eye. You can't deny that.

It's also a bit of a continuity goof because in WS there's a scene with Fury talking about Pierce, and how this picture was taken when Pierce made him head of shield. As you can see, he has two eyes.
l5visidzaiq11.png

Last edited:
This is why I see "how Nick Fury lost his eye" trending everyday, without rage. Because it went over so poorly. Just like the movie that made as much as a Spider-Man sequel. :o

You think it's awful, but you also think Carol needs to be humbled, so...

I don't think Wonder Woman needs to learn humility. I don't think Scarlet Witch needs to learn humility. I don't think Gamora needs to learn humility. Do you see a pattern forming?

I love the character of Carol Danvers. I heavily dislike the version of Carol Danvers we've been given via Captain Marvel by Boden & Fleck.

In 4 episodes of Hawkeye, Kate Bishop is already a far superior character to MCU Carol. Why? Better writing and characterization.

I voted for all of the above

I'd also say Iron Man 3, Age of Ultron and Doctor Strange weren't making any lasting impressions either

Why is she "dislikable"?

I find the character rather charming. Quirky with a wry sense of humor. Very different from most other characters. I imagine one might develop a different perspective if you were flying around the universe as opposed to hanging out in West Los Angeles (like I do). :funny:

Finally got to see Eternals. My answer remains unchanged, IM3 and Thor 2 are by far the worst MCU movies

Carol was never "Tesseract-powered" in the comics. That reveal was laughable. Biden and Fleck don't have a clue. Hearing interviews with them on how they took creative licenses to make the story more Carol-centric was like listening to Josh Trank explain his idiotic reasons for adapting FF the way he did (body horror from being morbidly obese as a teen).

Fleck and Biden had no business directing Captain Marvel. Should have been Gunn or Whedon. Someone who actually likes and understands these characters.

I just can't help but find this type of fan response TODAY after over twenty straight years of Marvel and DC film and TV adaptations incredibly silly.

This comes from a person well known around here who:

1. Thinks half of the MCU is just... Okayish on it's best day, bland pablum on its worst. The other half ranges from decent to amazing... But that's not as amazing a quality batting average as the fans like to make out. A few years pass and inevitably we get the reviews changed from "This is the MCU firing on all cylinders! Greatest, most heartfelt, most thrilling super hero epic comedy drama EVER!!!" to "I mean... It's good MCU I guess... Not top tier I suppose... It's definitely got some flaws... I mean... It's okay..."

2. Thinks that Carol as written is so far a bit wooden and they do seem to want to FORCE a response on the audience that I'm not sure is as in love with the actress or the character as Feige and a lot of Larson and Feige boosters online would have us believe.

That laid out there...

Repeating the goofballness of GOTG? For this, the MCU's first solo female film? And one for a character... Never known to be a goofball?

Yeah... Fudge that.

Whedon is not getting any work that revolves around female characters any time soon.

Despite thinking Carol as played by Larson is a little too close to the vest with vulnerable emotions the dry wit does work and she is a good character who lays out an important lesson on how all of us, but especially young women should react to gaslighting relationships. It has a real, and important theme that actually matters in the real world.

And... Carol in the comics gets powers how?

Right...

It's really not all that different they just adjusted for the MCU but it's pretty much the same, fans like yourself think the exacting specifics from 50 year old comics matter in another medium.

I just can't help but find this type of fan response TODAY after over twenty straight years of Marvel and DC film and TV adaptations incredibly silly.

This comes from a person well known around here who:

1. Thinks half of the MCU is just... Okayish on it's best day, bland pablum on its worst. The other half ranges from decent to amazing... But that's not as amazing a quality batting average as the fans like to make out. A few years pass and inevitably we get the reviews changed from "This is the MCU firing on all cylinders! Greatest, most heartfelt, most thrilling super hero epic comedy drama EVER!!!" to "I mean... It's good MCU I guess... Not top tier I suppose... It's definitely got some flaws... I mean... It's okay..."

2. Thinks that Carol as written is so far a bit wooden and they do seem to want to FORCE a response on the audience that I'm not sure is as in love with the actress or the character as Feige and a lot of Larson and Feige boosters online would have us believe.

That laid out there...

Repeating the goofballness of GOTG? For this, the MCU's first solo female film? And one for a character... Never known to be a goofball?

Yeah... Fudge that.

Whedon is not getting any work that revolves around female characters any time soon.

Despite thinking Carol as played by Larson is a little too close to the vest with vulnerable emotions the dry wit does work and she is a good character who lays out an important lesson on how all of us, but especially young women should react to gaslighting relationships. It has a real, and important theme that actually matters in the real world.

And... Carol in the comics gets powers how?

Right...

It's really not all that different they just adjusted for the MCU but it's pretty much the same, fans like yourself think the exacting specifics from 50 year old comics matter in another medium.

I thought how Carol got her powers in the movie was pretty spot on. Changing the wish machine or whatever it was in the comics to the tessaract made total sense to me.

Of the ones I've seen, Captain Marvel is the worst to me. Because I feel like she had no personality after she landed on Earth. Like the Monstars came and zapped it away.
Also there were no good action scenes, the comedy wasn't anything special, it really suffered from "prequeling," and really left more questions than answers for me.
Nick Fury was funny and the MVP of the movie...in a vacuum. When I have to reconcile the fact that this is the same character we meet chronologically like 15 years later, it just comes off as weird. To be fair, Iron Man/Iron Man 2 Nick Fury is way different than the Fury that we got starting in Avengers 2012. He's way more jokey and lively in his earlier appearances. So that's my headcanon for why he is like he is in CM. But I'm one of those people that thinks if I have to create a headcanon for a detail such as that, then that's poor writing. And I get the "he's younger so he's not as jaded" but he wasn't like 20 years old, he was like 40 something in CM. It was too much for me to try and reconcile.

CM might not be the worst made MCU movie, but even the worst made MCU movies have higher highs to balance out the lows. Like Thor 2 is probably the worst made one, but at least that has some personality with Hemsworth and Hiddleston. And some bits of the action were cool. For me CM only has Fury, and that's iffy, then the Skrull twist as the only things I like

But yeah Captain Marvel. Nothing memorable there. I didn't leave And it sucks because 1) Larson was my top choice for the role 2) the discourse for hating the movie was annoying so I wanted to like it (that being said painting anyone who dislikes the movie as sexist or an incel is annoying too) 3) and to be blunt there are not that many women led SH movies and I don't wanna dislike one

Nick Fury was funny and the MVP of the movie...in a vacuum. When I have to reconcile the fact that this is the same character we meet chronologically like 15 years later, it just comes off as weird. To be fair, Iron Man/Iron Man 2 Nick Fury is way different than the Fury that we got starting in Avengers 2012. He's way more jokey and lively in his earlier appearances. So that's my headcanon for why he is like he is in CM. But I'm one of those people that thinks if I have to create a headcanon for a detail such as that, then that's poor writing. And I get the "he's younger so he's not as jaded" but he wasn't like 20 years old, he was like 40 something in CM. It was too much for me to try and reconcile.
I can forgive it because Jackson gives one of the best performances in the movie but Fury having basically an entirely different personality has always been my biggest issue with Captain Marvel. Sure, he quipped a bit in his earlier MCU appearances (Iron Man 2 and Age of Ultron come to mind) but in Captain Marvel he came across as a fun-loving dorky dad. Did the gradual loss of sight in his left eye cause him to become saltier in the 13 years between Captain Marvel and Iron Man? Because I'd be pretty pissed too if I had lost my eye that way.

I genuinely don't understand even being bothered by that. 'Angry' Fury was the one man in the world holding almost all the responsibility for protecting the entire human race from things most people don't even know exist. CM Fury was a mid-level agent who was almost as ignorant about all the horrible things yet to come as everyone else. Add to that the fact that he pretty clearly eventually learned some lessons from the Batman book of using dramatic license to manipulate his enemies based on how he acts as Director, whereas early in his career he was really just thinking about doing the job in front of him and doing it right. The difference doesn't feel even remotely strange to me.

I genuinely don't understand even being bothered by that. 'Angry' Fury was the one man in the world holding almost all the responsibility for protecting the entire human race from things most people don't even know exist. CM Fury was a mid-level agent who was almost as ignorant about all the horrible things yet to come as everyone else. Add to that the fact that he pretty clearly eventually learned some lessons from the Batman book of using dramatic license to manipulate his enemies based on how he acts as Director, whereas early in his career he was really just thinking about doing the job in front of him and doing it right. The difference doesn't feel even remotely strange to me.

I found his characterization to be pretty consistent in CM as well. He might have been 'lighter' in CM but I choose to see that as a conscious choice on his part to show how the intervening years had affected his character. Time does have a tendency to harden people lol...

As for the movie itself, I'll go on record and say I enjoyed it. Was it a top tier MCU entry? No, but it was enjoyable and I didn't feel like I had wasted my time watching it. And I thought Brie was just fine in it. She portrayed a nice mix of vulnerability partially masked by false bravado. I don't understand the animosity against CM at all...

Bring on The Marvels!

Last edited:
Weakest MCU movie......Eternals.

Until the mid and end credits scenes i saw no reason to call it a MCU movie.

Incredible Hulk is the least weak in my opinion. The character is truly tragic. Also all the acts are entreteining(bruce escaping from Brazil, bruce figuring out how to hide in the campus while Emil Blonsky is mutating and for sure the final act) and you can understand the origin of Hulk in the first 20 minutes. General Ross is a good villain but is not intimating because he is only doing his job and has a fair point with it nor he is putting in danger several lives on purpose. Emil in other hand is the weakest point of the movie. It could have been great if his thirst of power was because he was unemployed so returning to be a soldier and enhancing himself in order to don´t lose his job was his motivation. The problem is that taking Hulk´s blood as a serum on purpose destroys that.

Iron Man 2 is fine. I´d say that it could´ve been great if they hinted The Mandarin and if the Mandarin wasn´t a joke in Iron Man 3. For me one of the problems of Marvel trilogies is that they don´t hold up as such. The villains are unrelated each other. Something that doesn´t happen with Star Wars OT, Star Wars PT or Spiderman OT. Captain America is the one who hold up the most mainly because in Winter Soldier and Civil War the protagonist has to deal with the fact that is lost in time and Bucky is the only thing present of his time with him.

Thor 2 is like Captain America IMO. The action sequences aren´t great, not even for early 2000s comic book standards but it sets character arcs(Thor depression by losing all and Loki redemption in MCU Sacred Timeline, Classic Loki redemption and the protagonist variant of Loki redemption) and Macguffins(the reality stone) that will be important for the saga.

For me the weakest at the moment is Captain Marvel. Her character doesn´t bring anything new to the table. It doesn´t dive in the Kree Holy War mentioned by Ronan, her character could´ve replaced by not vanishing other guardian of the Galaxy in Infinity War, Guardians of Galaxy and Asgardians could´ve taken down Thanos ship and her movie generates a huge plothole in MCU that is Furies knowledge about aliens. Such knowledge forced Fury for the events of Avengers movie. Bastion of MCU. Also: Karol Danvers conflict isn´t a redemption arc like Loki in his show or Iron Man in his movie nor it is a tragic character like Captain America in the second movie or The Incredible Hulk nor it is character who has to handdle his personal life in parallel of his hero life like Spiderman in Spiderman 2. Also it´s villains are not interesting. An Empire chasing a race that seems having no chance and? They never mentioned the reason of the Kree to chase the Skrulls and setting doesn´t help represent the scale of the conlfict like Guardians of The Galaxy. Lets see if Captain Marvel will age better but taking in consideration that haven´t set character arcs or MacGuffins for the main saga like Thor, Captain America or Thor 2 did I doubt it.

Last edited:
Still Thor the Dark World for me. I've seen Eternals, and a lot of the character moments are too surface level, a lot of them needed more development and better writing and the eXposition can be a bit overwhelming and confusing. But I didn't find the film cringey compare to Thor the Dark World.

But I think in terms of critical reception, I would be surprised if we get a badly reviewed movie as Eternals so soon. Looking at the mcu's rotten tomatoes page, Eternals stands out like a sore thumb with that rotten rating.
I watched The Dark World the other day.
Still the worst, BY FAR!

Eternals is the first MCU movie in a good while I haven't pre-ordered on 4K. So that says something.

I did enjoy it at the cinema but am in no rush to watch it again.

I think technically it would be Spider-Man 3 now.

Like... idk how everyone else sees it, but to me, between Loki and NWH, Raimi and Webbs spider-man films are now MCU films.

in that regard the worst 3 MCU films are sony films.

Spider-man 3
Amazing spider-man 2
and venom: let there be carnage

Thor The Dark World is now 4th from the bottom.

I think technically it would be Spider-Man 3 now.

Like... idk how everyone else sees it, but to me, between Loki and NWH, Raimi and Webbs spider-man films are now MCU films.

in that regard the worst 3 MCU films are sony films.

Spider-man 3
Amazing spider-man 2
and venom: let there be carnage

Thor The Dark World is now 4th from the bottom.

Interesting point. I guess with the Multiverse, everything is now part of the MCU in some little pocket somewhere. The Fox X-Men films will probably become Multiverse canon too after MOM...

And I'd still argue that the first two Holland Spider-Man films are worse than any of the Raimi films but that's just a matter of personal opinion...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"